HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

I followed the instructions except I used Windows 2000 advanced server instead of Windows 2000 and I'm installing via the network with Rapid Deployment System by HP. I ran into one problem. During the file copy portion of the installation, I receive the following error for 2 files: "Windows 2000 Server Setup Setup cannot copy the file: nsisapi.exe". Same error for nspmon.exe.

This message can be generated when the file names are not upper cased prior to building the CD as I pointed out in this thread some time ago. However, the thread guru did not respond leading me to believe that he does not understand this. Both nLite and XPcreate learned this along the way.

Edited by BeenThereB4

@tripleX - According to KB890046, it has no bearing on the line you quoted from HFSLIP.  The line you quoted was due to a webvw.dll issue.  If you have issues with your installation, please post the results from HFNETCHK otherwise I can't help. 

O.k., let´s see if I can find this tool, in the meantime I installed (again) a slipstreamed version made with hfslip-050818 and the result -> I will do it the "official" way for now ...

tripleX

@tommyp - Even though you haven't tested hfslip with Win2k, it works great! fdv is correct in that I don't really need those 2 files, I was just posting for info and in case someone allready knew how to fix it. Since i last posted, I've renamed my unattend.txt file to winnt.sif and run hfslip_50821.cmd again. This time mpeg2data.ax could not be copied. I'm hopeing this is not some kind of random error :}

@fdv - You are correct, I don't really need thsoe 2 files. It just would be nice to have no errors! I will try and comment out those entries TXTSETUP and LAYOUT.

Thanks for the help! :thumbup

@BeenThereB4 - I don't know if you are being sarcastic or not in this wonderful world of the internet, but can you verify that the files that bireland mentions are on the CD for 2000 server? I can't because I just don't have it. The script is set up for a cd installation, not a network install that bireland did. HFSLIP even says that it is intended for installing from a CD when you run the program. But it's nice to hear what happens when the script can be capable of. As far as capilization goes, I have never ever had any issues with upper/lowercase filenames on my installation cds. In fact, I'm not sure if you checked lately, but if you slipstream (not hflsip) SP4 onto W2K, and/or if you slipstream (not hfslip) SP2 onto XP, you'll see lowercase filenames on some of the files. Those sources seem to install fine for lots of people. So I'm not sure what you're getting at with the capitilization mandate.

@bireland - Slipstreaming IE6 is more than fileswaps for it to work. I think the traditional method of slipstreaming IE6 isn't really slipstreaming at all. It's just running the IE6 installer at the SVCPACK.INF.

@all IE removers - have a look at

http://www.osbetaarchive.com/index.php?showtopic=7011&hl=

it would seem that litestep and aveshell have been made to run on a windows system as the shell without explorer.exe. previously, this was only possible under certain circumstances with other software (samurai) but now it would seem that has changed.

ie-free users who are interested in running windows programs but scrapping much of the os might find this project interesting.

Edited by fdv

@TommyP:

Attached the WU.txt.

It doesn´t show the missing 890046 fix, but the cmd line version of

mbsa 2 does, after manual installation of 890046 mbsa 2 is happy.

Setuperror detailed information (add. info to my previous post):

- msxml3.dll sp2 orig version 8.50.2162.0

after slipstreaming version 8.50.2162.0

(maybe the mystery sp7 version expected ?)

- winhttp.dll sp2 orig version 5.1.2600.2180

after slipstreaming version 5.1.2600.1366

Edit: Msxml3.0 SP7 is available from MS, here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...74-F752BDCA9582

Would it be possible to slipstream Msxml3.0 Sp7, too?

wu.txt

Edited by tripleX

Slipstreamer doesn't integrate for Polish version Windows of these hotfix:

KB901214

KB890046

and i must install KB898461

WU.txt

Scan performed Fri Sep 02 06:53:37 2005
Shavlik Technologies Network Security Hotfix Checker, 3.86
Using XML data version = 1.1.2.609  Last modified on 8/25/2005.

----------------------------
DZIUBEK-A6BF525 (192.168.23.128)
----------------------------

* WINDOWS XP SP2

Patch NOT Installed  MS04-041  Q885836
The registry key **SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\Windows
XP\SP3\KB885836** does not exist.  It is required for this patch to
be considered installed.

Patch NOT Installed  MS05-009  Q887472
File C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe has a file version
[4.7.0.3000] that is less than what is expected [4.7.0.3001].

Patch NOT Installed  MS05-036  Q901214
File C:\WINDOWS\system32\icm32.dll has a file version
[5.1.2600.2180] that is less than what is expected [5.1.2600.2709].

* INTERNET EXPLORER 6 SP2

Information    
There are no entries for Internet Explorer 6 SP2 in the XML file.

* WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 9.0 GOLD

Warning    MS03-040  Q828026
File C:\WINDOWS\system32\msdxm.ocx has a file version [6.4.9.1130]
that is greater than what is expected [6.4.9.1128].

excellent work Lords :)

wu1rm.th.png

@fdv @tommyp

Edit: talking about windows 2000 pro and webvw.dll

I don't know the benefits about the new version of webvw.dll but I know that if you want to use the last version of this file you have to replace the file winnt\web\webview.js (it's the corrupted file in italian version... and I think in all other international version that have the "computer near me" issue)

You can replace such file bringing a copy of it from a 'normal' installation of Win2k+sp4. (!!!warning it differ language by language!!!) :P

this is only an info, infact using webvw.dll of sp4 could be right too. (as you do in this version of hfslip)

...I don't know the benefits(? :realmad: seem microsoft enjoying make corrupted files) of the new version...

sure fdv knows it :thumbup

Hope this will help you...

AH, I'm forgetting... Great, great work tommyp!!!

bye

Edited by lupo

@lupo - indeed we do know about this :D we preferred to keep the DLL and use the newer .JS file because the .JS file has an exploit associated with it. The DLL seemed the safer choice when running IE 5 or 6 with currently-issued hotfixes. We appreciate the feedback and the info :thumbup

@bireland - RIS guide. This might help you. nLite's problem with RIS, documented here, does not mention uppercase or lowercase filenames as BeenThereB4 posts. BTB4, if this is the case please post a thread we can get the filename case information from, thx

TommyP i've tested your HFSLIP and got something error on it. i've followed your instructions well. i'm a beginner on it. when i try to test or Installing Windows. it boot from CD fine and format the drive and copy neccessary files fine. when it rebooted it appears the windows 2000 startup logo but after that it keeps on resarting. i've followed your instructions well but something wrong on my installation. i've done it in windows 2000 pro english

Malonie, please ZIP and post:

- the names of the files in your HF folder (NOT the files, JUST the names)

- indicate if you are slipstreaming IE6

- indicate if you are using the FDV IE removal fileset

- Your hfnetchk log - this is HFNETCHK -V -F C:\WU.TXT

- You're not forgetting to put these into a ZIP file, are you?

@ Malonie

Having an error(s) on the first few tries (with anything) is not uncommon. It took me a few trial runs to get HFSLIP running perfectly for me. I tested each run on a virtual pc in order to troubleshoot any problems.

Sometimes when I can't find the problem I start again from scratch:

Take all hotfixes, files, etc out of the various folders

Possibly redownload HFSLIP

Start again at STEP ONE of the directions reading carefully and assuming nothing. (This will be where I most likely went wrong.) If you find something in the directions you don't quite understand ask for clarification here in the forum/thread.

HANG IN THERE - YOU'LL GET IT !! - If I can get it to work anyone can B)

Hey folks, new version of my fileset here.

synopsis:

a few new regedits

hfslip can slim down your ie-free win2k cd if you read instructions carefully

registry cleaning now takes places at a better time to eliminate ie keys

you can uncomment IEACCESS.INF inside of SYSOC and add html help and the ability to view web pages in explorer (a rudimentary ie), but i don't recommend it, it's just for html help addicts

you might accidentally find that you don't need wga

Edited by fdv