HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Hi everyone :hello: May i just say excellent program TommyP, thanks for all your work :D

using a win2000 pro cd with sp4 slipstreamed.

I have so far managed to slipstream my cd to include directx9c, ie6.1 and the msxml and the mdac updates but I am having problems with certain updates and was hoping someone could help me as I seem to be trawling the forums round and round in circles for hours with no real success.

I added all the windows hotfix updates I could find into the respective hf1 and hf2 folders but when I install it seems a lot of them do not install and need to be reinstalled. I also seem to have a problem with Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) which won't install from windows update it just keeps reappearing.

Does anyone have a list with which files are needed and which aren't in order to be fully up to date at install? Do they have to be in any kind of order of install.

Also I downloaded the latest silent install netfxsp11.exe .net install from this forum (forgotten who upped the file but thanks to him) that included the latest fixes. I added it to the exe folder but when I reinstall the update doesn't seem to install but when I run it after install it works perfectly. Should this file have gone in hf2 perhaps. How does the folders change how they are installed. does it change the order of install?

Sorry if this seemed like a lot of questions for a newbie here but I wanted to give it all a good go and try and fix it myself using the forums before bothering you all. I hope you can help me.

Also having trouble with the slipstreamed drivers but thats next on the list after I get the basic install fixed. :lol:

@fistandantilus

Please re-read the instructions.txt file. It also happened to be the same file you you closed without reading when you ran the cmd file. The 9th line talks about windowsupdate website. ALL WINDOWSUPDATE.COM does is verify registry entries. It doesn't verify all critical update dll/exe/binaries. So if you want to make windowsupdate.com happy, then please use an alternate slipstream method. :)

If you have repacked your netfxsp11.exe and specified the switch in the cmd file? There's also instructions for that too in the instructions.txt file.

@fistandantilus

Please re-read the instructions.txt file.  It also happened to be the same file you you closed without reading when you ran the cmd file.  The 9th line talks about windowsupdate website.  ALL WINDOWSUPDATE.COM does is verify registry entries.  It doesn't verify all critical update dll/exe/binaries.  So if you want to make windowsupdate.com happy, then please use an alternate slipstream method.  :)

If you have repacked your netfxsp11.exe and specified the switch in the cmd file?  There's also instructions for that too in the instructions.txt file.

I don't mean this disrespectful but your instructions in places are very vague, it could save some people hours trawling through often redundant messages on the forum if you spent another 15 minutes elaborating the instructions.

netfix was repackaged by someone on this forum to run silently, it adds the regs if you run it once in windows so why not in the install process?.The critical type hf1 updates are not altered in any way so how do I know if they have been run if there is no reg line added. Surely if they were run correctly they would add the regs themselves. The directx9c and mediaplayer9 files run in this way show up fine on windowsupdate.

I think I will repack windows with the updates that seem to work well such as dx9c and mediaplayer etc, and wait for sp rollout1 which is due soon. Will save me a lot of trouble. thanks anyways.

I don't mean this disrespectful but your instructions in places are very vague, it could save some people hours trawling through often redundant messages on the forum if you spent another 15 minutes elaborating the instructions.

No disrepect taken. If you think the instructions need to be a bit clearer in some sections, then please ask and I'll update the instructions.txt file. I have tried to put the important tips in the instructions, and even put some key items on the top few lines of the file. I haven't really taken more time for the instructions because I only do this for the fun of it (i.e. not paid to do it). If you want more details please visit FDV's hotfix site

@At0mic - You may want to try xpcreate as an alternate windowsupdate friendly windows updater.

I also seem to have a problem with Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express 6 SP1 (KB823353) which won't install from windows update it just keeps reappearing.

Although I have been having another problem making the disk, I noticed that as well.

When I ran the patch manually it would error out and tell me that I had to have OE 6 sp1 installed to use the patch. The OE 6 sp1 patch that can be dwnld'd from M$ also errors out and says you must be running XP.

Since the files are slipstreamed, just do Like TommyP suggests and apply the

reg hack.

I attached a typical INF file that makes windowsupdate happy. For this particular one I attached, it shows the one that electrician discusses. If you save the file, do a right mouse click and select install, and then revisit windowsupdate, it will say the patch is installed. However, if you look at the contents of the INF file with notepad, you can see that windowsupdate only checks for the registry entries that the inf makes. So, if you really want to make a "secure" system according to windowsupdate, all one would need to do is do a regedit for the ones that it checks. How's that for security? This is why I ditch windowsupdate and use an alternate program.

If you think the instructions need to be a bit clearer in some sections, then please ask and I'll update the instructions.txt file.

I do agree that the instructions could be a bit clearer. For example, it says:

E) PLACE THE 4 INF FILES INTO THIS FOLDER

Its not obvious which folder your talking about. I had to re-read those instuctions before realizing what you meant. Maybe it could say the following:

E) PLACE THE 4 INF FILES INTO THE HFINFS FOLDER

By the way, what does the POST SERVICE PACK INF FILE do?

It's a great script by the way - this thread should be a sticky. It seems to be the only way of integrating IE6. XPCreate only seems to run the IE6 installer during installation as apposed to properly integrating it like this does.

@At0mic - You're absolutely correct. I re-read those instructions and realized that they were a bit vague. I recrafted the instructions a bunch and it seems to flow a lot easier now. The new download is available on the first of these threads. With the help of the electrician, I found a little bug that needed to get exterminated, thus the need for a little "correction" to the cmd file. Also, the post service pack inf file is best described on www.vorck.com. In brief words, it's the "essential" regedits that windows needs to be secure.

BTW, being a dumb computer user, what is the purpose of the MDAC version 2.8? What benefits does that have over the one that comes with W2K?

well i downloaded it, extract it to a folder called slipstrem, run the script, fill the source with win2k and iesrc with ie6sp1. then i rght click and choose edit. at this stage i am blocked. dont know what to edit. can i get some help please???

I've integrated IE6 and installed windows. IE works but the 'about' box says I've got version 5, even though it looks like a version 6 style box. Outlook express 6 works and the 'about' box correctly says version 6.

I edited the files you said to edit and put them in the fix folder, hower, I didn't do SYSSETUP.IN_ becasue it caused nlite to hang when I was making the ISO so I left that file out of the fix folder. Is this the reson why IE6 said version 5?

Yes you are absolutely correct. When you open IE and click Help/About, the information displayed (the version number and the Update Versions) from the registry. Weird huh? So if you wanted to, you can make an IE version 600 instead of 6. HAHA.

Thanks for pointing out the issues with NLITE, and the issue is solved. Apparantly, NLITE likes to see a compressed syssetup.in_ instead of a renamed text file. I updated the instructions, and changed the CMD file a bit for the XP hotfix integration to function now too.