HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hello all! (;

@tommyp

I'am reading document you included with hfslip and one small thingy is buggin' me.

At your's list of w2k updates there is js56nen.exe & scripten.exe...

Is this just a mistake or it's really needed?!

Regards

Hi,

Thanks a lot to all the nice guys here for helping and for the great project! :thumbup

I have a few questions:

1. Following Fdv's recommendation, it seems that GuiAttended makes it very similar to the original install with three differences:

- I lose the menu that appears immediately after booting ("Welcome to Setup. To Setup Windows 2000 now, Press Enter. To repair a windows 2000 installaion, press R."). Instead of showing this menu, it directly goes to setup, and I don't have the "R" option... Is there a way of enabling it back?

- An "EULA" agreement appears at the beginning of the GUI setup (instead of in the text mode). I can add the textmode one back with OemSkipEula=0, but it still leaves the one in the GUI.... However, This is just a minor annoyance...

- After the installation finishes, a "Copying files" window opens and closes very quickly, and a CMD.EXE is running something.... What are these?

2. Just to clear up things in my mind, why is it absolutely necessary to use unattended mode?

3. Why does root certificates update appear in Windows Update after a fresh install when rootsupd.exe was in HF dir?

4. Today microsoft released two additional updates for windows 2000: Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.EXE and IE-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe. I added these two files to the HF folder in addition to the recommended ones, and after a clean install, one of them - KB903235 - still apears in Windows Update... What is the problem?

Thanks,

Pene

Edited by pene

@marko2511: The scripten/js56nen hotfixes will install a later and greater version of some DLLs that IE6 uses. I figured it would be best to have IE6 installed correctly from the beginning. Hope it's not a prob. However, I'll verify whether or not those files are really needed if I get some free time

@pene: You have lots of Q's. I'll try to answer them. 1) The issues you raise on item 1 are quirks of using the winnt.sif file. Sorry you have to use it, but it's needed for the script to run. The window you see that is copying files is somethign that is needed to completely slipstream your system. The dos box you see after that is a script that cleans up some files that are left over after installation. 2) Refer to the links that Delprat has on his post. Bottom line, you need those two lines in the winnt.sif file for the script to work. 3) The roots update will be installed at the next round of my cmd script. BTW, it is only a recommended hotfix and NOT a critical one. I guess you need it if you do lots of B2B stuff. 4) You need to put those two files in the HF folder to get them to slipstream. You may want to re-download the last version from the first post of this thread. That ought to do the trick.

@tommyp

I'm sorry that I have so many questions, but I am new to this method... However, I hope that other readers will benefit from the questions as well... Thanks a lot for your patience and answers! You did a very good job in answering them :thumbup

The new updates were already in the HF folder. I will try to build the cd again with the new hfslip.zip.

I have noticed in the updated hfslip.zip that you write about some updates that have updated files that aren't in Rollup... It's not completely clear to me what should be done with them:

- Should I put these files in the HF folder as well?

- I also noticed you added a _ at the beginning of each of these files, should I rename them to contain that _?

Regarding Windows2000-KB818043-x86-ENU.EXE, the only 818043 file I found is in Windows Update Catalog and its named Q818043_W2K_SP5_x86_EN.EXE. Is this the same file (and in that case I can I rename it to the filename you wrote) or if not, where can I download this file?

Thanks again, and I hope that these are my last questions.... :)

@fdv

I know that the questions in #1 of my previous post are winnt.sif quirks, but as you seem to be the expert in this subject, I'd like to ask you, if it's not hard for you, to review just that section and please let me know if you have a solution for any of them... Thanks.

Edited by pene

@Pene, You don't need to include those files with the "o_" prefix. The choice is yours whether or not to include those, either way, WU will report all is up to date with critical updates even if you don't do the "o_" files.

BTW, I found those files while cleaning up my harddrive with worthless hotfix files. I just wanted to make a mental note to myself on which files weren't included before the incredible hulk did his 2k hotfix listing, so that was why I put that prefix there. I had a hard time locating one of those hotfixes for FDV to post, but not sure which one. Lastly, the Windows2000-KB818043-x86-ENU.EXE I have, I somehow downloaded about a year back....

@tommyp

Thanks again.

I downloaded the rest of the files from fdv's page, so I guess that this is the file that you couldn't find...

The size of the Q818043_W2K_SP5_x86_EN.EXE that I found is 716840. Is it the same size as your Windows2000-KB818043-x86-ENU.EXE? In case it is, I can help with a link where to download it from:

I made a tinyurl for it, as no matter how I tried to post the full url in the forum, it wouldn't save it correctly. When you click the tinyurl it will give you the full one...

http://tinyurl.com/5x9ex

Regards,

Pene

Edited by pene

yes, the original filename is 'Q818043_W2K_SP5_x86_EN.EXE', but the scripts looks for the word 'windows' in the filename to determine if its hf1 or hf2. so i guess tommyp simply renamed the file (it is a hf1).

in case all q*.exe fixes are hf1 add this after line 340:

'FINDSTR /B /I /C:Q HF.TXT >>HFT1.TXT'

im testing the german version atm. there are a few lines hardcoded for the en version i changed:

3 times Windows2000-KB891861-x86-ENU.EXE (DEU)

and tons of 'scripten' from ie6 (scriptde)

and i can see 'REM ROOTS UPDATE, STILL NEEDS A CMD LINE RUN NOT IMPLEMENTED YET' but it seems the *.sst files are copied during the install.

so i guess i could simply execute

updroots.exe authroots.sst

updroots.exe updroots.sst

updroots.exe -l roots.sst

updroots.exe -d delroots.sst

using svcpack.inf/cmdlinex.txt/guirunonce?

but great work so far, keep up

regards

@tommyp:

After adding everything and using your new hfslip.zip, on a fresh install I get critical update "KB873374: GDI+ Detection Tool". Should it be like that?

Regarding the Root Certificates Update, what do you mean by "it will be installed at the next round of my cmd script"? Even after two reboots it still shows up in Windows Update (I know that this isn't a critical update, but because rootsupd.exe has been added to HF following your recommendations in the DOC file, I assume that it should be run at some stage...)

Thanks again,

Pene.

Edited by pene

4. Today microsoft released two additional updates for windows 2000: Windows2000-KB901214-x86-ENU.EXE and IE-KB903235-x86-ENU.exe. I added these two files to the HF folder in addition to the recommended ones, and after a clean install, one of them - KB903235 - still apears in Windows Update... What is the problem?

Original post #719 by tommyp in HOTFIXES: Win2000 SP4 – WinXP SP1 – WinXP SP2 topic by Incroyable HULK

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Just a note on BG's post...

The 03D9F3F2-B0E3-11D2-B081-006008039BF0 reg add sets the kill bit for the javaprxy.dll COM object.

The other reg adds create yet another new CLSID for IE, which I do not see for IE6, so I don't imagine any software is going to call on it.

So... I know I need sleep, but can't the javaprxy dll OR the COM object's CLSID just be deleted? And couldn't Windows do just fine without the new IE 5 CLSID?

Just sayin', I guess. Never have been able to make much sense of MS' work.

Oh, Pene, BTW... WINNT.SIF should not take away your ability to do a repair. I have never read of this nor can I find anything about it using Google. Here's an MS note on the Recovery Console. Also, many helpful sites make no mention of this problem you have. I myself have not experienced it and I use a WINNT.SIF. So, I'm not sure.

@fdv:

Thank you for your answer.

When booting the Windows CD with winnt.sif, I do not get the "Welcome to Setup" screen (the one that says: Welcome to Setup. To Setup Windows 2000 now, Press Enter. To repair a windows 2000 installaion, press R). Do you get that screen?

I found many reports on the net of people complaining about this, however what I did not find is a solution... No matter what I do, when winnt.sif is there it doesn't show at all the "Welcome to Setup" screen, and acts as if someone already pressed Enter (goes to Setup directly), so I just don't have the ability to get to the Repair process...

Edit: Out of curiosity, I tried to run the CD without winnt.sif present on the CD. To my surprise, everything worked, except ONE (and only one) warning during the setup that D:\i386\setup50.ex_ is not signed, and if I want to install it anyway. I chose to install it anyway and everything worked.

Is winnt.sif used in hfslif only for disabling this single warning?

To the other issue, is there no way to disable the Eula that is being displayed when the GUI starts? It's not there in the original CD (OemSkipEula=1 skips only the one in the text mode).

Thanks again,

Pene.

@Bilou_Gateux:

I didn't get the error anymore after downloading the new hfslip.zip. Are you sure that tommyp hasn't fixed it already?

Edited by pene

Pene: The purpose of the lines in the winnt.sif file is needed so you don't get a few nags during installation (such as the one you mentioned in your post). I think that having the winnt.sif file is a very small price to pay to use the slipstreaming file. Perhaps you can go to your original win2kpro cd and look for a program called deploy. You can use that program to set up a basic winnt.sif file (it saves it with a different name though). Oh yea, I have a feeling that Bilou isn't using the latest. I incorporated those changes for the windowsupdate late on Tuesday afternoon.

@pene

The presence of winnt.sif on the cd causes the MS setup process to assume install is scripted so it skips the whole initial boot options.

I miss it too, can't do an in-place upgrade from boot if the sif is there!

@tommyp, @fdv:

After working a few hours on this subject, and trying out many ideas that I had on how to solve it, I finally came up with a working solution that doesn't require the use of winnt.sif at all.

Edit wu.inf and add the following entry to the beginning of the [Product.Add.Reg] section (only a single change is needed):

;DISABLE DRIVER SIGNING
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing","Policy",0x30001,00

With this change, winnt.sif can be removed and no error messages will be displayed (it will also work, of course, if winnt.sif is not removed).

A few technical details that I found out about Driver Signing:

1. A newly installed windows installation inherits the value of HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing\Policy from hivesft.inf.

2. During setup, this value is not taken from hivesft.inf, but is created by default when setup runs and is set to 1. To bypass the Driver Signing warning, the value needs to be changed to 0 while setup is in progress. In fact, this seems to be exactly what the winnt.sif setting DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore is acheiving...

3. Contrary to the stated in some articles found on the net, this value is not protected during setup. It can be changed while setup is running, and it won't change back to its default. This can be achieved, for example, by using wu.inf that is being executed during setup.

4. When setup has finished, this value is overwritten by the value from hivesft.inf, so there is no need to change anything back. In case someone wishes to leave it disabled also after setup has finished, hivesft.inf should be edited.

Note: The above conclusions were reached by analyzing a Windows 2000 setup. Even though I believe that it is the same on Windows XP, I have not tested it. If someone can test the method on XP and report, it would be nice :)

Edit: This has been confirmed to be the same on Windows XP.

Regards,

Pene.

Edited by pene

Pene, that's the most elegant solution. Thanks! Would you mind if I crafted it so it's part of the slipstreaming cmd file? In other words, automate the editing of that file?