HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

BTW, I end up saving 50Mb of space on my CD if I let go the /integrate: method. B)

Because the integration method is adding/replacing some files in the I386 folder. I saved about 35Mb starting over with a genuine I386 folder and only installing with svcpack.inf

*** EDIT: HERE IS MY SVCPACK.INF ***

Incroyable....

Was this only the beginning of your SVCPACK.INF file? Did you cut the catalog part off?

I'm asking because until now, I was using the Integrate function, but I agree with you that it would be much easier to retire hotfixes by editing that file rather than re-doing the integrate each month from a virgin installation. So I'm interested in trying that out.

But in my current svcpack.inf file, at the bottom, it also shows a whole list of "ProductCatalogsToInstall".

Are they just not needed, or should I leave it alone?

Thanks,

David

Incroyable....

Was this only the beginning of your SVCPACK.INF file? Did you cut the catalog part off?

I'm asking because until now, I was using the Integrate function, but I agree with you that it would be much easier to retire hotfixes by editing that file rather than re-doing the integrate each month from a virgin installation. So I'm interested in trying that out.

But in my current svcpack.inf file, at the bottom, it also shows a whole list of "ProductCatalogsToInstall".

Are they just not needed, or should I leave it alone?

Thanks,

David

Yes, I removed the Catalog files because you don't get them unless you use the /integrate: function... so this is just like the old times before this switch existed!

Yes, I removed the Catalog files because you don't get them unless you use the /integrate: function... so this is just like the old times before this switch existed!

OK, but you can also get them from expanding the hotfixes with the /X option.

I guess the only question though is what benefit do you get from the catalog files?

I thought it had something to do with the file protection, but maybe I have more reading to do.

Even this link from Microsoft (although it was written for 2000) shows instructions for creating the svcpack.ini file and says to expand the files and include the catalogs, but doesn't say much about what they do. http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downl...P4/HFDeploy.htm

OK, I just found more information at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q282784/

This is really about the qfecheck program, but it does say something about how one problem that qfecheck looks for is files that are out of date or the wrong version when compared to the catalog files. It says

"For each file that is installed by a hotfix, Qfecheck checks to see that the current catalogs on the computer contain the information that would be used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to validate the file. If a file is valid according to the hotfix information in the registry, but the installed catalogs do not concur, Qfecheck reports an error."

So now I guess the question becomes this... is it just convenient to leave out the catalogs, or is it more proper to include them? What are the pros/cons of doing it either way?

Thanks for the feedback...

Oh and anyone can chime in on this... I'm not trying to make it sound like I'm picking on Incroyable. In fact, while I'm here I'd like to thank Incroyable for all the work you have done.

David

OK, I just found more information at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q282784/

This is really about the qfecheck program, but it does say something about how one problem that qfecheck looks for is files that are out of date or the wrong version when compared to the catalog files. It says

"For each file that is installed by a hotfix, Qfecheck checks to see that the current catalogs on the computer contain the information that would be used by Windows File Protection (WFP) to validate the file. If a file is valid according to the hotfix information in the registry, but the installed catalogs do not concur, Qfecheck reports an error."

Hum... interesting. All I can say is that I used this method (without any .cat file) for over a year with Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP1. I never noticed anything going wrong with that but I'd like to get the feedback from other members as well...

@Incroyable HULK:

You can add these hotfixes in non-critical section ...

(Found by HFChkNet Protect)

* KB893357-v2, Allow to use WPA2 (wifi security mode) in Windows XP.

* KB906569-v2, New MSConfig, with a new tab "Utils" (to launch certain .cpl and more).

* KB889527-v3, Fix a bug in Windows Firewall when ICMP is authorized and keep blocked.

After integrating the latest list with nLite and trying it out in Virtual PC, Windows Update found these two missing:

WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-enu.exe

Windows-KB890830-V1.10-ENU.exe

The first one should be able to integrate. I guess the other one (Malicious software removal) is to be run after the install is done?

After integrating the latest list with nLite and trying it out in Virtual PC, Windows Update found these two missing:

WindowsXP-KB887472-x86-enu.exe

Windows-KB890830-V1.10-ENU.exe

The first one should be able to integrate. I guess the other one (Malicious software removal) is to be run after the install is done?

Read carefully on the first page.

KB887472 is for MSN Messenger v4.7 or v5 so IF you have a higher version OR you have disabled the installation in your WINNT.SIF, you don't need this update

KB890830 use only the /q switche (add manually to SVCPACK.INF, you cannot integrate) OR you can add a key to the registry to bypass this check (the key is changing on every release...)

Edited by Incroyable HULK

• 2 weeks later...
MS05-031: Vulnerability in step-by-step interactive training could allow remote code execution

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898458

What is step-by-step interactive training? It's a -> accessories -> tour windows xp?

It's a very important vulnerability.

On ms site no informaion found.

They're seperate products you can purchase. They don't come with Windows or any other MS software.

I suggest you read the security bulletin for a thorough description of what's affected. It has an FAQ and everything ;)

Edited by RyanVM

RyanVM

Yes, you right. I have trouble with determine necessity this update, because I can't find info about SBSI by

some cause yesterday. :blushing: I find it by execute request "Microsoft Press title" in microsoft search

system, and select in result Book List (http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/5207.asp).

"They're seperate products you can purchase. They don't come with Windows or any other MS software."

In FAQ in MS05-031 talks that the Step-by-Step Interactive Training software is preinstalled by many

computer manufacturers, and wide spread. I can't find affected files on my system, but it can present on

others. Anyway thank you, now for me it's clear. :thumbup

Edited by m1m1m1m101

NON-CRITICAL

KB885932 (Not stable) -> Internet Explorer stops responding or crashes, and you receive

an access violation in Vgx.dll, when you view a Web page in Internet Explorer 6.0

Download -> 641 KB (September 2, 2004)

Switches: KB885932 /quiet /norestart /n

Incroyable HULK

Add this at first page please.

Edited by m1m1m1m101