HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N 
;(HALT BOX)
;import this registry setting instead:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

any ideas to bypass this error message or would it be best to update this hotfix after complete install as say a runOnceEx.cmd install.

running out of ideas

You don't do both, either you install thru SVCPACK.inf or not install and use the registry patch to make it appear as it is installed.

add this to svcpack.inf

KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)

or this to your registry tweaks

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

But you don't need to do both. It won't hurt as installing will automatically add the registry entry.

KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N

don't put the (HALT BOX) in there! But the installation will halt until you click OK.

Otherwise, you have to build a re-packaged version of this hotfixe or use the regtweak...

P.S. Railman5 has been told this information already and he keep asking for it. Use the search function, that's all you need.

OK thanks for clearing up that little misunderstanding.

Now.....

My Slipstream CD works great up to where it starts “Registering Components”, then about half way through it asks which directory it wants to extract the update exe files to (suggests C:/WINNT) then tells you its extracted the file. See attached image.

Also I have comments on the following update exe files which I have taken from the properties of the exe file~

PART QUOTE.....

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB819696.exe /Q:A /R:N

# This is a DirectX Component Update

"KB832483.exe /C:""dahotfix.exe /q /n"" /q:a"

# Is this hotfix installed correctly grammatically. I have seen various ways this is written.

KB885492.exe /passive /norestart /quiet

KB891861.exe /passive /norestart /quiet

#These are hotfix packages. Could these be the exe files which asks which folder to extract to?????

Q832483.exe /Q:A /R:N

# This wants to restart the computer.How co I prevent this?

All the remaining exe files are either:~ Self-Extracting Cabinet, Update Package, Security Update Package’s.

Help anyone?

'Cos I'm almost there with a near full unattend image.

:yes:

post-57509-1121691971_thumb.png

post-57509-1121691982_thumb.png

hi all, we can hide updates in WindowsUpdate.com/WindowsUpdateAgent but how hide not manually ? The information is registered in the registry? if yes where ?? I'm unable to find it ...

Thank you very much if you have a solution !

I hate the Windows Messenger update whereas it isn't installed on the machine (in Add/remove components ...)

It's a reg key you can find (or add) in any installed product.

You will find it there :

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{015B7370-B181-497F-BE0A-E154CD8C0B64}]

"SystemComponent"=dword:00000001

The GUID correspond to your product.

The DWORD key SystemComponent hides the entry of the product in ADD/Remove programs when set to 1.

Voilà ;)

PS: This modification works whith all the products listed under

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall]

not only those defined by a GUID.

KBs or nLite for example.

Edited by semouton

It seems that I completely misunderstood the question :blushing:

Too much work... :whistle:

I'll go buy some new eyes...

Of course this Reg tweaks has nothing to do with Windows Update, only with installed products.

I have seen your mistake ... ("comme des fois je pige pas tout l'anglais ;) ")

Anyone has a solution for hide Windows Messenger form WindowsUpdate ?

After several tests, it appears WU detect directly if folder/file (of WM) are present ... But in Add/Remove components, Windows Messenger isn't checked ... argh ... WM is superseeded by MSNMessenger I think ...

++

But in Add/Remove components, Windows Messenger isn't checked ...

By default, Windows Messenger, like Windows Media Player and IE, cannot be removed via Add/Remove Windows Components. The checkboxes for these applications only indicate whether or not the visible access points (read: shortcuts) are present. If you want to remove Windows Messenger you must first make it visible in Add/Remove Windows components. I'm sure someone here can point you in the right direction to do that, if needed. I would, but it is very late (early) and I'm too tired to figure it out again right now.

Hope this helps.

I've found on Microsoft's website a tool that will come very handy for all admins who want to create a cd with all the most recent security hotfixes, but EVEN WITH NON-ENGLISH VERSIONS.

This tools is named Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) and can be downloaded freely. Use this link.

The principle is simple... Use your "base" xp install on a virtual machine, install MBSA on the VM, run it, and it will download the list of security hotfixes from microsoft, and determine which are suitable for you.

After that, it will display a list of hotfixes. And if you click the links, it will lead you to a page explaining the implications of the security issue, and give you a link to the hotfix download. A link for each windows version affected. On the next page, change the language version according to your windows version, and download.

I did all this on a non-virtual machine and downloaded 15 hotfixes for my (french) SP2 xp install.

To apply them automatically, i ran this command for all of the downloaded updates

WindowsXP-KB903235-x86-FRA.exe "/integrate:d:\long path\XP SP2"

and all of them worked.

This was one of the stones i add to this thread. Hope this will help some people!

Note: I actually used version 1.2.1 of MBSA, whereas latest version of the tool is 2.0. I didn't test latest version, but i trust microsoft to make it better than the previous one...