HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

You're right, the msxml files aren't registered off the bat. I run a regsvr32 command to register the msxml files after the install. I guess an inf file can do the same thing too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, I have tried using both svcpack and using tommyp's w2khf.rar

tommyp's method does install much faster and is much smaller, it's actually very cool!

I still have a problem... the first time windows starts (after installing) explorer.exe has an error. The error is probably my fault, I was using files from the latest XPcreate instead of an XP-SP1 CD. [edit]Also, I realize I had "Q832483.EXE" in the wrong folder... Oops[/edit]

I'm a little unclear on a couple things though. tommyp, maybe you can help me out???

The following quote is one thing I'm confused about.

ECHO *  SETUPAPI.DL_ AND SFC.DL_ FROM FDV'S SITE IF MAKING STANDALONE W2K

ECHO *  SETUPAPI.DL_ AND SFC.DL_ NOT REQUIRED IF MAKING NLITE'D W2K

ECHO    -    (BUT YOU MUST SELECT DISABLE SYSTEM FILE PROTECTION)

ECHO.

ECHO IF YOU ARE SLIPSTREAMING THE SCRIPTEN HF2, THEN YOU MUST EDIT THE

ECHO FOLLOWING IN THE W2KSP4 SOURCE

ECHO    FILENAME    INSERT TEXT                    AFTER THIS LINE:

ECHO    DOSNET.INF  "wshcon.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0"  [sourceDisksFiles]

ECHO    TXTSETUP.SIF "wshcon.dll = 2,,,,,,,2,0,0"  [sourceDisksFiles]

What do you mean by "STANDALONE W2K"? Does it have something to do with upgrading from another version of windows or something?

What do you mean by "NLITE'D W2K"? Are you saying you don't need the files if you are using nlite to make your iso, as long as you check "disable system file protection"?

I think this is a typo or something, but what is "SCRIPTEN HF2"?

My DOSNET.INF file doesn't have a "[sourceDisksFiles]" line. Should I add it? Is the bottom of the file good enough?

Also, I repacked DX9 using the instructions here. Is the resulting file what you're referring to here:

THE REPACKED DX9C THAT USES A "/Q:A /R:N" SWITCH
I'm asking because the linked post doesn't mention "/Q:A /R:N", it does however have you add "/install /silent." I just want to make sure "/Q:A /R:N" and "/install /silent" are the same thing... Would it be better to repack it again using /Q:A /R:N instead?

I'm not sure what you mean by this:

ECHO AFTER INSTALLATION IS COMPLETE, RUN A SERIES OF INFS TO UPDATE THE

ECHO REGISTRY SO WINDOWSUPDATE REPORTS ALL HOTFIXES ARE APPLIED.

Are you saying that the batch file will run the INFs, or that I have to? If I have to do it manually, which INFs do I run? To run an INF is it just right click>Install, right?

The only way I know to tell the difference between the type 1 and type 2 hotfixes is to look at the icon, is that the best way? It's not clear what files you can add to the HF1 and HF2 directories. Is this file (gdidettool.exe) a compatable type 2 hotfix?

One last thing, I downloaded all the hotfixes linked on this page, some of them are for WMP9 (like this one: "KB885492 -› Security Update for Windows Media Player 9 Series"). Should I remove this hotfix before running your CMD file? Can your CMD file also integrate mpsetup9.exe somehow? Can I install mpsetup9.exe using the svcpack method and still have the hotfix(es) install propperly?

Thanks a ton!

Hirudin