HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

That's a ton of q's. Hopefully these answers will help out.

I define a "standalone" installation as a "stock" sort of configuration, with no optional components removed by nlite.

I define a "nlited" installation as an installation cd that you run NLITE to slim the source down even further. I have my I386 folder shrunk down to 128 meg suing NLITE.

By saying scripten hf2, I mean it that it's a type 2 hotfix.

If you built a repacked directx9c package that requries a different switch, you CAN edit the cmd file. In fact, I encourage anyone who uses it to edit it. I created my dx9c package such a long time ago, I forgot exactly how I did it. That's why I created that cmd file with the /Q:A /R:N switches.

I cannot confirm, but if you are using an xpcreated source i386 folder, chances are that this cmd file isn't for you. Your best bet is to use a virgin source.

On WMP stuff. I don't plan on integrating any WMP stuff. It's too bloated for me. However, if you read through the source of the cmd file, and you're a bit technical saavy, then you should be able to slipstream both WMP9 in there too. Hell, maybe you can slipstream WMP10 in there instead.

Hope this helps

Hey Tommyp,

I'm really interested in your precious work and appreciate your good work.The question is;

Did you find a way to integrate the inf files (I dont use your inf files in the batch files but the ones that your cmd file created) to the XP or W2k install?

Thanks in advance...

Donjuan, Thanks for the positive feedback. I haven't figured out how to automate the INF entries. By automating, I mean extracting a portion of the inf file and integrating it with the hive files. I'm sure it's possible, but editing the infs isn't that tough. However, I would recommend that you run at least the ones for internet explorer (if you have slipstreamed them). The inf files makes some registry changes that deal with activex.

MY dear friend,

I again say your approach to slipstreaming technology is really the best I've ever tried or seen.It is some kind of thing that microsoft IS NOT WILLING to do so you do it instead of them.This is the most important part in your work because everybody goes over the way of SVCPACK method which is something JUNK for me.

Now I have another question my friend if you dont mind.I am not that much familiar with batch scripts.

What is the command line for registering hives or registry settings in inf files.I mean, when we right click and say install on the inf files, this is equivalent to a command line in windows and I ask what it is :no:

Again thank you my friend...

Hope your work will be considered good and appreciated.

Thanks for the replys! I'm pulling my hair out trying to make this thing work, well not really, but it is taking a lot of my time... I can only imagine how much time you must have put in tommyp (and Bilou_Gateux?). I get the impression Bilou_Gateux helped a lot with this also :huh: ?

I'm going to go over all the replys a couple times, try it a couple more times, then get back to y'all...

Before I post this let me say thank you again! :thumbup Especially to tommyp and Bilou_Gateux!

@Bilou, You have lots of great ideas/suggestions, but I have no idea on how to incorporate them. Can you please add in some code so I can copy and paste it into that CMD file, or if you prefer I can pass the reigns to you as the keeper of the slipstreamer. Either way is cool with me.

An idea on running that inf, perhaps it can be run using an OEM folder cmdline? If that is done, the winnt.sif file would need to get modded such that during the installation, the OEM folder is copied over and the cmdline is run.

Toomyp,

I'm deeply working on the brand new w2k project from your batch files.For XP is based on w2k, I'm thinking whether this cmd file can integrate windows XP fixes also? Because textsetup.sif,dosnet.inf and layout inf terminology is just the same.Did you ever try this on XP ?

Please let us know..thanks...

By the way just a reminder my friend..

In your cmd file there is a syntax error which leads to dosnet.sif and which should be dosnet.inf

and another thing is that there are two [files] sections in dosnet inf.Where should we add the

"wshcon.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0"

and

msxml2.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml2r.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml3.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml3r.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml4.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml4a.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

msxml4r.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0

to first or second one :unsure:

to first or second one :unsure:

You can add it in the one you want, all [Files] section from DOSNET.INF are parsed by setup during install.

In my W2K DOSNET.INF, i add new dlls sorted in alphabetical order on the biggest [Files] section.

Example d1,msxml3.dll line is added just after d1,msxml.dll line

In my W2K TXTSETUP.SIF, i add new dlls sorted in alphabetical order on the biggest [sourceDiskFiles] section.

Example msxml3.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0 line is added just after msxml.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0 line

It's the same if you add msxml2*.dll