HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

While downloading all of the patches mentioned in the original posting in this thread just now (for Windows XP Pro SP2) I noticed a few things:

- KB893803: gives an error message that the article is not available: "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, you might try the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page.".

Of course searching for the download doesn't help :no:. So maybe it has been withdrawn?

- KB890830: in the original posting v1.3 is mentioned, the version currently available from Microsoft is v1.4.

- KB885626: no version is mentioned in this thread but when you download it it has "v2" in the filename: "WindowsXP-KB885626-v2-x86-enu.exe". Maybe this means the file has changed or maybe the version (or filename) could be mentioned in the original posting to avoid confusion.

I double checked at it looks like KB893803 -› Windows Installer 3.1 is available isn't listed as a critical update anymore...

Unless someone has information regarding this update, I will remove it from the listing.

The only "new" update is the software removal tool KB890830 (may edition)

I'll run the Win2000 simulation now...

I also noticed Microsoft removed Windows Installer 3.1 from it's download site, Windows Update and that it's no longer available through SUS.

After some searching I came accross KB894199, which states:

Tuesday, May 3, 2005

Content removal

- 893803 Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; the original release version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003; the original release version of Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Datacenter Edition; Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1; Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2

The Windows Installer 3.1 update has been removed because of unexpected compatibility issues with specific software applications. For more information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

898628 Windows Installer fails silently after you upgrade to Windows Installer 3.1

Hi All,

I had V1.3 installed and all was well until sunday when it appeared via windows update again, i did load a reg tweak to stop the prompts but i have lost the detail, could you please advise the install switches and the current Reg key?

KB890830 (removal tool) may edition