HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@tommyp:

I get the error both with and without fdv's files. They have no effect on it.

The only additional strage issues that I had with fdv files were the _____ instead of writing (which I am not 100% sure that is connected, but it seems to have been solved after reinistalling directx), and the missing add/remove (reason/solution unknown...).

I do not have the box on which I installed windows 2000 here, however, I do have a box here with Windows XP and the same usb audio device. Under Windows XP, the following files are used for the device:

under system32: ksuser.dll, ksproxy.ax, wdmaud.drv

under system32\drivers: drmk.sys, ks.sys, portcls.sys, stream.sys, usbaudio.sys

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

STEP 4 (XP) http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html

Windows Media Player 10

Media Player 10 can go into HF folder if you want it slipstreamed. It will be installed with TWO less skins, but otherwise it will appear fully slipstreamed. If you prefer to have the two skins that are with WMP10, then put the WMP10 installer into the HFSVPK_SW folder instead and it will be integrated instead (see below, next step).

HEY IS THIS RIGHT ?

I just noticed this today which I believe has been changed from when the instructions first came out. If so why didn't anybody say anything !! :realmad: !!

Nobody ever tells me nuth'n ROFLMAO :P

I thought I read that the new version out did not effect english users?

(insert emoticon with a seeing eye dog)

Has the empty.txt thing been fixed?

Edited by Outatouch

Ok now for the real reason I was lookin at the instructions again.

I am wondering about using RyanVM's Hotfix Update Pack (and his addon packs)for slipstreaming the Hotfixes and now I guess for his WMP10addon pack (this is for winXP of course).

His packs are .cab's.

Can this be done? Should this be done? Why or why not? Advantages v. disadvantages?

Just some idle curiousities...

@Tomcat76 - Please tell me which webvw.dll works.  SP4?  Rollup?  The kb894320 update?  I could have sworn you said the rollup version worked for you.

No... The SP4 version only... :)

I've tried the three versions I have, and the "broken" installation (partition 2) will only accept the original SP4 version.

I can get version 5.0.2920.0 (SP4) of the file working properly if I unregister/reregister it first.  Versions 5.0.3900.7009 (Rollup 1) and 5.0.3900.7036 (KB894320) just don't work.

@Outtatouch - I noticed the same thing with WMP10 earlier this week. If you do that installation, you'll be missing a slew of codecs and other junk. So, the next iteration will be out in a bit that includes the "improved" method of slipstreaming WMP10. Yes, the next version corrects the empty.txt issue.

@Tomcat76 - The next revision will have the swimp (software improvement). HAHA

Ok, the new file is up. WMP10 is slipstreamed for XP. WindowsUpdateAgent is slisptreamed (with localization), Empty.txt file corrected, Tomcat's webvw.dll issue is resolved.

Enjoy. Comments appreciated. Please remember that if you have issues with your specific language, please say which language you are having trouble with, and please post your HFNETCHK output if applicable. If you are working with W2K, please post your HF folder directory listing as a ZIP file on your post and whether or not you are integrating FDV's files. There is too many options for slipstreaming W2K.

WOW this thread can move fast sometimes.

@pene -

1. add/remove is IE-dependant. see http://www.vorck.com/2ksp5.html#12 for a replacement. see the note under UnClean2 and MyUninstaller. I use UnClean2.

2. Task Scheduler. a system DLL keeps creating the folder, but tries to make calls to the CLSID for Task Scheduler, which is gone, so it comes up with no name. AFAIK there is no way to keep this from being created. I forget if it's SHDOCVW or SHELL32 or what.

3. my files used to remove the IE icon. then, guess what MS did? their new SHDOCVW started placing the icon instead of the IE DLLs. it's just another attempt at system integration. delete manually. i might have a fix for this later.

4. no idea. new to me. never even heard of this. i have DX9 slipstreamed, by the way, not integrated. putting a silent installer DX9 in the HFSVPK folder will integrate rather than slipstream, and you won't have this problem... sorry i took that out of the documentation but that is an option. i'll put it back in.

@kreative19 - i am stumped. as long as you are not mixing languages, i dunno. no one else is having any reported problems with outlook. also, no one reports Internet Connection Wizard problems. i hope you aren't trying to use some kind of mix of my files or something. OS2fan uses dialup, now that i think of it, so i call out to...

@os2fan - when you slipstream ie6, do you have any issues like kreative19 describes?

also, kreative19, be sure to use 8.3 naming when adding programs to HFSVPK or HFSVPK_SW. (i think that rule is still in effect, right?)

@Outatouch - sorry man! :blushing: documentation changes all the time... but you are one of the few who actually reads everything :thumbup (believe me, that earns you a medal) as for RyanVM, no, HFSLIP is not compatable. it's just the way his fileset is designed. for sh??s and giggles you could put it in the HFCABS folder and keep the HF folder empty (or expand the CAB and put it all into FIX and keep HF empty) and report back to us. it's just that RyanVM uses a different approach, but HFSLIP lets you leave whatever you might not want out.

Edited by fdv

Updated download. Includes the corrected typo's and the French fix.

Also, don't bother expanding RyanVM's package into the fix folder. You'll have the latest binaries, but you'll be missing a slew of registry entries.

@ fdv

No I did not include the IE5 hotfix as per directions given by you in the site "Keeping Internet Explorer 5 or removing IE later (skip this file if you are integrating IE6)

IE5.01sp4-KB896727-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe

There are shell files such as SHDOCVW.DLL that should be updated even if you will not be installing Internet Explorer" Because I am integrating IE6.

Secondly please let me know that where should I put these cab files (swflash, muweb etc) which are downloaded from net in the folder Downloaded Program Files so that they are integrated.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply's guys! :thumbup

I wasn't especially leaning toward going the RyanVM packs route. I mainly wondered if it was even an option if I could be convinced to use them. I've got HFSLIP working too well and seemingly so close to getting it just the way I want it. I'm not about to mess it up now :P B)

@TommyP

Are you saying HFSLIP version 50827 will Slipstream WMP10 onto XP but it will be missing codecs etc. And the next HFSLIP version will address that?

I just ran v50827 with WMP10 in my HF folder and it seemed to work just fine btw. Of course I didn't test the player itself on VirtualPC but the player itself is there and didn't indicate any errors. :thumbup

GREAT JOB on gettin it out there so quick!

I've got a few updates that WU wants to re-install. (as on prev version of HFSLIP) I just re-D/L'ed them and will try another run. This is not my foremost concern right now though.

HFSLIP IS TRULY AN AWSOME PROGRAM !!!!

Edited by Outatouch

Anybody uses Pyron's method for installing drivers unattended ?

When I use this method it seems that running .exe, .cmd, .inf and .reg files in SVCPACK folder from svcpack.inf is broken - they don't run. And when I don't use Pyron's method they run without problem.

There is no problem with my customized .inf and .cmd files - I can run them from cmdlines.txt. And I can run all .exe files with a .cmd file from cmdlines.txt also. But there are some other files like HFSLIPIE.CMD and all .cats in SVCPACK folder that maybe don't run also (I don't know for sure). How can I confirm that all hotfixes are installed properly?

I'm using Daisy v2.2, 62nds.com and M$ Windows Update to check the new installation and everything looks to be fine when I don't use Pyron's set of files (M$ Update complains about two critical hotfixes that are not needed). But when I use his set one more hotfix is shown that should be installed.

And frankly speeking I'd like to get rid of OEM folder and cmdlines.txt - it is possible with HFSLIP :thumbup

tommyp

Any chance you include drivers integration in your script? At least Intel Chipset and other chipsets :whistle:

fdv

I had a problem with Internet Connection Wizard when was trying to establish a new connection through modem - it was just keeping to say that the chosen name is incorrect no metter of what kind of name I choose (a word or a number) and didn't let me create the connection. Sorry, I didn't investigate it further.

And I had a problem with OE - it installed and could be run but after I ran FireFox only once OE wouldn't start again. Didn't investigate it either.

The booting time for the newest set of files was long too (it was much faster when I used sp4files and it is much faster without your set of file so the problem is not in the appz I'm running).

Windows 2000 Professional SP4 English is here.

You've done and doing a great job but I have to postpone of using your files untill I have some more free time for computing and experimenting (I have to get free from the computer, I've been spending too much time on it last two years, I want to have some real LIFE :)

By the way, I tried to use a couple of empty files for mstask.inf and msnetmtg.in_ and they seem to work after the "regular" installation - Task Sheduler and Net Meeting are not installed. But after using it there is one more hotfix shown for Task Sheduler :blink: Is it possible to "hack" it through regestry so that it doesn't show on Windows Update? And is it secure to use such empty files during the installation?

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Edited by Oleg_II