HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

@tommyp, thanks for the tip, didn't know actually :lol:

@FDV, OK what you said makes sense. Easier, more flexible and easier to update by leaving stuff in and fixing only what you have to.

I was just trying to see if there was an easy way by editing your fileset to get rid of certain options like the "Easy Access" utilities, or certain junky system programs included in Win2k like Notepad (hate the fact it doesn't have wordwrap) and defrag.

I'll hack around with it, see if I can figure out anything.

I'd love to be able to just replace Notepad with something else in the install, same with defrag.

Thanks again.

@saugatak - You will be working in the files in FDVFILES for this:

open syssetup.in_ and find

[Accessories]
%cmd% = cmd.exe,cmd.exe,cmd.exe,0,%cmd_infotip%
%notepad% = notepad.exe,notepad.exe,,0,%notepad_infotip%

Put a semicolon in front of notepad, then find

[Infs.Always]
[....]
dfrg.inf,DefaultInstall

Put a semicolon in front of it

Save

Open TXTSETUP and LAYOUT and comment out:

defrag.chm   = 1,,,,,,,21,0,0
defrag.hlp   = 1,,,,,,,21,0,0
[....]
dfrg.inf     = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0    
dfrg.msc     = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
dfrgfat.exe  = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0    
dfrgntfs.exe = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0    
dfrgres.dll  = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0    
dfrgsnap.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0    
dfrgui.dll   = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0    
[....]
notepad.chm  = 1,,,,,,,21,0,0
notepad.exe  = 1,,,,,,,2,1,0
notepad.hlp  = 1,,,,,,,21,1,0

using semicolons in both files. (The lines above were taken from TXTSETUP just for illustration.)

Some notes on defrag (applies to all versions of Windows)

I don't know what this will do -- probably nothing except install without Notepad and Defragger -- but I just have to make the standard "here's how to do it but I don't know if it will make your cat die or cause an unemployed circus midget to chase you with a broadsword" disclaimer.

There is, of course, nLite as well for component removal. My way was developed as a tutorial and the files are only designed for things nearly everyone who hates IE wants to remove. Removing the built in defragger is not a common request :DnLite lets you be more flexible about it.

@tommyp:

The Viewers -- not the full Office packages. I'm familiar with slipstreaming full O2K, OXP & O2K3. I'd like to include the Viewers with your Total Slipstream package...

Edited by Tomcat76

I'd like to try adding the full Flash & Shockwave players. Has this been covered before?

I've found a bit of info on these forums about changing/editing flash.oc_ and swflash.in_, but that looks like what the .cab installer would do. On many systems, I've experienced the problem that IE uninstalls the Flash player plugin when clearing the TIF, and the only solution I could find was to use the full installer which can be downloaded here:

http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledg..._19166#download

Can I simply place both full installers (for Flash & Shockwave) in the SVPK_SW folder? If nobody knows this, I'll just give it a try myself.

@FDV, I'll give it a shot and tell you how it goes.

Just asking because the default utilities that come with the Windows OS (both 2k and XP) are not too great.

Win2k defrag obviously doesn't do pagefile, registry hives, boot files and MSFT tables. I understand WinXP defrag is better in that it does MSFT tables and boot files.

In any case, I liked what you did in replacing Win2k's NTDETECT.EXE and NTLDR with WinXP's (to make it faster). I was looking into replacing Win2k's awful defrag with XP's or even Diskeeper Lite, but couldn't figure out a way to do it and just said screw it.

Best thing to do is just get it out of there since I don't use it anyway and replace it with Sysinternal's page defrag and O&O's free O&ODefrag2k. I plan to do the same thing with Notepad and Disk Cleanup program.

BTW, FDV, a good replacement for Win2k's disk cleanup program is CrapCleaner, you can get it at ccleaner.com. Works a lot faster than Disk Cleanup and it's free.

FDV, which files do I have to hit if I want to get rid of extra languages that I won't use? I'd like to make my install CD as slim as possible.

Thanks again to you and TommyP for doing what M$ should have done in the first place.

in the readme

*Setup Part 7*  (Optional) Installing Self  Extracting Silent Switchless Installers/Programs/Regedits/INFs/CMDs

Place file into SVPK_NO_SW folder.  Filenames must have 8.3 formatting

Possibilities:

RyanVM's DOTNET SP1 Rollup (netfxsp1.exe)

REG files

CMD files (a carefully crafted one will work fine)

INF files (use "DefaultInstall" types)

now my question: where to put the .exe and .dll, which should installed by an .inf?

also into SVPK_NO_SW folder? or in the FIX folder?

(perhaps I can make my own copy-.inf and forget the $oem$ - tree.)

if someone could help?

thanks!

yesterday, I tried the hfslip(0806) in Chinese simplified version of win2000, but this time got another problem, the slipstreaming of IE and OE doesn't work, the about box of IE and OE shows error message like this: error 96, unspecific error. what is worse, when using IE, I could not type anything inside the webpage, so no search or email login possible.

post-8514-1123935111_thumb.jpg

@gzduke5 - I'll look into that issue you had. It may just go away at the next release of HFSLIP.

@saugatak - The intent of HFSLIP isn't to remove components of windows. HFSLIP is used to integrate hotfixes and such. If you need to remove components, please take a look into NLITE. It's a dynamite program.

@Tomcat76 - I'll digest the macromedia stuff.

A future release is planned in a day or two. You're all going to love it (I know I do hehehe).

I'm gonna try it on Win2K Dutch. Two problems...

1) MSXML 4.0 is not available in Dutch. Should I get something else instead? I'll be updating to the post-SP4 rollup and IE6SP1, if of relevance.

2) Any idea where to find the Dutch root certificate update? Or is it the same as the English one?

I'm also looking for switchless installers for .NET, JRE 1.5.0_04 and Acrobat Reader 7.0. Dutch, of course... B)

Edited by Tomcat76

@saugatak: I'm not sure why you would want to use NLITE using FDV's fileset. His fileset produces a nice & tidy OS, free from bloat. I don't see a need to run NLITE on his source.

@Tomcat76: MSXML4 is optional. If you really need it for an application, you'll get prompted by the application. With non-English applications like Adobe and such, I do not slipstream foreign applications like that. Your best bet would be to visit unattended.msfn.org and read up there. The intent of HFSLIP isn't to support all of your unattended installation needs. As far as the rootsupdate goes, if you visit WU and it says you are missing the rootsupdate file, then you'll have the correct download for your localized source. Since you are using a dutch source, I would recommend waiting until the new release comes out. It will save you a lot of heartburn.

Edited by tommyp