HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hey Oleg_II don't worry about questions just keep them easy :P:D

You actually bring up a question I hadn't thought of. You could do what you propose. The file I created is a Type 2 Hotfix, technically. If you use the CMD file, you would not need the Outlook patch. Eventually, the IE 6 source files and their patches would also be eliminated.

For now, since it's really quite beta, I'd like to get feedback on how it installs on an already-installed system, like a system with Outlook 5.x. I'd also like to know how it installs on an Outlook-free system. For now when testing it don't install without IE files unless you are testing it under scenario #2, trying it out on an Outlook-free system.

I should note that either SFC should be off (not a problem for 99% of folks here anyway) or, if you get the popup box saying "insert your cd," keep clicking to use the new files. Let me know what happens in any case via email.

BTW also, this file is not for XP, it's only for 2k. (Well, okay, I suppose it could be for XP SP1, but not SP2).

...a brief message. First post updated to show the new release. I was a bit fancy and added in bold text this time. One of these days I'll figure out how to use this keyboard better.

Kudos to FDV for hosting.

d3dim.dll is a part of w2k+sp4 and to me (in italian version) result that is not modified from the script

in your SOURCE folder there is a file called d3dim.dl_?

and in your SOURCESS folder?

If the first answer is yes and the second is no try to do the Total Slipstream in a  volume with more free disk space.

The file "d3dim.dl_" is in the source folder and in the sourcess Folder. I thing I have enought space for building it... I thing 30GB free space sould be enough...

I will try a complete new SP4 slipstream CD today. So perhaps there is something wrong with some files... I hope :huh:. An Windows2000 with a slipstreamed IE6 would be very nice...

...a brief message.  First post updated to show the new release.  I was a bit fancy and added in bold text this time.  One of these days I'll figure out how to use this keyboard better. 

Kudos to FDV for hosting.

I use POLISH version windows xp. I used for 34 hotfixes your SLIPSTREAMER:

WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe WindowsXP-KB873333-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB873339-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB883939-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB884883-v8-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB885222-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB885250-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB885626-v2-x86-plk.exe

WindowsXP-KB885835-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB885836-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB886185-x86-plk.exe

WindowsXP-KB886677-x86-plk.exe

WindowsXP-KB886716-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB887742-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB887797-x86-plk.exe

WindowsXP-KB888113-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB888302-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890175-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890831-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890859-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB891781-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB893086-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB894391-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB896358-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB896422-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB896428-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB896626-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB900930-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB901214-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB903235-x86-PLK.exe

You are GREAT, YOU and FDV <- almost all hotfixes integrated correctly, I didn't need change LANGUAGE VARIABLES manually :)

Edit: These hotfixes display to installation in WU:

WindowsXP-KB893066-v2-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB898461-x86-PLK.exe

WindowsXP-KB890046-x86-PLK.exe

and I have several questions:>

1)Windows Update doesn't show almost all hotfixes to download,but in ADD & REMOVE PROGRAM don't show installed any hotfixes <-this is correctly, planned?

(BTW: For me it's ok but other persons....)

2) Why files were copied to SOURCESS\I386

when I use the windows xp?:

2KHFBITS.INF

2KHFIE5.INF

2KHFIE6.INF

2KHFMSI.INF

2KIE6.INF

2KPOSTSP.INF

2KROLLUP.INF

3) \SOURCESS\I386\empty.txt -> SLIPSTREAMER

should this useless file deleted

Suggestions:

For XP:

*UPDATE Windows Update to version 6

Jumping out never more p***ing off little window:]

Install this and life will be happy:

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe

-it supports silent integration WU v6 (multilanguage version)

if it exists ....\ SVPK_NO_SW \ WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe add in svscpack.inf:

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe / wuforce / quiet / norestart

!!!Only if WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe integrated already

I copy this file to ../SVPK_NO_SW/

and added to svcpack.inf (first you must recompress) located in the I386 folder

[setupHotfixesToRun]

WindowsUpdateAgent20-x86.exe /wuforce /quiet /norestart

it acts without problem :]

You will find on integrations better method? :)

look that also:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...ndpost&p=348012

I apologize for my language but I am horibly tired

salute

dziubek

Edited by dziubek

I use POLISH version windows xp. I used for 34 hotfixes your SLIPSTREAMER:

You are  GREAT, YOU and FDV <- almost all hotfixes integrated correctly, I didn't need change LANGUAGE VARIABLES manually :)

When I use switch integrate:

WindowsInstaller - KB 893803 - v 2 - x 86. exe / integrate c:./ sourcexp

it to OS copies properly *.cat -> XP -> kb893803v2_wxp.cat, W2K-> w2k.cat

And SLIPSREAMER doesn't distinguish OS and all files *.cat from KB893803-v2-x86.exe (kb893803v2_net.cat,kb893803v2_w2k.cat,kb893803v2_wxp.cat) it unpacks to SOURCESS \ I386 \ SVCPACK and he should for XP -> kb893803v2_wxp.cat, W2K-> w2k.cat, Truth?

dziubek

@dziubek. Thanks for testing. Hopefully I can answer your Q's.

Hotfixes reported not installed: Can you please run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer and report back on missing hotfixes (not the unconfirmed ones)?

1) I intentially made sure you don't see those hotfixes in the add/remove programs. All the hotfix binaries are slipstreamed, so you can't uninstall them anyway. I guess I could put something there if people really wanted something there.

2) Those files were copied over because I was too lazy to filter them out during the last phase of the hfslip program. It will do no harm if left in the sourcess folder. The next version of hfslip corrects that issue.

3) Thanks for noticing the blank file. Did you compare all the files manually to find that? The next version of hfslip will remove that file.

4) I'll try integrating the WindowsUpdateAgent in the next release.

5) I'm not sure what you're getting at with the CAT files. Is the OS prompting you for the original installation cd for files or something? The new files are registered once you install them via svcpack (or some other inf file). That shouldn't really be an issue... unless I am unaware of something hidden.

The file "d3dim.dl_" is in the source folder and in the sourcess Folder.  I thing I have enought space for building it... I thing 30GB free space sould be enough...

I will try a complete new SP4 slipstream CD today. So perhaps there is something wrong with some files... I hope  :huh:. An Windows2000 with a slipstreamed IE6 would be very nice...

From tommyp's readme:

"If you do not want to integrate the update rollup 1, but you still want to integrate IE6, you need to download MSXML3"

If it still doesn't work I don't know why. I do the TOTAL slipstream (with the hotfixes, ie6 integration etc.) and in my version it works correctly.

Try the TOTAL slipstream. (if also it doesn't work, it could be a language issue)

Edited by lupo

I just wanted to confirm that I did integrate DirectX v9.0c *and* performed a light nlite of my sourcess without problems. :thumbup dxdiag shows no problems. I suppose the problems others have noticed were with a heavily nlite'd source. In mine, I only disabled a few services (DNS Client and Messenger), removed a few apps (Games and other things that were not red), and a few tweaks (detail views, don't create OE links, and CMD SHELL, expand menus, don't use personalized menus, no web folders,

I'm using hfslip to slipstream IE6, DirectX, MediaPlayer9, all current hotfixes and the rollup update. That's about it.

The only problems I had were:

- System Event Notification service (somehow went in to a DISABLED state). I think this may be due to M$ launching update.microsoft.com over the weekend. My first set of updates came from v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com, but thereafter went to the new site. This caused BITS to not start and updates from the new site failed.

- CMD SHELL shows up twice when right-clicking on the C: drive.

- Details view didn't stick when a new user logged in, right-clicked on the START menu, and selected EXPLORE.

The first issue was possibly Microsoft, the other two were with nlite. Nothing serious... just some small bugs.

- Ken

from the batchfile:

Quote: "REM TIAWANESE TW TWN"

afaik this country is called Taiwan and the language taiwanese. ;-)

Nothing serious though..... :hello:

i am also trying with Win2000 german version:

slipstraming of IE6 and installing works with no errors.

After fresh installation WU reports 3 critical updates to be installed:

KB890830 (removal tool)

KB896358

KB894320

Microsoft baselineanalyzer reports the same 3 updates - its obviosly not an registry but dll issue.

No idea why the 2nd and 3rd files are reported - the

Windows2000-KB894320-x86-DEU.EXE

Windows2000-KB896358-x86-DEU.EXE

are located in the HF-Folder before running batchfile.

** Edit **

ok, i made another try:

after running the cmd - file with all in the readme listed (german) fixes i manually integrated the KB896358 and KB894320 using the /integrate switch.

After installation WU and baselineanalyzer only report removal tool, but i noticed that the directx9 is also reported on wu. on the first test it was included correctly. :}

However, all in all its a big save of time for the installation!

thx tommy!!!!

Edited by bololo77

So last night I finish work on a fully patched executable of IE6. I figured I'd test it out myself since I need to reinstall soon anyway, so if it messed things up I could limp along til I found the time to redo everything on the weekend. I think folks are figuring out that the Outlook 6 standalone installer works very, very well. I figured IE6 wouldn't be a crippling problem.

OMGWT (flying) F. When I rebooted I had only task manager - trying to run Explorer as a new task just crashed Explorer.

You know that sick feeling you sometimes get?

Like you're walking past a old beat up Cadillac ElDorado in a dark parking garage at LAX and you just KNOW that an out of work circus midget with a broadsword is going to jump out of the trunk and try to mug you? And who the heck would believe that?

"Hello, 911. What is your emergency?"

"I got mugged. At swordpoint. By a midget wielding a broadsword."

"Sir, prank calling 911 is a crime."

"No, really! He's probably an unemployed jockey or something!"

Or say it's December 22, 1997 and you're with Kristen Gore on the desk of her dad's senate office when he was giving a press conference at Housing and Urban development and a Secret Service agent walked in. When things move in slow motion, when you're taken by surprise. And you know you're in trouble because it's hard to explain that all that screaming was just her being enthuisiastic.

Or the feeling you get when you walk into a bank to cash a paycheck after you've had five beers on your day off and deciding to be funny you yell "listen up, this won't take more than a minute" and the tellers are really polite and accomodating but there are blue and white Crown Victorias pulling up to the building very fast and you realize that they're called "silent" alarms for a reason.

That kind of sick feeling.

I think probably these exe's should be made into cabs instead, that way, they will work with tommyp's script. BTW dude I haven't been replying to emails but I will and this was why :wacko: So... yeah.

See, it all started out when I tried to download IE 6 with that lengthy gobbledygook command that MS gives. It used to work, but doesn't anymore. So I thought I'd consolidate all of the win2k IE 6 files, but then this whole "well, I made a MS Java installer, and an Outlook 6 installer, why not jump right into a potentially big mess and do IE too.

Soooooo, that brings me here, to update you fine folks on this IE nonsense.

Hey TommyP once I get reinstalled I'll U/L the ie exe files; i am wondering if they are simply dumped into the HF folder and nothing is in the IE source folder, would that work? Or should I just .CAB everything and put it into the IE source folder? I think MS is doing the IE 6 download prevention because they want to force everyone to use the Windows Update site; the error I got was a Windows Update error when I tried to download.

Internet Explorer is like a suicide pill for your computer.

Edited by fdv

Proposals to considering:

1) Co-operation with Gnome's Slipstream

SlipstreamerWMP10

Slipstreams Windows Media Player 10 into Windows XP (home or pro) with all of it's

included components.

Solution:

User if it wants,places in this folder what HFSLIP_50723.cmd:Slipstreamer_v3.exe and MP10Setup.exe

SET Target=slipstream_v3
IF  exist %Target%.exe GOTO slipstream

:slipstream
ECHO Integrating Windows Media Player 10
%target% /i386dir="source\i386"/wmpdir="MP10Setup.exe"/silent
GOTO EOF

->He should check also if MP10Setup.exe exists

Integration has to be to hold after integration hotfixes or before? The most easily this before ,probably?

! Blockade has to be only for Windows XP (if exist win51ip,win51.....)

Parametrs:

/i386dir="i386 Path" -> THE FULL PATH to your UAXPCD i386 Directory

/wmpdir="Windows Media Player 10 Path" -> THE FULL PATH to Windows Media Player 10 Setup

/silent - "Show no gui" -> This will still show error messages!

/verysilent - "Show no gui & no error messages" -> No errors or messages of any kind will be shown

/entries="txtsetup,svcpack,sysoc,dosnet"

-> ADDING A ENTRY TO THE ENTRIES LIST MEANS THAT IT WON'T BE ADDED!!!

NOTE: 1)Always use a FULL path.

2)If you, for example used the /entries=txtsetup switch, entries into txtsetup.sif

will not be added!

WMP10_Slipstreamer

The Offical Microsoft Windows Media Player 10 Download Site

!!!!NLITE & RYANVM UPDATE PACK USERS NOTE: Please run Nlite and/or Ryanvm pack BEFORE slipstreaming!

2)Microsoft Genuine Windows Advantage Tool 1.0 (KB892130)

copy to \SVPK_NO_SW

kb892130

it runs silently with no parameters needed!

->place in HFSLIP INSTRUCTIONS.doc

@fdv,

1. Acording to tommyp's instruction the file Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.EXE appears as a required update. However in your instructions page, it doesn't appear at all.

2. According to tommyp's instructions Rootsupd.exe should be placed in HF. According to your instructions, in SVPK_SW.

Is there a reason for these issues?

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@bololo77. Thanks for noting the known issues with the script. The hotfixes are nuisance ones that are listed in the FAQs in the instruction txt file. Please re-read it. Oh yea, thanks for catching the spelling error. If someone with that language CD uses the script, I'll update that portion so his language is automagically selected. If you feel ambitious, can you please re-run hflslip, install the source, and make registry snapshots before and after each hotfix and send them to me. Perhaps I missed a section of the INF. Or maybe it's just a local thing.

@dziubek. Please don't post how to use the cmd file. The instructions included in the HFSLIP file CLEARLY state to run the slipstream on a virgin source. I'm not sure why you suddenly are telling others the proper way on how to use it. Please don't spoil a good thing. Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

@Pene. FDV may be a little late on his list of slipstream hotfixes for W2K.

A1) FWIW you can probably skip that hotfix altogether as the all windowsupdate needs is a simple regedit. If I didn't include that HF on the list, people would ask "why isn't that hotfix on the list". Remember, if in doubt, add it to the HF folder and the script takes care of the hard work.

A2) On the same lines, the hotfix you mention is the rootsupdate (a recommended one and NOT critical). The script can integrate it AS-IS in the HF folder. However, the rootsupdate is an ever-changing hotfix. In other words, each year, a new rootsupdate comes out. The script is now set up for the current rootsupdate. In the future if there is an issue with rootsupdate not installing, then place it into the SVPK_SW folder and you'll be OK. I was trying to think ahead with writing the script. ;)

Edited by tommyp

Awww, darn. The Windows Genuine Advantage Tool is already down.

Woulda liked to experiment with that. I assume it was a mod. If not, can someone post a non-IE only link to it.

@Pene - thanks for the sharp eye, man. I will fix that note. TommyP's and my documentation will of course be somewhat different but yes, I do strive to get the basic info right and appreciate little details like this to make it easy for even the beginner to not only do it, but understand what's going on, too.

@tommyp - the weird behavior really started after I tried my own standalone of IE6. The Outlook package works. Shouldn't CAT files not matter if SFC is off? Or am I wayyy off base there? I'll put them in if they need to be there. Will reply to your email fully later.

@All - the HAL.DLL is apparently the file that causes the newly discovered HALT bug, causing some machines to overheat. Calios over in nLite forum posted that. We'll see what differences there are between old and new versions; maybe using the sp4 version is best.

@tommy:

i am ambitious f0 sh0!

Here are the differences between the updates attached in a zipfile.

First snapshot was taken before clicking on 'install' on WU site, and after reboot the registry got compared with the snapshot.

I dont understand a single line of it, :thumbdown

but maybe you or bilou could extract needed informations. :thumbup

Re.zip

Edited by bololo77