HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

In one month MS will no doubt issue hotfixes and WinUpdate will complain again. What is this thing with making it happy? :P  :P

Just curious.

Well... I'm aware of the fact you can never be up-to-date, but I'm talking about a patch dated March 2003... :huh:
It all boils down to an obscure legal decision with MS Java
I believe you are referring to Sun.

I'm using JRE 1.5.0_04 so whether the MS version is up-to-date or not shouldn't be an issue. In that case I prefer to not see "unneeded" updates on WU...

Edited by Tomcat76

It's the only way to keep Windows Update happy. If I don't include the 5.6 update, WU complains. If I include 5.6, WU complains. If I include 5.1, WU no longer complains.

After installation can you open regedit and tell me this value?

go to

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}

and report me "version" value.

if you include scripten.exe 5,6,0,8825 should be the right value.

if it's less change the "version" value to the above.

Edited by lupo

go to

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{4f645220-306d-11d2-995d-00c04f98bbc9}

I have changed it to the correct value, and this makes WU no longer list the JScript update. However, this undoes the installation of the Windows Update Agent...

go to

I have changed it to the correct value, and this makes WU no longer list the JScript update. However, this undoes the installation of the Windows Update Agent...

@tommyp

the bug of the "version" value occur because scripten.exe isn't in HF folder but in

SVPK_SW folder... I don't know about Windows Update Agent...

...Good night!

Thanks Lupo.

@Tomcat76 - Why not just install the windows update agent AFTER the hfslip? As far as that last IE update not be installed (which is all but a registry change), you will see it installed when the next version of hfslip comes out (should be a few days). Are you installing anything else after installation? Weird reg tweaks maybe? Are you using a winnt.sif file? Are you testing on VMWARE's program that was suggested on the previous page?

I believe you are referring to Sun.
No, Microsoft versus Sun, MS lost.

As part of the settlement they can no longer issue new versions of the MS Java Virtual Machine, which is no longer installed when you install a slipstreamed version after SP3, IIRC. MS can update existing versions, though. This fix from 2003 is a fix for the MS Java Virtual Machine file that was part of Windows Scripting as an IE extension and has been phased out. The file JSCRIPT.DLL is an MS file meant as a fix for systems that fit within this narrow category, where the MS JVM exists (as in Windows 2000 RTM):

"Our settlement agreement with Sun allows us to make security fixes until January 2004. After that, our settlement does not allow us to make any changes to the Microsoft VM, even to fix critical defects or security holes." Source

"Customers are encouraged to take proactive measures to stay informed about obsolete software and move away from the MSJVM in a timely fashion. The MSJVM is no longer available for distribution from Microsoft and there will be no enhancements to the MSJVM." (September 12, 2003, Updated: August 16, 2004). Source

In that case I prefer to not see "unneeded" updates on WU...

I understand, just giving background to others who may see and not understand the why's behind this issue.

Why not just install the windows update agent AFTER the hfslip?
If you're talking about applying the patch manually to "SOURCESS", I think I could do that. Don't know what else you could mean by that...
As far as that last IE update not be installed (which is all but a registry change), you will see it installed when the next version of hfslip comes out (should be a few days).
I got a few days... :rolleyes:
Are you installing anything else after installation?
nForce4 chipset drivers (version 6.66)

ATi Catalyst 5.6 drivers (non-dotNET version, and 5.7 gives me errors in Event Viewer)

Pinnacle DC10Plus drivers (version 2.1)

Marvell Yukon 88E8053 drivers (version 8.30.3.3)

Creative Labs drivers (SB Live! Driver Pack II)

Weird reg tweaks maybe?
Not yet... :)
Are you using a winnt.sif file?
The last couple of times, no.
Are you testing on VMWARE's program that was suggested on the previous page?
No, but is it that different from "the real thing"? For me, it's important that it works "normally" so that's why I'm testing it "the normal way"...

We're closing in.

I owe you an apology because apparantly I can place scripten.exe and rootsupd.exe inside HF. There was another problem I noticed but I didn't mention it because I thought it wasn't relevant. One or more files inside SOURCE\I386 had gotten corrupt. I noticed that after I wanted to start out clean but Windows wouldn't let me delete some of the files inside the SOURCE\I386; I could only get rid of them after doing a chkdsk first. Did the files just got corrupt or am I not allowed to re-use the SOURCE folder? Either way, I'm copying over the files from the SP4-slipstreamed CD every time I make a new Total Slipstream now.

Putting scripten.exe (and rootsupd.exe) back in HF got me through the Windows setup without errors this time, and Windows Update doesn't require me to download the JScript 5.6 update anymore.

One new problem, though... :D

WU provides me with the 896727 update but I had it in the HF folder...

Edited by Tomcat76

Re FDV's latest SP5 fileset:

1. SYSOC.IN_

If I put a ";" in front of the following 2 entries, will I get rid of the accessibility start menu folder and corresponding programs (which I never use)?

AccessUtil=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,accessor.inf,,7

AccessOpt=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,optional.inf,,7

2. SYSSETUP.IN_

On FDV's Remove IE page, Fred says the following:

Let me take some space here to show this entry in my version of this file:

[infs.Always]

; ie.inf,DefaultInstall ; You _could_ install IE, if you wanted

; icwnt5.inf,DefaultInstall ; Internet Connection Wizard

; amovie.inf,DefaultInstall.NT ; Active Movie for IE

; wbemnt5.inf,DefaultInstall ; Web Based Enterprise Management

; mstask.inf,DefaultInstall.NT ; Task Manager - opens Port 135, is it really worth it?

; msoe50.inf,DefaultInstall ; Outlook Express

; wab50.inf,DefaultInstall ; Windows Address Book

; tshoot.inf,DefaultInstall ; Troubleshooter

; rsm.inf,DefaultInstall ; Removable Storage Manager requires COM

; msnetmtg.inf,DefaultInstall ; Netmeeting

; mplayer2.inf,DefaultInstall.NT ; Harmless - modded to only create associations for the GPL MP Classic

; rstorage.inf,DefaultInstall.NT ; Remote Storage Recall Notification

; icminst.inf,DefaultInstall ; defaults for Image Color Management 2.0

; apcompat.inf,DefaultInstall ; Application Compatability - trust me, you don't need it

When I looked at the latest version of the SYSSETUP.IN_ file, I saw the following:

[Registry Infs]

[infs.Always]

ie.inf,DefaultInstall

mdac.inf,DefaultInstall

icwnt5.inf,DefaultInstall

amovie.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

wbemnt5.inf,DefaultInstall

mstask.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

;msoe50.inf,DefaultInstall

;wab50.inf,DefaultInstall

tshoot.inf,DefaultInstall

dfrg.inf,DefaultInstall

rsm.inf,DefaultInstall

msinfo32.inf,DefaultInstall

axant5.inf,DefaultInstall

msnetmtg.inf,DefaultInstall

mplayer2.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

mpcodecs.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

rstorage.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

icminst.inf,DefaultInstall

apcompat.inf,DefaultInstall

shell.inf,DefaultInstall

;syssetup.inf,SpecialInstall

rca.inf,DefaultInstall

wmpocm.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

It looks like a lot of the programs that were commented out on Fred's web page aren't commented out in the latest SYSSETUP.IN_. Specifically, the following files:

ie.inf,DefaultInstall

icwnt5.inf,DefaultInstall

amovie.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

wbemnt5.inf,DefaultInstall

mstask.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

tshoot.inf,DefaultInstall

rsm.inf,DefaultInstall

msnetmtg.inf,DefaultInstall

mplayer2.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

rstorage.inf,DefaultInstall.NT

icminst.inf,DefaultInstall

apcompat.inf,DefaultInstall

Fred, I'm assuming that you got the above files out by other means and you're just force feeding these entries into the Windows Registry to fool Windows into thinking the above files are installed when they're not?

Edited by saugatak

@Tomcat76 - A bad drive will kill you every time. As I said in my post last nite, once the updated HFSLIP is released, the hotfix you mention will be taken care with WU (it's only a registry tweak BTW). Give a few days for me to finish up some tests before it's released.

As I said in my post last nite, once the updated HFSLIP is released, the hotfix you mention will be taken care with WU (it's only a registry tweak BTW).
I thought you were referring to the JScript update as I hadn't yet included the latest cumulative for IE when you wrote that.

So you're talking about the cumulative. Then I'll wait...

@saugatak - to answer #1, no, this will unfortunately not take both items from the start menu. The start menu is populated by SYSSETUP.INF in the beginning of the file. Carefully scanning the start of the file, you will see:

[StartMenuGroups]
Accessories = %accessories%,0
Accessibility = %accessibility%,0
Startup = %startup%,0
StartupCommon = %startup%,1
AdminTools = %admintools%,1
Entertainment = %accessories_entertainment%,0
StartMenuCommon = %startmenucommon%,0
SystemTools = %systemtools%,1

What you want to do in this case it to also add semicolons to Accessories. As for optional components, I don't have my notes at the ready... But perhaps commenting out in SYSOC.INF as you have noted also takes care of its start menu. I forget for Accessories (and will be away from my comp for the weekend, so you might have to troubleshoot that one on your own via trial and error unless it suddenly comes to me :blushing:

As for issue#2. You correctly note that my page doesn't quite match my files... My page only shows those things for illustration. I leave the INF entries in and the files are actually emptied out, so they never actually install. I did this for two reasons:

1. I needed to add registry settings and files at various times, so I just "hijacked" Microsoft's INF files. If you check out IE.INF, it has all sorts of IE removal info in it. The other files are simply blank (I planned on using many of them but ultimately never did), but if I ever need to add something like registry keys or filecopy operations, I can slip it into one of these hollowed-out INFs.

2. It's a byproduct of the way I was working when I created the latest fileset. Sometimes I'd have hundreds of things open, and in order to see what I was leaving out, it was easier to have an empty INF in a directory to see what I'd removed rather than having to keep re-opening SYSSETUP.

Ultimately, most of the files from these INFs under [infs.Always] get installed in TXTSETUP and LAYOUT, so I not only empty out their INFs, I comment their files out individually in those two files as well. You can freely comment out INF entries in [infs.Always] but MPLAYER2.INF and IE.INF should be left alone. (mplayer creates file type associations that are necessary, and IE normalizes the interface, adds interface tweaks, registers key DLLs, and guts the registry of IE junk). Makes no difference. Sorry for the confusion, I'll add a note to my page at some point about why the example's different from the file.

Cool, we're a sticky now. Guess it's getting good now.

@tomcat76 - If you want to install those office programs (or any other program), please visit

Link2

Link1

@saugatak - You probably knew this already, but it's worth mentioning. If you are modifying your installed source, do not modify the SOURCE folder. Modify the files in the SOURCESS instead.