HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

create shortcut wizard gives me an error "The file <blah> cannot be found", when i try to make new shortcut from an url.

@zammalabe - odd that you found this! I never thought it would pop up with nLite users.

Thankfully I keep some of my notes when I removed IE. APPWIZ.CPL is required to run the "create shortcut" wizard, and it would work even when you remove IE, except for its location. In TXTSETUP.INF, you'll see:

appwiz.cpl = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

So, we put it in system instead:

appwiz.cpl = 2,,,,,,,5,0,0

thanks fdv, for answering :) i think that you mean TXTSETUP.SIF (not txtsetup.inf)? :P and did i understand correctly: to repair create shortcut wizard error for url's i should correct the appwiz.cpl line in txtsetup.sif file (before burning the iso) as you described?

but can the issue be corrected after installation?

i think that you mean TXTSETUP.SIF (not txtsetup.inf)?
Whoops, yeah, yer right, sorry
but can the issue be corrected after installation?

Sorry I was not clear. When burning the new ISO, you'll take care of shortcut creation wizard errors. But since IE has been removed, the operating system still thinks it has to treat URL objects differently than any old, everyday file object. Hence the URL error. So, no matter what, after you install, you want to make the URL object just another object, and they way to accomplish this IIRC is to also delete the URL *file extension* references in the registry. Do this after OS install but before browser installation such as Firefox. You want to make Windows think that there is nothing "special" about a URL object. But I should emphasize the "IIRC" part. It doesn't happen anymore for me but I kind of forget exactly how I fixed it :blushing:

@fdv

i tried the fresh installation with corrected txtsetup.sif and removing url file extension (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.URL and/or HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut), after that let firefox to "correct" the registry wiht his instance ... but ... nothing ....

You want to make Windows think that there is nothing "special" about a URL object. But I should emphasize the "IIRC" part. It doesn't happen anymore for me but I kind of forget exactly how I fixed it

... as you said, there should be the "mysterious" IIRC part :D and without it, it seems not working :( so, if you have time and ... :) , maybe you can figure out, what to do to complete the task:P anyway, i appreciate your attention to my problem

ie6 integrate problem

I put my 2ksp4 files into source folder,and put ie6 into the iesrc folder.then i run SS_W2K_IE6_XP_042305.CMD,it worked .

after that i burn the SOURCESS folder to cd,and i setup with the cd.

when setup complete .i see the ie still is ie5 sp4 .how to use this cmd file to integrate the ie6 into 2ksp4.zhaohuiyong2004@hotmail.com

@chuangfeng: re-read the instructions in the zip file. If you don't follow the instructions, you'll have a failed installation.

@dziubek: I cannot test other languages, so I cannot really say. But, give it a try and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 was released June 28, 2005.

This update rollup contains a list of security-related updates produced for Windows 2000 between the release of Windows 2000 SP4 and April 30, 2005.

@tommyp, have you started to work on the integration of the rollup.

it will save us alot of time to use rollup package instead of > 50 "Security Update for Windows 2000" Fixes.

@Billou: Yep, yesterday I modified the cmd file for all the updates and IE6/OE6/WAB6 integration. I mailed FDV the zip file for uploading on his site. Hopefully he'll post once it's uploaded. I haven't verified it with the famous (registry-checking) windowsupdate, but the (file checking) microsoft baseline analyzer and hfnetchk report all is OK.

Hey gents, new version is up at http://www.vorck.com/data/hfslip.zip

Slightly OT: God I hate Microsoft. I've said it elsewhere but I have to say it again, they had a chance to do something right and they just friggin' blew it. This rollup is garbage, as the UPDATE.EXE files are different, the files are uncompressed on /X extract, and it therefore cannot be slipstreamed.

Thanks as usual to tommyp for creating this batchfile and seeing us through this b?ll$#!+.

For new users, please read the first post in the thread to get an idea of how this works. This will integrate hotfixes as well as a bunch of other things like XML, MDAC, MSI, and Internet Explorer 6 (or 5, if you wish to keep 5).

Edited by fdv

After a brief overview of the latest update here are some quick impressions:

The CMD file doesn't create the HFRU folder since it's checking for HF2 (IF NOT EXIST HF2 MD HFRU).

The list of hotfixes you use (as stated in 02 - Folder Prep 3 - Hotfixes.txt) includes some which are already in the rollup (I know it's not a problem but some people might use the list as a guide).

Windows Installer 3.1 is v2 now, kb893803v2_w2k.CAT and so on, and the CMD seem to point to kb893803_w2k.CAT so I don't think it'll install.

Also a question about the MSXML 4.0 SP2 files, so far I've only used the msi file but can I strip the sdk by going for the msxmlcab.exe instead or are there any additional files I'll need from the msxml.msi?

Edited by pr0nstar

This Rollup Fixpack 1 is working like s***... When I test it via VMware this pack is installed via my unattended CD, but the MS Hotfix Site will Download it again. It this a problem with the script or a problem with the fix?

@Pronstar: Thanks for the constructive criticism. Will correct the patches/integration on the next iteration of the CMD file. As far as the MSXML goes, give a try with the alternate version of the MSXML. I believe all you need for MSXML4 to be installed is 3 dll files to be present in your system32 folder and you register 2 of them using regsvr32. I'm not sure really what you want to do there.

@Bastian_W: There may be an issue with the hotfix itself. Read the ramblings at

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=49527&st=0. Personally I use hfnetchk and the microsoft baseline analyzer to see if the hotfixes are installed. Windowsupdate only checks registry values and not file versions.

Just to give you a hand, here's the list of updates I had to install on a bare SP4-UR1 system;

897715 - Vulnerability in Outlook Express could allow remote code execution

883939 - Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer

896422 - Vulnerability in Server Message Block could allow remote code execution

890046 - Vulnerability in Microsoft agent could allow spoofing

896358 - A vulnerability in HTML Help could allow remote code execution

894320 - Vulnerability in Web View could allow remote code execution

873374 - Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool

842773 - Update package that includes BITS 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1

832483 - Buffer overrun in an MDAC function could allow code execution

814078 - Flaw in Windows Script Engine may allow code to run

893803 - Windows Installer 3.1 (v2)

Partial credit goes to Incroyable HULK and his fantabulous page (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=31886).