HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

Using the current, (critical), list on the first page for Windows XP Pro SP2, (with only WMP10 integrated), I am asked to update

• KB887472 - Security Update for Windows Messenger

First of all, will adding MSN 7, as stated on the fist page, negate this update?

Also is there any way to add the required software, (activex control), so that I don't need to download anything first, before using the Windows Update site.

Also is there any way to add the required software, (activex control), so that I don't need to download anything first, before using the Windows Update site.

Ryan's update pack incorporates the latest Windows Update software, I believe, so there must be some way of doing it.

Sorry I can't provide more specific instructions. Maybe if you ask nicely Ryan will be kind enough to share his secret.

I did with the directions in Windows Update Security Warning. Also add the 13 .cat to svcpack for completeness.

I can tell you from my own personal testing that adding those CAT files is a waste of time.

Hello guys

i am a newbie

a question

on the Windows site there are 3 critical updates..but you do not have them on your site as a download.These updates are

Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)

maybe i missunderstood something...could please help me out

thanks forward :yes:

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - May 2005 (KB890830)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB885250)

are there in the first post .
Security Update for Windows Messenger (KB887472)
probably , Messenger 7 has no need for it

(Messenger in my uA CD is off)

The first post should still have the Windows Messenger update on it.

It shouldn't be dependent upon installing a new application, (MSN Messenger), as this is not a default XP CD application.

If on the other hand Windows Messenger 5.1.0680, was used as the yard stick that would be more understandable, that being a default application from the XP CD.

Does anyone know if the update is required in that scenario, due to the fact that Windows Messenger 5.1.0680 is new, also can this version be integrated into the CD!

The first post should still have the Windows Messenger update on it.

It shouldn't be dependent upon installing a new application, (MSN Messenger), as this is not a default XP CD application.

If on the other hand Windows Messenger 5.1.0680, was used as the yard stick that would be more understandable, that being a default application from the XP CD.

Does anyone know if the update is required in that scenario, due to the fact that Windows Messenger 5.1.0680 is new, also can this version be integrated into the CD!

Windows Messenger 5.x adds new files to the CD which weren't in 4.7. I suppose it'd be possible to slipstream it in, but it wouldn't be as simple as just overwriting some files.

A new Non-Critical XP SP2 Update:

KB896344 You cannot transfer files and settings from a computer that is running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP to a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Download -› 1299 KB (April 14, 2005)

Switches: KB896344.exe /q /n /z

A new Non-Critical XP SP2 Update:

KB896344 You cannot transfer files and settings from a computer that is running a 32-bit edition of Windows XP to a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition.

Download -› 1299 KB (April 14, 2005)

Switches: KB896344.exe /q /n /z

This update is only for English and Japenese Windows XP-SP2 ? Or other languages will come later ?