HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

Sorry if this has been asked before but there are 80 some odd pages and I really don't have the engery to search through each one just for this which I have no clue how to keyword search it.

I know that with the plan white icon the switches are /Q /O /N /Z

And with the other icon the switches are /Q:A /R:N which as annoying as hell there they are 2 different ones

What about if the icon is this?

icon8yk.jpg

KB886903.exe /Q

KB873374 is the only 'Type 2' hotfix I've got.

You know, I make a nice switchless installer for .NET 1.1 which includes the KB886903 update ;)

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/

No offense I'd rather get the files from a source I trust, in a manner of speaking.

Ok so now I have 2 different answers; one being "/q /n /z" and that they got rid of all type 2 [that's all fine and dandy but SP2 can kiss my butt, I aint using that buggy crap] and now I've got an answer of just /Q.

Screw it I'll just do them manually or something.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not and again I'm not going to bother to look that hard. Making the list of hotfixes to add when using the SVCPACK.INF is a pain to type all of that out. What I did was a dump method to make the list of files.

Start->Run type cmd

Use the cd command to get the folder where the hotfixes are; for example C:\XPCD\I386\SVCPACK

Now type: dir /b > hotfix.txt

The result is a file in the \SVCPACK\ folder called hotfix.txt that has just a list of the filename in order by name

From there you can use Notepad or Wordpad to a replace...

Find: .EXE

Replace: .EXE /Q /O /N /Z

Click Replace All

Now just go back and manual redo any files the need the Type 2 method which does seem to be just a few.

Ofcourse if I thought of this I'm sure someone else had some time ago and posted it....oh well.

:lol:, I can tell you're new here :)

Suit yourself, there's plenty of information out there for how to integrate it yourself if you feel so inclined. Otherwise, 20,000+ downloads can't be wrong ;). Plus you could always try it in a VM if you think my work is shoddy.

I'm not saying anything bad about your work, I'm sure it's fine and safe other wise everyone here would jump your a**.

I just don't trust anyway. I really don't trust M$ that much either, look at their so called security and the reason for having to download 100+ patches. It's just that I feel safer getting files from their original source if I can help it.

I think the got rid of all the type 2 updates. All the new hotfixes use /q /n /z, with the exception of one.

And which one would that be?

From Page 1

KB890830 -› Microsoft® Windows® Malicious Software Removal Tool (v1.15)

Download -› 1.72 MB (April 11, 2006)

Switches: KB890830.exe /q (cannot use the /integrate; option)

:lol:, I can tell you're new here :

HA Ha HA AhHH Hha Aa Hh a!

Gee, I'm still laughing! :P

Yeah I wonder what gave it away?

That I asked my original question, or that I choose not to trust his little file, or the fact that I still have single digit post count.

But then I don't give a sh*t.

RyanVM if you want to feel offended that I don't trust you, then so be it. But like I said time and time again, I don't know you so I don't trust you. Oh and by the way, that file of yours isn't what I needed anyway.

And I've looked at your hotfixes pack, but a fat lot of good they would be me since they are SP2 and like I said SP2 is crap.

Everytime I think about upgrading to SP2 I end up seeing people having problems that are unique to SP2.

Edited by wolf68k

Everytime I think about upgrading to SP2 I end up seeing people having problems that are unique to SP2.

What problems are you refering to? SP2 was a major upgrade and I don't see the point of adding hotfixes to SP1, especially since some of these hotfixes are there to patch SP2. Is there anyone here not using SP2? If you check page one, you will see that all the hotfixes are post SP2.

Not going to comment about your trust in RyanVM. It is your choice and I respect that. But in the future, I would just like to say that there are more tactfull ways to have responded.

My .NET installer has nothing to do with my Update Pack. They're two seperate things.

But like I said before, you can always just manually integrate KB886903 into your .NET installer (not your XP install CD) if you're so worried about it.

Hi Guys,

i just integrated all Post SP2 Hotfixes with NLite. Is there a way to see what hotfixes are installed in my XP Pro when i install XP with that Nlite CD?

I can just see a few hotfixes, not all... even with [hotfix.exe] /l i only get a few hotfixes listed.

After i install them from my hotfix CD they are all there.

I just want to be sure that all hotfixes are installed without using the Windows Update Tool.

Cheers

Try QFECheck from Microsoft.