HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

DonJuan & Hirudin: About the windows installation showing uninstalled updates, please read the 8th line of the instructions. The only thing windowsupdate needs to be happy is a few worthless registry entries (which I don't plan on incorporating at this time). I have suggested a tool to be used to check for windows updates (which checks the actual version numbers of files).

Hirudin, If you follow the instructions, the inf file is automatically run during installation.

Bilou Gates: Thanks for the tips on the msxml registration codes.

OK fine, thanks for pointing out line 8 on instructions.

Do we need to download "filecase" from somewhere? Does it say so in the instrctions anywhere? (line 14 maybe?)

C:\>filecase
'filecase' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

INFS directory

: WINDOWS2000
CALL :HF1
CALL :HF2
RD /S /Q INFS

:HF1
:HF1EXTRACT
FOR /F %%I IN (INF.TXT) DO COPY TEMP\UPDATE\%%I "INFS\%HF% %%I.INF"

:HF2
:HF2EXTRACT
FOR /F %%I IN (INF.TXT) DO COPY TEMP\%%I "INFS\%HF% %%I.INF"

I can't say for sure, but it looks like the script takes all the infs, renames them, and puts them into the INFS folder. Then does nothing with them and deletes them. Are they suppose-to be moved into the i386 folder or something?

Also

IF "%DOIE%"=="YES" COPY /Y FIX\*.IN_ SOURCESS\I386
IF "%DOIE%"=="YES" COPY /Y FIX\IESETUP.DL_ SOURCESS\I386
IF EXIST FIX COPY /Y FIX\*.* SOURCESS\I386

Looks like it copies specific files out of FIX, then copies everything.

If you ever look at this thread FDV, is there a chance you could tell us what postsp.inf does? Its got a lot of registry keys in there, what do they do?

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\winlogon,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\winlogon.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"

;

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tapisrv,"Type",0x10021,0x20

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Security\Security,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\MsAuditE.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp2res.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\System\TermService,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\termsrv.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\ntdll.dll;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"

HKLM,SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\winlogon,"EventMessageFile",0x20000,"%SystemRoot%\System32\winlogon.exe;%SystemRoot%\System32\sp3res.dll"

Is this necessary?

Do we need to download "filecase" from somewhere? Does it say so in the instrctions anywhere? (line 14 maybe?)

[

Win32 Console ToolBox by Steve Miller

The Win32 Console ToolBox consists of nine of my freeware command line tools developed for everything from Windows 95 to Windows 2003.

FileCase for Win32, Version 1.0

Freeware by Steve P. Miller (stevemil@pobox.com).

Description: FileCase will rename one or more file names and/or directory

names to uppercase or lowercase.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Sorry, my english is very bad :( . So i understand not much of this threat. I try to integrate only IE6 in a Win2k-SP4-CD. Is the following procedure correct?

1. Download the "slipsreamer.zip" from the first post

2. Extract the ZIP to a folder

3. Create the subfolders "IESRC" and "SOURCE"

4. Copy the content of the Win2k-SP4-CD to "SOURCE"

5. Extract all CAB-files of the IE6-Source to "IESRC"

6. run the CMD

Thats all? No files to edit?

If you want to run windows2000, you need FDV's sfc and setupapi files as well as a few files from an XPSP1 cd

- Where can i find "FDV's sfc and setupapi files" (Google finds only this threat :unsure:)

- Which files do i need from the XPSP1-CD?

- What i have to do with the files?

Thanks for any response and help

regards

XiLeeN

You are partially correct.... if you only want to slipstream IE6 into your W2K. You need a few files from an XPSP1 cd and some files from www.vorck.com (aka FDV's site). All the instructions are in the instructions.txt file.

Thank you for the fast reply! This night, i have read the the guide at vorck.com more than 10 times...:boring: And i have not found a "instructions.txt"... (Deep-Link?) If i right, i need this 3 "FDV"-files

1. SFC.DLL

2. SETUPAPI.DLL

3. SFCFILES.DLL

And there are two ways to handle it...

- use hacked SFC.DLL , hacked SETUPAPI.DLL and original SFCFILES.DLL

or

- use original SFC.DLL, hacked SETUPAPI.DLL and modified (empty) SFCFILES.DLL (i will prefer this way...)

Ok at this point? Now, there are two questions left...

- Where i have to (re)place the files? In the i386-folder of my Win2k-SP4-CD? Or in the i386-folder of the expanded SP4-Pack before slipstreaming? (so i understand the guide at vorck.com)(i think its pretty much the same...)

- Which files do i need from the XPSP1-CD? I have found nothing about the XP-files...

many regards

XiLeeN

Hello! During running the CMD, ther is a error by opening the "Scripten.cab" in the IESRC-folder (file not found). I think that is a problem of localised files...

Scripten.cab > english (the file which is needed)

Scriptde.cab (the file in my IESRC-folder) > deutsch (german)

I dont know if it is a real problem, the OS still works, but i have not much time to test...

regards

XiLeeN

I think there is a 2nd localised file: "Scr56de.cab" If you wish, i can send the files per email or attachment

i have tried this on so many ways, but i just dont seem to accomplish this. The batching works (almost) fine.

I get some errors when those HF2 files are getting extracted so i did these with another batch file using some commands. (there are also files overwriting eachother while i was extracting those, and no, not those default dummy.cat, iecustom and so on)

But i just overwrite those files when i was asked to and i put them into the source files, burned it on disc and it works..until..i get problems with my explorer/iexplore.

I can browse the internet, and explore my pc (but am gettin' errors @ winnt folder) and when i want to download something i cant press the Save or Open button (i can press them, they aren't greyed out either, but they just don't work).

I already have used up to 15 cds and counting...(virtual machine is very slow for my work comp.) and now, i could really use some help, i already am trying this for the last couple of weeks.

Any help would be appreciated.

i'll do that tomorrow when im at work (it's meant for those machines you know), but im so fond of batching and trying to make it work that i'll give it a try here..but i don't have all of the (dutch) KB files here...and downloading those does take quite some time (i'll burn those on cd tomorrow and will test further @home if it doesnt work at work).

And ok, i'll skip the HF2, BANDAID2K and IESP1 integration.

PS: I got a little question about some lines from the batch file about(i dun have the batch file right here ) the "Special folder" creation/checking. I don't get that part, cause i see/know that in the batchfile the original exisisting folders are compared to the folders of the 'new' i386 and every folder that is new is going to be deleted (after copying stuff from sp2binarydrop and rmtq (or something) folders.

The part that i mean in the batch file is that with the dir checking (located at a string in which the %%J variable is being used (its only being used once so you'll find it for sure)

And to you bilou, i'll report back on this topic tomorrow. Thanks for your help and time.

----- INF FILES ----- Questions and Comments (??)

I see thats a bit of a nasty part with the INF files, but i'll read it some more times over tomorrow. But i am wondering about 2 things,

- What about the so-called Type 2 fixes ? How can you extract the reg from them ?

and now the nasty part...

We're not always using a default installation when we install Windows X (can be any windows). We just go to dos ans use a setup.exe switch in order to make a custom installation. (for the laptop for example, some drivers/programms just don't coöperate well with laptops or with our hardware). I think that, the way im reading that INF part, ALL of that information is stored into the registry, even though i don't install the files for those fixes (when im using a custom installation)

Can someone explain that to me or well, give a solution ? :)

----

PS: Thanks for your help already, getting wiser each day. :thumbup

Looks like batch file is getting some constructive criticism. That's a good sign. A few things...

@Bilou - The inf file/regedit you did on post 2 of this thread is a great start, however, some hotfixes need a bit more. I have the inf file of the "important" stuff.

As far as that bandaid fix, well, I guess that's why I called it a bandaid. It seems that with every new IE hotfix coming out, there is a new folder generated. Strange. However, if you are put a bunch of pause statements in the cmd file, I noted the following with shlwapi.dll revisions:

I386E ver 1605

rtmgdr ver 1612

rtmgfe ver 1612

xpclnt_qfe_binarydrop - incorrect type of file

xpsp2_binarydrop ver 1584

From dissecting the XP hotfixes, it seems that the contents of the xxxGDR are the ones that are the latest revisions. So, perhaps with w2k, they will also need the contents of the xxxGDR folder?

@Honnes - The %%J variable is used to loop through all the various folders in the extracted hotfixes. I was meaning to take that out portion out in the next revision as it seems that it's not needed. On the flip side, I would hate to see that part of the code leave since it was a fancy nested loop. :)

Well tommyP,

I've extended a part of my own batchin' work the last couple of days and am going to rebuild that list (now that i read your reply).

I didn't had any time today to create a new slipstreamed (hotfix 1 only standard install) disc, so i'll create that one tomorrow...well, i could put on the batch file for now.

The part that I 'extended' is a little precheck for the hotfixes. I have put all the hotfixes in a text file from old to newest hotfix. Both hotfix type 1 and 2 are included in that list and i use a if check to see in which hotfix folder i put it (for you that would be HF1 / HF2). If it does exist it extracts the file and each time i see "overwrite" (deleting the unneeded file after every extraction), your ensured you got the latest versions of the files...at least, i would say so.

My going-wrong-part, accorrding to Bilou, is something with IE or a part of it (like that wapi.dll thingy). Haven't checked it yet, but i think he's right.

Im off again, i'll check again later and report some of the results.

[edit] I do am wondering now....which WHLApi.dll should i use ? The most logical one seems the latest version, aint it ? [/edit]