HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Windows runs a lot faster without throbbers, and you get more real-estate!  You can't do it by a reg-file, though...., because it's a single bit in a long binary string...

here 'tis

thanks BTW for those other proggie suggestions i'll check them out

throbr.reg

but Microsoft Security Bulletin tells windows 2000 Pro is not affected from this issue... (but only W2000 server)

So if I use W2k pro I can not include it,

Is it right?

hey lupo, how's things...

this is a common misconception, that if a patch is for a different edition of the same OS, you couldn't use it. don't worry. no, you don't need it, but if won't hurt if you do throw it in there. HFSLIP will just take the new file and replace the old one even though your version of win2k won't install it. if it can't use it, HFSLIP will just discard the file! pretty cool, huh? B) no harm done either way.

jpascal's reading -- his act of heroism :D -- reminds me that those of us who have been around since the beginning* should be going back and editing posts as information gets out of date. so far, this really applies only to tommyp, me, and bilou, and we have done this, because old discussion and quotes of posts that no longer exist can just confuse new arrivals.

as we move forward -- and many of you have been doing this anyway -- please be sure to edit out of your posts things that will never come up again or that become totally irrelevant (no need to delete all the text of course, the goal is just to cut down confusion). this has been fdv's public service message :lol:

os2fan be sure to let me know what happened with my files and slipstreaming IE6, which is what I currently use as my OS. I checked out bootable cd loader; very cool for old machines, and i do have a bunch, that can't be set to boot from cd. (i have a very cut down win2k running on a pentium one 200MHz with 32Mb RAM for example)

all anyone ever tried 7-max to speed up applications?

* for those who are new to the thread, this may seem odd, but HFSLIP started life as merely a way to slipstream IE6 into Windows 2000.

Edited by fdv

The throbber.reg thing that fdw put up does indeed work, but the thing resets the full set of buttons in the process: it turns everything off and on to the reg settings to dethrob the throbber.

The actual rexx script was based on a description of what was really needed. This is the one from my external menu in "bartpe", the necessary rexx processer lives in a pathed directory \programs\exe, while the script lives in \programs\registry

We use two freeware proggies to do the heavy lifting: this works on Windows NT, 98 and later. It will work on Windows 95, if you have the mscv60.dll runtime present.

need:

1. regina from http://regina-rexx.sourceforge.net/index.html

2. w32utils and regutils from http://home.interlog.com/~ptjm/software.html

3. filerexx from http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/rexx/rexxuser.htm

The minimun runtime is regina.exe, regina.dll, w32util.dll, rexxutil.dll, and filerexx.dll (all in the path). You will need to have the mscv60.dll runtime for Win95, but it is better to install this using the MSFT install routine.

This rexx script only uses regina and w32util, but the other two are quite handy to have lying around. It's quite portible, small, etc, and one can add .rex to run as commands from the command-line.

Unlike the reg file, this *just* sets the throbbers on or off. You should close all instances of the affected programs (ie have no windows open, and then run "file run", and then launch the command processor.

This is a sample batch (change the file locations in it), for launching it from an icon. Its default behavour is to deactivate the shell throbber, and leave the exploiter (MSIE) one on. [it is very important, when you pay a dollar an hour for prepaid dialup, to see if you have browser windows open.

@echo off
:: This command removes the throbber, without upsetting the other
:: shell settings.  This is preferrable to using the .reg files.
\programs\exe\regina.exe \programs\exe\throb.rex 0 1
echo Shell throbber turned off
pause
exit

/* Shell throbber/dethrobber.  The core now works.  */
numeric digits 50

regroot = 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER'
regbase = 'Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\'
regword = 'ITBarLayout'

call rxfuncadd 'w32loadfuncs', 'w32util', 'w32loadfuncs'
call w32LoadFuncs
parse arg a1 a2
if pos(a1,'012') = 0 then do
say "THROB.REX non-distructively alters the throbber in IE and the Shell"
say ""
say "the throbber is the little rotating thing in the top right hand corner"
say "of the window"
say "This is to be run under the target system, not in PE boot"; say
say "Usage: THROB shell ie"
say "   0   turn off the throbber"
say "   1   turn on the throbber"
say "   2   just look."; say ""
say "if the throbber is on, then the last hex digit is a letter or over 8"
say "a value of 0 to 7 means it is off".
end
if pos(a1,'012') = 0 then a1 = 2
if pos(a2,'012') = 0 then a2 = 2

/* Shell Browser */
call regpeek 'ShellBrowser', a1
call regpeek 'Explorer', a1
/* IE */
call regpeek 'WebBrowser', a2

exit

regpeek:
parse arg t0, t1
reghere = w32regopenkey(regroot, regbase || t0)
if reghere=0 then do; call w32regclosekey(reghere); return; end;
k1 =  w32regqueryvalue(reghere, regword)
parse var k1 1 k1a 33 k1b 34 k1c
select
 when t1 = 1 then r1 = b2x( bitor(x2b(k1b), '00001000'))
 when t1 = 0 then r1 = b2x(bitand(x2b(k1b), '11110111'))
 when t1 = 2 then r1 = k1b
 otherwise; r1 = k1b; say 'invalid option' t1; end
r0 = w32regqueryvaluetype( reghere, regword)
r2 = k1a || r1 || k1c
s1 = w32regsetvalue(reghere, regword, r0, r2)
if s1=0 then s2 = 'Y'; else s2 = 'N'
call w32regclosekey(reghere)
say t1 left(t0,20) r0 k1b r1 s2
return

Once an OS/2 user, always an OS/2 user :S

Edited by os2fan2

I normally keep all three lying around. You can easily integrate something like MS-DOS 7.10.2222 into one of them, which means you can boot from the floppy as well as the cdrom.

I found that sometimes one or more of them don't work on every machine, and both the grub and bcdl diskettes allow you to store ordinary files (eg key files, reg scripts, winnt.sif) on then.

The main reason for suggesting all three was because my experience is that one or more don't work on machine X. It's also much faster (and safer) to boot modern machines from a disk that redirects to cdrom, than to fiddle bios. For this, i use a write protected smart boot manager. It allows you to pick external drive (like cd0 or cd1) to boot from, and you can refresh its memory as well.

smb = http://btmgr.webframe.org/

trying to find errors:

my machine is xp pro sp2, but I'm trying to build a w2k cd (perhaps that's wrong?)

1. original german w2k pro incl. sp2

2. w2ksp4 integrated -> edit: vmware testing: reboot-problem :w00t:

3. hfslip50821 -> errors.txt and standardout.txt (7ziped from 2mb to 100K)

edit: vmware test obsolet

difference between now and my former succesful vm-tests:

1. vm V4<->V5

2. nlite 0.99<->1.05/1.06 (as an ISO-builder)

so forget about the 'boot-problem'

nevertheless I keep the attachment as a result of an german hfslip-test

bye bye

output.7z

Edited by murvun

These problems are with context to HFSLIP posted on 21st August, 2005

Outlook express / Address does not work message cannot switch

connections.

Cannot make internet connection via dialup error in icwconn1.exe

using IE 6 and windows 2000 SP4 and are using ALL hotfixes recommended by you.

Thanks

@kreative19 - you say ALL hotfixes. tell me, you didn't include the IE5 hotfix, did you?

wow, just was reading another forum. seems someone takes HFSLIP's meteoric rise so personally. so, we give him a 21 folder solute. :whistle::P

Edited by fdv

@tommyp:

There is a problem with integration of directx. I have a totally standard USB audio device (uses the standard windows 2000 usb audio device driver), which refuses to work when directx is slipstreamed (an ! is displayed next to the device in device manager, saying the device cannot be started).

It did not happen with the previous hfslip when directx was ran as a silent install, and also if I install directx over an installaion where it was slipstreamed it solves the issue.

Also take a look at point 4 in the notes for fdv below. However, I am not 100% that what I write there is true...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@fdv:

I had to install Windows 2000 on a Pentium2/333 with 64MB of ram, so I tried your ie remove files, and really liked the results. A few questions is I may:

1. Add/Remove programs is not present in the Control Panel. Is it supposed to be like that? (It could be, I guess, maybe it uses IE...). If it is not a bug, then can you recommend a program that offers the same functionality?

2. I have an icon in the Control Panel with no name under it, and clicking it also does nothing... What is it? Could it be fixed so it won't appear there?

3. This is just a suggestion: On a clean installation the Internet Explorer shortcut is displayed on the desktop. Why not remove it?

4. After a clean installation I had trouble with some fonts. More than half of the programs would display ________ instead of words... At some point the problem disappeared, and I think (not 100% sure) that it was solved after reinstalling directx (take a look at the notes I wrote for tommyp above).

Just as a note (in case you wonder on what installation I had the problems above): Using the latest hfslip, I slipstremed all the fixes you recommend in the instructions (including IE5.01 fix, excluding anything that has to do with IE6), and I also slipstreamed directx.

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@kreative19 - you say ALL hotfixes. tell me, you didn't include the IE5 hotfix, did you?

wow, just was reading another forum. seems someone takes HFSLIP's meteoric rise so personally. so, we give him a 21 folder solute.  :whistle:  :P

No I did not include the IE5 hotfix as per directions given by you in the site "Keeping Internet Explorer 5 or removing IE later (skip this file if you are integrating IE6)

IE5.01sp4-KB896727-Windows2000sp4-x86-ENU.exe

There are shell files such as SHDOCVW.DLL that should be updated even if you will not be installing Internet Explorer" Because I am integrating IE6.

Secondly please let me know that where should I put these cab files (swflash, muweb etc) which are downloaded from net in the folder Downloaded Program Files so that they are integrated.

Thanks

New version is up.  Slight changes, none affecting english users.  Fixed the webvw.dll (will eliminate the kb894320 webvw.dll file).
I just made a CD for Win2K Pro Dutch and the problem is still there. The file in use is version 5.0.3900.7009, which is the one from the Update Rollup. I'll put the SP4 version of webvw.dll in to see if that fixes it.

@Tomcat76 - Please tell me which webvw.dll works. SP4? Rollup? The kb894320 update? I could have sworn you said the rollup version worked for you.

@Pene - Can you tell me the dll or sys file that has the ! in front of it? Do you get this error when using FDV's files? Or do you get it without using FDV's files?

@kreative19 - Someone posted a like for flash, I forgot the link, but the filename is flashplayer7_winax.exe. Place that file into the HFSVPK_SW and you'll have your flash installed.