HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

I'm still a little unclear on supported/unsupported and type 1/2 hotfixes.

Are all files released by MS with "KB######" or "Q######" in the name considered a hotfix? Are they all compatible as long as they were released after SP4?

What about MS files that have a ###### in their description, but the filename is something else?

Is this a hotfix that should be placed in the HF2 folder?

type2ornot.gif

Is the icon the only way to tell a type 1 from a type 2? Is it the best way?

Is this correct?

type1or2.gif

What about hotfixes for .NET and WMP? Say I want .NET and WMP9 to be installed with windows. Would it be best to modify the following lines (parts I edited in bold).

rem MAKECAB SVCPACK.INF /L W2KSP4SS\I386

rem DEL SVCPACK.INF

Then manually add something like:

MPSetup9.exe /Q

dotnetfx.exe /Q

to the existing svcpack.ini, then makecab it?

One last thing, I don't know what a compressed binary is. I would like to install MSXML, but I don't know what files to add to the MSXML dir.

Is msxml.msi a compressed binary file?

Any input appreciated! I don't think this is terribly complicated, I'm just not familiar with the terminology.

If you are a bit unclear on hotfix types, I encourage you to visit

unattended.msfn.org

However, the pictures you show in your post show the correct type 1 and type 2 fix icons. I do not plan on integrating WMP9 or any other WMP. On the same lines, I don't plan on integrating .net either. Download the latest zip file I posted last nite. With that, you can put your SFX packages in a folder called EXE and you can edit what the proper switch is.

As for what's needed for msxml, I have it spelled out already on what's needed in the CMD file. You will need to register them after you install the slipstreamed source.

Hope this helps

[edited to make me look like less of an a-hole]

First part: Compatibility

I don't think the unattended.msfn.org tutorial covers the following hotfixes.

type2maybe.gif

Second part: Icons

I didn't ask what a type 1 or a type 2 hotfix is, I asked about the best way to tell them apart.

Third part: Other Install Files

I tried what I asked about: rem'ed out the part of the CMD that cab's the svcpack.inf and edited it. It works now...

Fourth part: MSXML

"MSXML - PLACE MSXML COMPRESSED BINARIES HERE" isn't spelling it out, it's pretty much the least description possible.

For anyone debating between this and the normal svcpack method: The svcpack method may be easier, just install the hotfixes in order, no directories, no batch files, and no manual registration.

Unless of course, this method will actually yeild an improvement after installation (which I asked about earlier, if anyone wants to clue me in).

[original post below if anyone cares or something]

First part: Compatibility (sorry for asking my uneducated questions).

I don't think the unattended.msfn.org tutorial covers the following hotfixes.

[image]

Second part: Icons (again, sorry for asking my uneducated questions).

I guess a "yes" or a "no" would be too much to ask.

I didn't ask what a type 1 or a type 2 hotfix is, I asked about the best way to tell them apart. I actually said...

"Is the icon the only way to tell a type 1 from a type 2?" (A yes or no question)

and

"Is it the best way?" (A yes or no question)

Third part: Other Install Files (deeply sorry for asking my uneducated questions).

I tried what I asked about: rem'ed out the part of the CMD that cab's the svcpack.inf and edited it. It works now, seems like if you read my post and you noticed that it would work it would be easy to say "Yeah, that should work."

Fourth part: MSXML (please forgive me for asking my uneducated questions).

Sorry, but you haven't spelled it out, the instructions in the CMD file are minimal. ("MSXML - PLACE MSXML COMPRESSED BINARIES HERE" isn't spelling it out.)

Again, I am truely sorry for asking anything, it wont happen again. I guess if someone can't create batch files like this on their own they shouldn't be using yours.

For anyone debating between this and the normal svcpack method: The svcpack method may be easier, just install the hotfixes in order, no directories, no batch files, and no manual registration.

Unless of course, this method will actually yeild an improvement after installation (which I asked about earlier, if anyone wants to clue me in).

It sounds like the answers I gave before you took it like I was being sarcastic, which I wasn't. I certainly hope that encouraging others to read isn't a bad thing. Whatevs.

Part one. OK

Part two.

An icon isn't the only way to tell a type 1 and type 2 fix apart. However, by viewing the icon, it is easily noticable and the best way. If you go to the sticky for critical hotixes and downloaded them all, you will notice that there are two types of icons. A type 1 has a plain old box and the type 2 has a yellow box in front of another. The icons you show have the correct descriptions, exactly as I said in my first reply to you. For example, KB870669 is a type 2 hotfix; KB329115 is a type 1.

Part three.

I'm not sure of your question here, but if you editted it and it works, don't complain. On the same unattended.msfn.org site is a ton of information about setting up the svcpack.inf file.

Part four.

MSXML: a compressed binary usually has an underscore at the end. Sort of like this sfc.dl_.

I'm back in the saddle again... :blushing:

I'll keep this short and concise...

I'd like windows update to recognize I've allready installed the hotfixes.

As I understand it I need to "register" the infs for the hotfixes. The INFs for the slipstreemed hotfixes are in the INFS folder.

To register an INF I need to execute this:

%systemroot%\System32\rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection [b]<filename>[/b].INF ,DefaultInstall

Is executing that command for each file all that is needed to register an INF?

Is there anything wrong with registering INFs like this?

I'd like to help if I can...

tommyp, you mentioned editing a portion of the INF and integrating that with the hive files.

The hive files are the registry right? So you want to automate the process of editing out the correct portion and injecting that into the registry. Am I close to being right here?

What part(s) of the INFs is/are the correct part(s)?

Yep, that's how you install inf files via a commandline. In fact, you can also do a right click on them and click install. And yes, you can include the registry hives for the same updates too.

Yesterday I was working on another iteration of that cmd file. I wrote up a set of instructions on what's needed so it should help a bit, which will be included in that zip file. The nice part about this version is that you can run all the infs without typing in any commandlines. It even works for xp too!!!! I just have to check a few more things out before I post it.

Couple of questions pls

Firstly I followed this and it's a great way of doing this install but despite adding in 2 "fix" files from the other site I still got a digital signature box displayed at install time to which I had to click yes to.

Secondly what's the easiest way to add in all the inf file information, when I right clicked and chose install I kept getting file errors (I need to double check this wasn't read errors on the CDs) and it didn't know where to install files from.

This is on 2000 pro btw.

Oh and thirdly there are 2 install files on the first post, what's the difference and which is the best to use for 2000 pro?

Oh and lastly :D can I use these for 2000 server?

Edit

Also the .inf files create several files from the same hotfix, the XP ones r obviously for XP but what is the difference in these and do I run all of them?

Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_DLvl.inf.INF

Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_Win2K.inf.INF

Q832483.EXE Q832483_252_Win2Kx.inf.INF

(Just started down this path...)

So you guys are saying this CMD file can integrate DirectX 9C without requiring

user interaction? I would swear I had tried the switches (QA & RN) before - and it didn't work. Though I do have the dx9ntopk (aka 9B) now.

<EDIT> Ok. Repack files with a modified setup.exe. Done! <TX Hirudin>

Also, MDAc ver 2.53 ?? Why not 2.8?

@tommyp

You saidIf you want to run windows2000, you need FDV's sfc and setupapi files

Where would this be? - ah geez, am I lame? fred (www.)vorck.com - didn't

make the connection before. Sorry.

So you guys are saying this CMD file can integrate DirectX 9C without requiring

user interaction?  I would swear I had tried the switches (QA & RN) before - and it didn't work.

I'm pretty sure you need to "repack" your DirectX. I followed the instructions here and it works fine (dxdiag runs without errors).

If you use the above method you don't need any switches, you can edit them out of the cmd file or out of the SVCPACK.IN_(.cab) file after the script has run.

@tommyp

I have downloaded your last slipstreamer_Feb25 archive.

After reading instructions.txt, i have noticed some errors:

ADD TO [OleControlDlls] SECTION
11,,wshcon.dll,R;SCRIPTEN HOTFIX
11,,msxml2.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml2r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml3.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml3r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4a.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES
11,,msxml4r.dll,R;MSXML SUPPORT FILES

msxml<version_number>a.dll and msxml<version_number>r.dll are resource only DLLs.

so the correct instruction is

ADD TO [OleControlDlls] SECTION
11,,wshcon.dll,R;SCRIPTEN HOTFIX
11,,msxml2.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser
11,,msxml3.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser
11,,msxml4.dll,R;Microsoft XML <version_number> parser

Next, register the DLL files you want to use.

a.  To register Msxml.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml.dll 

b.  To register Msxml2.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml2.dll 

c.  To register Msxml3.dll, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

regsvr32 msxml3.dll 

Version list for the Microsoft XML parser
Note If MSXML4.0 is installed on a computer that is running Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition, the Msxml4a.dll file is installed. If the parser is installed on a computer that is running Windows NT, Windows 2000, or Windows XP, the WinHTT5.dll file is installed.
Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Thank you for the update! I think it'll make it a whole lot easier for people who just want to get it done without having to get a PhD in slipstreaming.

The nice part about this version is that you can run all the infs without typing in any commandlines.

Is this implemented in the new file (2/25)?

So the new cmd file will automatically patch your install files so that WU knows that you've already installed the hotfixes?

Guys I really have a severe problem :(

The reason is that I'm trying to get the W2k cd done but I have a TURKISH version.And I exactly did what has to be done in TommyP's instructions.

The question is that after I install postsp.inf inf as mentioned, why does windows update still show up 32 hotfixes? I slipstreamed all the hotfixes and I resgister the inf file manually also after setup but still no luck.

Can someone please help me :}

I f I cant get it done, I think I'll use XpCreate from greenmachine but it is slow and lots of junk files...