Windows Media Connect & WindowsXP-KB834707-x86-enu

alex123fire

Just Ran WU After Installing With My New Windows Xp Pro Disk Created By The Lovely XPCREATE (Great Job! Keep Up The Good Work), And I Got THese Two Updates

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for XP Service Pack 2 (KB834707)

File=WindowsXP-KB834707-x86-enu.exe

Windows Media Connect

File=wmcsetup.exe

What Folder Do I Need To Place Them So That When I Build My Next Disk It Contains These Updates. Help Is Much Appreciated. Thnx

Wow, my first need to post on this board.

I have not had success with this one. It slipstreams ok, but when i install, I get errors during setup, and it proceeds reboot. This is the only hotfix I have added. My source cd is a Microsoft corporate distribution of WinXP with SP2, so I have very few hotfixes to add so far. Details as follows:

Error msg 1 - Title: winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Text: The procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

Error msg 2 - Title: services.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Text: The procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

Error msg 3 - Title: lsass.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Error msg 4 - Title: RUNDLL

Text: Error loading shell32. The specified procedure could not be found

... and finally...

Error msg 5 - Title: Fatal Error

Text: An error has been encountered the prevents Setup from continuing. Setup was unable to initialize Network installation components. The specific error code is 2.

Setuperr.log indicates most of these to be registration errors.

Microsoft KB article #829786 tells how to fix this problem after the fact.

In advance, thanks for all of your efforts and help. Gary

For the mean time, Windows Media Connect can be re-packaged as discussed in the Application Switched thread, and placed in SVC-POS (I think ... )

Thanks for the input, homiebrah.

Using you method in that topic would require WMC.EXE to be put in SVC-HF2. It uses the /Q:A /R:N switch.

I have not had success with this one.  It slipstreams ok, but when i install, I get errors during setup, and it proceeds reboot.  This is the only hotfix I have added.  My source cd is a Microsoft corporate distribution of WinXP with SP2, so I have very few hotfixes to add so far.  Details as follows:

@gbmacman

I've made two CD with SP2 with no issues (i've seen this error though) .

Have you tried the integration switches ? I'm just curious, not sure if it helps at all.

I remembered, Bilou_Gateaux provided a way to get it working, look it up on the 2k updates thread..

Welcome, alex123fire and gbmacman, to MSFN!

Actually, homiebrah, WMC.EXE should be put in SVC-POS, which also uses those same switches. THis will ensure that XPCREATE does not try to slipstream WMC.

As for all your errors, gbmacman, I do believe, as Body suggests, shlwapi.dll is the cause. I cannot remember which hotfix this file is in, but there does seem to be a version conflict.

As it turns out there are 2 versions of this update from M$.

IE6.0-KB834707-WindowsXP-x86-ENU and WindowsXP-KB834707-x86-enu.

The first one is the problem child. The second (which all of you know) works great. Thanks again...

• 3 weeks later...