HFSLIP (original thread)

tommyp

Click here for the current version.

HFSLIP is a small CMD file to slipstream hotfixes into a Windows source without the need for a svcpack folder full of EXE files that would only be integrated.

Windows 2000 Instructions

Windows XP/2003 Instructions.

HFSLIP is a hotfix slipstreaming program for Windows 2000 and Windows XP and Windows 2003.

* It slipstreams and recabs Type 1, Type 2, and MSXML-MSI hotfix binaries into the Windows source (if it's a hotfix, HFSLIP can handle it!)

* It integrates programs that use silent, switchless installers like WMP9 [2K only], WMP10 [XP and 2003 only] and DotNet.

* You can import registry entries, run CMD files and run INF files at T-13 minutes. This makes your settings "stick".

* It force feeds hotfix registry information during the installation, the registry information is taken right from the hotfix you want to slipstream. All hotfixes would be localized.

* It force feeds the additional files required for your installation.

* It force feeds the necessary catalog files into the registry.

* It maintains digital signature data on all files used for installation.

* It doesn't rely on any modified DLLs for installation.

* There is no need to disable system file protection, SFC is maintained after installation.

* A winnt.sif file is not required, and no editing of any source files is required.

* It runs in a command box on Win2k and higher.

* All languages supported

* Fully localized installation for all OS's

* File to report errors are automatically generated.

Windows 2000 specific features:

* It slipstreams Internet Explorer 6 into Windows 2000 (or, you can use IE 5).

* It slipstreams DX9C into Windows 2000 (but does not have bloat -- no pictures of joysticks, etc.)

* It slipstreams all Type 1 and Type 2 critical updates.

* The Microsoft post rollup errors with Hardware Abstraction Layer and the SCSI driver are resolved with this issue. Note: With the rollup errors repaired, windows update will report that the rollup is not installed. Read the instruction set if you would rather have windowsupdate happy instead.

* It slipstreams the Windows Genuine Advantage and slipstreams the new WindowsUpdateAgent.

* It integrates the Malicious Software tool for the people who can't live life seeing it as a WU.

* It slipstreams the WMP 9/10 codecs (not the player).

* It slipstreams HFExpert items.

Windows XP specific features:

* It slipstreams all Type 1 critical updates. It can also slipstream type 2 updates as well, but there are no Type 2 at this time for XP.

* It slipstreams the Windows Genuine Advantage and the new WindowsUpdateAgent.

* It integrates the Malicious Software tool for the people who can't live life seeing it as a WU.

* It slipstreams WMP10 (less the WDF components). If you need WDF, then don't slipstream it in the HF folder. Read links below for details.

* It slipstreams WMP10 codecs (not the player) less DRM.

Windows 2003 specific features:

* It slipstreams all Type 1 critical updates. It can also slipstream type 2 updates as well, but there are no Type 2 at this time for 2003.

* It slipstreams the Windows Genuine Advantage and the new WindowsUpdateAgent.

* It slipstreams WMP10 codecs (not the player) less DRM.

Once the file is run, it will create a fully slipstreamed source in a folder called SOURCESS. Installation must be from a CD.

Caution is advised for those who slipstream DX9C into W2K and run NLITE on the sourcess folder.

What is needed: A drive with a few gig of free space and the abilty to read.

Error Reporting. Please post these items so I can help troubleshoot if needed. I cannot help you without it.

-- The ERROR_REPORT.TXT file, with the bottom part completed by you.

-- Your hfnetchk log - this is HFNETCHK -V -F C:\WU.TXT

- ZIP up the above and post the info.

- (Hint a filename like ERRORZIP.RAR is not a ZIP file.

-----------

I have tested this with English versions and works great. Additional language support was added, however, I cannot test with other languages. YMMV. Please report any issues with languages and include the output from HFNETCHK if applicable.

Detailed directions are in the attached zip file.

Slipstream Data File Download

For Windows 2000, please visit FDV's site on this.

For Windows XP and 2003, please visit FDV's site on this.

Edited by fdv

Great work Bilou,

You can delete that dummy.cab from your list.

Thanks for the inf info, but I have all but one of the infs needed to make windowsupdate to think it's all patched/updated. Let me know if you want me to mail them to you. I'll test those commandlines out that you gave. I guess it's ok to have remedial questions once in a while. HAHA.

It appears that windowsupdate only checks the registry. The commandline HFNETCHK utility checks file versions, and the Microsoft Baseline Analyzer checks both. Weird. Each is good in their own way I guess.

The registry spot that windowsupdate generally checks is:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Updates

- there will be 4 "folders" there

-DataAccess\

-Internet Explorer 6\SP1\

-Windows 2000\SP5\

-Windows Media Player

Another spot the hotfixes write to is here:

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Hotfix\

I don't think that windowsupdate looks there, but there isn't too much more in the infs to insert it anyway.

My remaining inf needed is for MSOE (KB823353). I tried a bunch of variations, but I seem to *think* that this hotfix is the only one that needs some reference in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft\Active Inf Setup\oeupdate. It's an oddball. I'll confirm it in a bit.

KB823353.INF

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
AdvancedINF=2.5,%BadAdvpackVer%

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=Uninstinfo.reg,Uninst.Reg,Actsetup.Reg
RunPreSetupCommands=
CheckAdminRights=1

[Uninstinfo.reg]
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup\%COMPNAME%"

[Uninst.Reg]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer","UpdateInf",,"%17%\%COMPID%.inf"

[Actsetup.Reg]
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%",,,"%COMPID%"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%","IsInstalled",0x10001,01,00,00,00
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%","Version",,"%VERSION%"
HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%","ComponentID",,"%COMPID%"

[Strings]
BadAdvpackVer="Incorrect version of advpack.dll. Please get new version from [URL=http://www.microsoft.com"]http://www.microsoft.com"[/URL]
COMPNAME            = oeupdate
Compversion         = 28001450
Compid              = Q823353
Version             = "6,0,2800,1450"
Guid                = {f5173cf0-1dfb-4978-8e50-a90169ee7ca9}

We must add data here

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"MinorVersion"=";SP1;Q823353;"

The missing part to add = Q823353;

MINORVER.INF

[Version]
Signature="$Chicago$"
AdvancedINF=2.5,%BadAdvpackVer%

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=IESettings.AddReg
RunPreSetupCommands=
CheckAdminRights=1

[IESettings.AddReg]
HKLM,%IESettingsRegKey%,MinorVersion,,"%MINORVER%"

[Strings]
IESettingsRegKey = "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"
MINORVER=";SP1;Q823353;"

the command is

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection <path><INF-Data> ,<Section>

ie

rundll32.exe advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection MINORVER.INF ,DefaultInstall

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Bilou, Thanks for the commandline, it worked. Finally got the MDAC complete as well as that MSOE PITA update.

Here's what you inf info needed for the OE update to say it's installed via windowsupdate.

HKLM,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings","MinorVersion",0,";SP1;Q823353;"

No more critical updates reported with my install.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, tommyp!

Now that you've done it, no need for me to try to integrate it into XPCREATE! Sorry, but I really haven't got the time these days. And if I were to to be so inclined, I would need to make sure that there is no Windows EULA violations (I've not studied it carefully enough to verify that ... ). Maybe I'll have more time, now that Hell has frozen over ...

Bilou: I saw you mention in another thread a utility to manually extract MSI files (I think that is what you mentioned). If that was not it, it was some sort of extractor that looked like a tool I should have. Peut tu me le passe?

Guest bit_pusher
- I remember something about a file called iesetup.dll.  The installation process needs it, I got it from somewhere.  Maybe the XP cd?   

Could you explain this tommy? is a tad ambiguous. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...