Firefox Web Browser? Why do I want this?

RichTJ99

2 questions: why not? and why didn't you try to search for comparatives/reviews?

your reply should start here.

but in resume firefox is less vulnerable (at the moment) and more stable, also has more features like tab browsing, better popup blocker and hability to use themes and extensions.

RichTJ99, I tried Firefox out just because of all the spyware that IE attracts. I was constantly getting pop-ups that have "can we do this to your PC?" questions. I would say "No" and still get crap installed without my consent anyway. Got plain sick of it. Ad-Aware (although highly touted here and elsewhere) didn't seem to do wonders for me. Spybot was an improvement, but still, my PC was being a target since I was using IE for all my web browsing.

So, I tried Firefox, surfed forever and a day, no pop-ups - NONE. (Sorry SP2, you were just a wee bit too slow in getting here)

Not only that, the whole tabbing feature makes much more sense. It keeps you from crowding the task bar with a bunch of windows that eventually merge when you get too many (which is annoying to me - I tend to open a lot of windows).

Those 2 features alone - pop-up blocking and tabbing - make Firefox superior, in my opinion. But as you toy with the options in Firefox, you will see that it has a LOT more to offer. Customize to your delight. Add extensions and plug-ins that support the programs you use most, and well, there's just no turning back to IE for me. Sorry Microsoft, you guys should have stopped ZDNet from sending me all those emails that pointed out the IE security flaws which in turn prompted me to try something different. I am now one happy customer. Oh, wait a minute, Firefox is free.....

SiMoNsAyS, thanks for the silent delight. I'll be testing that out soon.

2 questions: why not? and why didn't you try to search for comparatives/reviews?

your reply should start here.

but in resume firefox is less vulnerable (at the moment) and more stable, also has more features like tab browsing, better popup blocker and hability to use themes and extensions.

erm stable? :} IE is stable too....

but before SP2 come out IE accept too much thingies automatically (for example activeX) and FF dont. Most users use IE and thats why scriptkiddies write virusses and adware for IE and FF dont have this problem (at this moment)

But FF is growing more and more populair and i am waiting for the first virus or adware for FF...

@SolidasRock didn't want to start a discussion about which is better but... more stable yes, Ff NEVER have hang on my system and IE... LoL. i agree, with sp2 things have been improved anyway how many features of Ff, IE can offer??

finally about spyware, 90% of the net is using IE so that's the reply but, again, i'm sure that at the moment Ff 1.0 is less vulnerable than IE.

It's no uglier/slower than IE (how ugly can a window frame and a half dozen skinned buttons can be?). IE will make your system a lot slower by installing scum on it and hence forces you to run spyware scanners to get rid of that stuff that wouldn't end up on your PC if you were using FF. People are just starting to accept spyware and scanning to remove it as a "normal" thing, along with forced reboots.

FF doesn't have annoying popups and doesn't get spyware on your PC (IE will never be as good) . Also there's tons of great extensions for FF that makes IE look very featureless. It's a much better browser overall too (renders stuff properly and standards compliant and everything else)

I've converted hundreds of people to FF... I have yet to see someone not like it. None of them ever complained of any problems with it (more the inverse, lots find great extensions for it) - and their PCs keep clean too.

OK, IE is crap... Do you even know how many security holes there are in IE!? A LOT!! Firefox is not ugly and not slow if you configure it properly... There a lot more extensions for Firefox that add more functionality to it than IE... You would be surprised what this browser can do! :)

I'll put in a semi-netural post here.

I've tried FF (back in the 0.9 days, I haven't tried 1.0) and I've got to say that it does have some nice features (tabbed browsing, download manager, etc). However, since I'm using keyboard shortcuts more and more everyday (it's a hassle to have to move the cursor to the back button all the time with a touchpad), I found that FF was simply lacking in that department. In order to open up a new tab, you need to hit Ctrl+T, which is quite a stretch for the left hand, even though I have pretty big hands. Ctrl+N is so nice and simple for the right hand.

Also, the limitations of the Gecko engine are another downside with FF. There are several websites that I've been to where the page simply doesn't load with FF (since IE is on 90% of computers out there and some webpages are therefore made for IE).

There are several other browser replacements out there that also do a fine job of handling tabbed browsing, download managers, etc etc. I'm currently using Maxthon right now, with Java Applets and ActiveX disabled by default. Along with Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D's Immunize, I haven't had anything spyware-wise on my computer since I formatted and re-installed (over three months ago now).

Another nice thing about Maxthon is that it doesn't change anything in terms of finding your options and settings from IE, aside from adding more inbetween.

Agreed that FF is less suceptible for Adware/Spyware than IE, but like SolidasRock said, ultimately there will be those jerks out there who will write spyware that will get through FF.

Anyways, if the Mozilla group can improve the keyboard shortcuts (or make them an option somewhere), then I might consider switching to FF. Until then I'll stick with Maxthon(g).

Microsoft made IE.... enough said. :P

sure i agree with the 90% of the world uses IE, thats why IE gets hit hard. I tried Firefox back in 0.9 liked it but I formatted and never put it back on... Computer got massivly hit with spyware, adware auto installing itself so i just did another format. I haven't once opened IE since and my computer is running smooth. nothing auto-installs no spyware, no adware, no security flaws, no BHO *Browser Helper Objects* (toolbars) auto installing.

plus with Themes and Extenstions why not switch?