HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

There is a new non-critical hotfix...

KB896344(v2)

You cannot transfer files and settings from a computer that is running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP to a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

1.26MB

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.as...isplayLang%3den

I don't know..because it is in Optional software updates of Windows Update v6

Yep, thanks for the notification

There's a typo:

*** NEW ***

KB898461 -› Installs a permanent copy of the Package Installer for Windows version 6.1.22.4

Download -› 477 KB (June 27, 2005)

Switches: KB896428.exe /q /n /z

Should be KB989461.exe /q /n /z

Minor but it'll keep popping up for those who just cut and paste blindly.  LOL

Microsoft Windows 2000 Sp4 Rollup Update 1

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

I had to play around to make it work with my svcpack.inf... sufficient to say it should be installed at last otherwise it will still show up on Windows Update.

svcpack.inf

[CatalogHeader]

[Version]
BuildNumber=2195
MinorVersion=0
MajorVersion=5
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
ie6setup.exe /Q:A /R:N
setup_wm.exe /Q:A /R:N
KB329115.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB828026.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
"KB832483.exe /C:""dahotfix.exe /q /n"" /q:a"
KB833989.exe /Q:A /R:N
KB842773.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N
KB883939.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB890046.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB893803.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB894320.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB896358.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB896422.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
KB897715.exe /passive /norestart /quiet
Update Rollup 1.exe /passive /norestart /quiet

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
sp5.cat

KB814078 is still required but should be installed later (after a reboot) with RunOnceEx or a batch file...

As you can see, there is still a lot of hotfixes required :}

Edited by Incroyable HULK

You'd think if they rollup all the hotfixes; they would rollup ALL the hotfixes. After I slipstreamed the rollup package. I still find that the majority (if not all) of the June critical updates, and some "optional components" still need to be installed. This is really disappointing. I'm sure SP5 will come along when MS caves from demand, or at least a Rollup 2. :}

You'd think if they rollup all the hotfixes; they would rollup ALL the hotfixes. After I slipstreamed the rollup package. I still find that the majority (if not all) of the June critical updates, and some "optional components" still need to be installed. This is really disappointing. I'm sure SP5 will come along when MS caves from demand, or at least a Rollup 2.  :}

You'd think if they release a rollup, users would read ALL the documentation. Or heck, even the summary. Right there at the very top of the page Microsoft explains exactly what this rollup contains, and why:

This update rollup contains a list of security-related updates produced for Windows 2000 between the release of Windows 2000 SP4 and April 30, 2005. April 30, 2005 is the date when the contents for Update Rollup 1 were locked down for final testing by Microsoft, external beta testing sites, and customer sites.

Software engineering is an extremely complex process, and it's highly unlikely Microsoft will "cave" to "demand" because there just isn't any. Companies have spoken: they're not interested in distributing another service pack. No SP5 will be released, and an Rollup 2 isn't on the horizon either. Look at the history of NT4, it's about to repeat.

Hey there's no need for aggression. I am not a MS hater or anything. I'm just saying that it would be nice if a rollup (as advertised) puts ALL and not some of the previous updates. I'm really not sure of the NT4 story but it did go to SP6A. Furthermore many corporations and small businesses continue to run W2K and are still not exercising the XP option. There are still businesses that use 98SE. (Silly but true.) In the case of 98 MS CAVED IN to EXTEND support AFTER its extended support expire date so that users would not defect to Linux. Finally, I am a network administrator and governance board member at Colgate Palmolive, and I KNOW that corporations want another service pack. Now if you really believe everything MS says on their website then you can really believe anything.

Incroyable HULK,

Thanks for the post of your srvpack.inf - very informative. However, I was wondering... did you /integrate KB891861 (Update Rollup 1) into your source? or, did you just manually create the srvpack.inf and leave the Windows 2000 I386 directory SP4 standard?

Incroyable HULK,

Thanks for the post of your srvpack.inf - very informative. However, I was wondering... did you /integrate KB891861 (Update Rollup 1) into your source? or, did you just manually create the srvpack.inf and leave the Windows 2000 I386 directory SP4 standard?

Yes, I integrated the Update Rolloup 1 in my I386 folder... afterward, I changed the switch to /passive /norestart /quiet and I moved the update to the bottom of the list also. The original switch were /q /n /z and I guess I could but them back now...

no easier way to get all the updates apart from these manual methods?

I cant do windows catalog as pc fully patched so it shows me nothing.

I spose i could just format my spare pc and use windows catalog then, that work?

Edited by Fx2050

Incroyable HULK,

How do you prevent the GDI+ detection popup box in Windows 2000 unattended install?

When I insert the (HALT BOX) tag and the registry addition for it like I did for my Windows XP unattended, it doesn't even install it.

Hi, All!

I've got a few questions regarding the list of SP2 hotfixes published in the very first post.

1. The count is off. There are 24 hotfixes listed, not 23.

2. Why is KB833987 (KB873374) listed there? It's technically not a SP2 hotfix. XP SP2 is not directly affected by GDI+ vulnerabilty.

3. Why is KB890175 listed? It has been replaced with KB896358 (see the FAQ section)

Thus, IMHO, the correct count is 22. Thanks.

Corrected the KB numbers confusion.

Edited by VAD

2. Why is KB833987 listed there? It's technically not a SP2 hotfix. XP SP2 is not directly affected by GDI+ vulnerabilty.

3. Why is KB890175 listed? It has been replaced with KB896358 (see the FAQ section)...

on my computer 833987

is listed under

NO LONGER SUPPORTED!!! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MS WINDOWS XP PRO SP1 - (30)

890175 ?