HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

Hi all,

after becoming aware of the hotfixes posted on the very first message on this topic, plus all hotfixes that tempuser mentioned, plus all hotfixes found on the_hotfix.net, plus all hotfixes I already had, I compiled a huge list of 280 hotfixes; unfortunately, it seems that most of them apply only to ENU Windows. Localized Windows versions have been left behind.

Some of them are already superceded. Anyway, I think it's interesting to know all of them so that we can keep track.

In what regards The_Hotfix.net, all of the hotfixes they found are compiled into a huge 344Mb file found on MajorGeeks.com, under "Admin Tools".

I tried to include the hyperlinks to The_Hotfix.net and MajorGeeks.com, but they were changed to "s.p.a.m.net" when I previewed this post. Even the simple mention of the first of these names is changed to "s.p.a.m.net". MajorGeeks is a website I've been accessing for a long time and The Hotfix.net is a new discovery but I can't say that I started receiving any more spam than I already do.

I can say that I have a very good antivirus, 4 very good anti-spyware programs - all of them for a long time already - and I haven't had any bad surprises on my machine.

I guess you'd all be interested on my list. Just tell me which would be the best way to post it or perhaps I should send a text file with the list to the administrator of this topic.

Peron

The switches for KB908519 are /quiet /passive /norestart as can be read in its description.

Incroyable HULK, don't just mindlessly copy the /q /n /z switches :realmad:

OK First of all, the /quiet and /passive switches don't get used together. Setup modes are one or the other. The description you are referring to clearly states that:

Setup Modes   
/passive
Unattended Setup mode. No user interaction is required, but installation status is displayed. If a restart is required at the end of Setup, a dialog box will be presented to the user with a timer warning that the computer will restart in 30 seconds.

/quiet
Quiet mode. This is the same as unattended mode, but no status or error messages are displayed.

Second, the /q /n as Hulk posted in the first page ARE correct, as they are shortcuts for /quiet /norestart. So it was not "mindlessly copied".

David

Hi all,

after becoming aware of the hotfixes posted on the very first message on this topic, plus all hotfixes that tempuser mentioned, plus all hotfixes found on the_hotfix.net, plus all hotfixes I already had, I compiled a huge list of 280 hotfixes; unfortunately, it seems that most of them apply only to ENU Windows. Localized Windows versions have been left behind.

Some of them are already superceded. Anyway, I think it's interesting to know all of them so that we can keep track.

In what regards The_Hotfix.net, all of the hotfixes they found are compiled into a huge 344Mb file found on MajorGeeks.com, under "Admin Tools".

I tried to include the hyperlinks to The_Hotfix.net and MajorGeeks.com, but they were changed to "s.p.a.m.net" when I previewed this post. Even the simple mention of the first of these names is changed to "s.p.a.m.net". MajorGeeks is a website I've been accessing for a long time and The Hotfix.net is a new discovery but I can't say that I started receiving any more spam than I already do.

I can say that I have a very good antivirus, 4 very good anti-spyware programs - all of them for a long time already - and I haven't had any bad surprises on my machine.

I guess you'd all be interested on my list. Just tell me which would be the best way to post it or perhaps I should send a text file with the list to the administrator of this topic.

Peron

It's a good idea, and essentially, what I am trying to do. But it seems that none of your sources are official. How do you know you have all the hotfixes? And they're all for SP2? I'd like an official list from Microsoft of hotfixes for XP SP2 that have not been superseded.

...snip...

I compiled a huge list of 280 hotfixes; unfortunately, it seems that most of them apply only to ENU Windows. Localized Windows versions have been left behind.

...snip...

This is what the first page of this forum is for. That page is updated as new hotfixes are released (by MICROSOFT) and tested by some people who help to keep this forum up to date.

You say you have 280 hotfixes for the English version of Windows.

And then you say that some of them may be superceded already.

If you are running XP SP2, there are only maybe 40 ACTIVE hotfixes required.

Sure it may be interesting to know what they all were, but a huge majority of people who watch this thread are using SP2 which already includes all the PRE-SP1 and PRE-SP2 hotfixes which would be in your list.

I wouldn't sweat over wasting much time trying to compile a package to distribute on here. Perhaps if you wanted to create an actual text listing of what they were and ATTACH it to a post, someone might find it useful.

Also, as Todd stated, if your sources are not Microsoft, then there will potentially be some doubt as to how legitimate your sources are. Of course they could be reputable, but Microsoft is the only official source of what hotfixes are available.

David

Windows XP Hotfix Install Utility.

http://users.telenet.be/Robvdb/WinXPHotFix.htm

WinUpdUK.JPG

OK I'm stumped.

This looks like an application that applies hotfixes while windows is already running.

So basically it does the same thing as Windows Update / Microsoft Update.

So then the question becomes: Why would you use a third party application to download and install hotfixes if you already have that capability?

I don't see the point, other than taking a chance installing some application that someone in another country wrote, with no idea of how secure, virus free, spyware free it might be.

Just my opinion though...

Thoughts?

David

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out why a few updates were removed or not added for Win Xp SP2

MS05-012 comes in two parts

7 Feb 05 kb873333

and

18 May 05 kb894391

Isn't the second part a patch only if the first is installed?

What happended to

MS 05-016 kb893086 (repalces 05-005/890047)

and

MS 05-039 kb899588

Thank you

Edited by svasutin

Just compiled a list of hotfixes:

http://rapidshare.de/files/11022659/msupdate.htm.html

Tables are exact copies of http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/catalog and they should be sorted by names.

List of flavors as follows:

2000 SP4 = EN-US

XP RTM = EN-US

XP SP1 = EN-US

XP SP2 = EN-US|AR|CN|TW|CS|DA|NL|FI|FR|DE|EL|HE|HU|IT|JA|KO|NO|PL|PT-BR|PT|RU|ES|SV|TR

2003 RTM = EN-US

2003 SP1 = EN-US

ME = EN-US

98 = EN-US

XP x64 = EN-US

2003 x64 = EN-US

kb899588 shows up again at this very moment in the catalog (language = NL)

No problem here... (also NL)

What do you mean? Does it show up at yours or do you mean it don't matter. I could not find any information whether this hotfix would be superseded.