HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hi pple,

First I would like to thanks all who contributed the make such a wonderful script. 3 Cheers for you genius out there! :thumbup

I'm tasked to create a unattended W2k installation in my company... We using Win2K Pro SP3(For some unknown and stupig reasons) and I wanna intergate WMP9, DirectX9c, IE6.0 SP1, all the hotfixes and a couple of other softwares. So far, everthing have worked like a charm except the hotfixes intergation. :no:

I have faithfully place renamed and placed all the hotfixes into there respective folders. They seems to be processed when the script is running... But when I visited Update on Microsoft's page, it says that I still go 68 over hotfixes not patched yet... I wondered if something have gone wrong somewhere. I checked the add/remove programs in the control panel and found no traces of hotfixes being installed there(Is it normal?). Can someone pls kindly advice..... Thanks!!

Try re-reading the instructions and follow them exactly. When I run the script and install that source, I only get one hotfix when visiting WU... I forgot the exact one exactly, but if I check all the affected files, the updated files are there as are the registry entries. Strange.... BTW, I'm not sure if the script works on other languages. It *may* work, but I can't confirm.

I'm not sure where you going with this. If you don't want to slipstream sp4 with w2k, it seems that you don't want the latest updates. If you don't need the latest updates, then why are you visiting windowsupdate? However, I'm not sure with doing SP3 with w2k, all I can say is try it and test it with microsoft baseline analyzer.

@voided - there is no advantage to using SP3 unless you are being forced to deal with a compatability issue. If that is the case, try to track down the specific DLL(s) and version(s) you need, because running SP3 is not secure when you're using Internet Explorer. In fact, SP4 isn't either, that's why we're all awaiting the post sp4 rollup.

I think I would better wait for next week final "Win 2000 Rollup Update" (which for sure will include IE6), since it's kinda SP5 replacement.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1822852,00.asp

Ooh. You're right. I sure hope it does include ie6. That article didn't say anything about it, so I'll look more into it, or just wait :) Until then, I'll work on my automated program iinstalls.

I just looked into AutoPatcher for Win 2000 and WinXP, and it has a slipstreaming program to make a bootable .ISO for each OS. So I might just be changing my entire method of creating a disc anyway! We shall see. www.autopatcher.com if you're curious!

Edited by Ch1phead

i used the script to slipstream ie6sp1 into w2ksp4, after that i heavily nlited the source (removed oe, ie but ie core remains), everything works great, but ... create shortcut wizard gives me an error "The file <blah> cannot be found", when i try to make new shortcut from an url. what goes wrong? and how to repair it (without reinstalling)? i tried it with two nlite version (0.99.b, 1.0.b1), result is the same (so i think the error is not made by nlite).

First time poster, long time lurker.

I followed the instructions for slipstreaming and they worked great on the first try. However, I had one error with DirectX9c. After starting into the desktop and after running 'dxdiag' I would recive error boxes complaining about my dsound.dll.

Upon further inspection I noticed that the dsound.dll was not updated properly. The current dsound.dll (which was also in the i386 dir compressed as a cab dsound.dl_) was 5.0.2165.1. When I checked a 2nd machine with DX9c (updated the slow way) it says dsound.dll should be version 5.3.1.904. Because I disabled SFC, I copied the newer dll onto my computer and now it's right as rain. Dsound.dll 5.3.1.904 can also be found in the dxnt.cab from the directx_9c_redist.exe.

I should also note that I ran nLite on the SOURCESS folder to assist in removal of programs, however, the dsound.dll was already the impropper version before doing so. It was simple enough to fix my install cd image, just repacked the proper dsound.dll and placed it into the i386 folder.

Wanted to make everyone aware of this.

edited unclear sentence

Edited by XLShadow

create shortcut wizard gives me an error "The file <blah> cannot be found", when i try to make new shortcut from an url.

@zammalabe - odd that you found this! I never thought it would pop up with nLite users.

Thankfully I keep some of my notes when I removed IE. APPWIZ.CPL is required to run the "create shortcut" wizard, and it would work even when you remove IE, except for its location. In TXTSETUP.INF, you'll see:

appwiz.cpl = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

So, we put it in system instead:

appwiz.cpl = 2,,,,,,,5,0,0

and it will work. BTW, these lines are from the Win2k TXTSETUP.INF. They'll be similar in XP and 2k3. To fix this, copy the file APPWIZ to the system32 directory and see if that doesn't take care of it. Also, when you remove IE and even if you leave the core intact, Windows will try to treat URL objects as IE objects. Your best bet would be to also delete the URL *file extension* references in the registry.

edit: added quoted text

Edited by fdv

@FDV: Thanks for answering that create shortcut wizard question.

@XLShadow: I noticed that directx message also when running the last two versions of nlite. A workaround is to just install directx after windows has installed (like when you run your unattended program installations). Something in Nlite is doing something the dsound.dll... not sure what, but it only started the last two versions of Nlite.