conflict with AT&T global network dialer

destoo

Hello Gape.

Hello everyone.

I've tried to install the AT&T Global Network Client on top of Windows 98SE with the SP 1.6.2 update.

It ran into a script updating windows 98's network drivers (a microsoft hotfix, I'll try to find the number again), and now I can't roll back, uninstall tcp/ip or even view network settings in the control panel. It gives me the same error message:

"ERROR

Invalid Windows version (Windows98 SE). This program requires Windows 95/98. Assuming system is running Windows(57)98."

And pressing OK just brings up the error again, stuck in a loop.

So the program figured it was an unpatched version of windows 98, added one of microsoft's quick fix automatically, and went on.

I can still work, but after every reboot my tcp/ip go back to what they were at the installation of the software instead of sticking to ips assigned by my router.

Reinstalling windows is not a problem. I just want to report it. (or if you have a quick fix, I'll try it)

You can download the version of AT&T Global Network dialer I used at

ftp.attglobal.net/pub/client/win32/v5091.exe

(d5091 is the regular internet dialer, v5091 is the one that includes the net firewall/ipdial capabilities)

Any help will be apreciated! thanks.

Hi,

Interesting problem. If you are familiar with Regedit, I hope you can easily fix this problem.

Run regedit.exe from Start-Run, and go to this folder:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Find "Version" in the right panel, and modify it as "Windows98".