Problems with New P4 and Mobo

drmarvin

I'm at a loss of what is wrong, with my new system, so I thought I'd throw it out there to the experts. The following is my prediciment.

Brand new Soyo SY-P4VGA ATX P4 motherboard, BIOS flashed to most up to date (happened before flash too)

Brand new Intel P4 2.8gig non-Prescott 512k cache

Brand new 512meg DDR PC333 ram

Board has onboard Audio, S3 video, and Ethernet

Also have tried with my ATI Radeon 9000 Pro, Promise ATA 133 card + hard drives

Symptoms occur with any configuration, even with just onboard equipment and hard drive.

The computer is stable if very little is going on, but if you get it to do more than about 1-2 things at once, or anything graphical, this go down the tubes. The computer freezes all the time, for no obvious reason. The temperatures seem fine. The heat sink is mounted with thermal paste and the stock fan. No fan on the mainboard chip, but heatsink is in place. Now when looking at the temps with HMonitor, it looks like the mainboard may be heating up (say 74C in red) and the heatsink definately feels warmer than the one on the CPU. I have a feeling this is what it is related to, but I'm not sure. I have replaced the RAM to no avail, so I am looking for some input into what you think the culprit is.

New Mobo?

New CPU?

I want to play with my new faster toy, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dr Marvin

i'd tend to agree.... do you have any other motherboards that you could test that P4 in? That would eliminate either the CPU or the mobo from your variables list.

I wouldn't bet neccessarily on the northbridge chipset overheating. It is typically going to be warmer than the CPU, regardless of the presence of a fan.

Outside of testing the components individually with known working stuff, there's not a whole lot you're going to be able to do.

good luck

Thanks for the replies. I have compe to the conclusion that it's a cooling problem. I believe that initially, it was a power supply problem, but that was rectified. Now I just have to plan out a good cooling option, since I think the freezing is from overheating.

Also, I have foudn that using Hmonitor, using the throttling feature, I can make it stable with the Radeon card, but it seems with other testing, the onboard video and a Kyro2 64megKyro2 64meg are stable without throttling, figuring it may be a problem with my Radeon card in this system. The card works flawlessly in my slower system, but the jump from an Athlon 650 to a P$ 2.8gig seems to be a problem.

First, go into the BIOS Setup and select "Load Failsafe Defaults", or something like that. If that still doesn't help, just follow mine and everyone elses advice and replace the MOBO. Soyo sux, and I had one for a year with constant problems. Get an MSI, Abit, Asus or Gigabyte board, you wont go wrong with any of those manufacturers.