HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

Great idea with this thread, Incroyable Hulk :thumbup!

Just started browsing the msfn forums for info on making unattended/updated/etc. windows CD's, and this is the perfect thread for XP (and 2k, of course).

Anyways, testing things out, I saw that KB887472 has been mentioned a couple of times, but was passed over for the list because it isn't supposed to come up with a clean install of XP. My CD is using a clean install, and that KB comes up as a critical update (the only one) on windows updates.

I only have whatever windows messenger is provided with XP with SP2 slipstreamed, but maybe by "clean" you mean with messenger removed (a la nLite)? Could also be possible that the scope of the update has been increased recently.

In the case that it is one for the list, here it is in your format:

KB887472 -› Vulnerability in PNG Processing Could Allow Remote Code Execution

XP SP2: Download -› 1056 KB (February 7, 2005)

XP SP1: Download -› 1047 KB (February 8, 2005)

Thank you KrytenAG,

This update is not necessary if you are installing the latest build of MSN Messenger 6.2 (.0205) and I beleive that most of the people around here are doing that.

The thing I didn't know is that even with Messenger 4.7 the update is showing... so I guess I'll update the first page to tell that Messenger 6.2.0205 is installed just like Windows Media Player 10.

KB887472 -› Vulnerability in PNG Processing Could Allow Remote Code Execution

XP SP2: Download -› 1056 KB (February 7, 2005)

XP SP1: Download -› 1047 KB (February 8, 2005)

There is actually an update for Messenger 6.2 too.

KB890261 -> Vulnerability in PNG Processing Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Download-> 1081 KB - 843264 KB (February 8, 2005)

(Both 890261 and 887472 point to the same Security Bulletin: MS05-09)

The fix is actually a new SetupDL.exe and is language specific, hence the different sizes.

Easy Direct link -> cut and paste this link and replace the 2 letter langauge code (EN) with your own ie DE, ES, FI, FR, IT, NL, KO - see the download page for more.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/8....SetupDL.exe

@RyanVM

How do you get all of your hotfix for Windows XP SP2?

I saw your website and Microsoft KB,

In Microsoft KB, obtaining some hotfix need to be contacted with Microsoft.

Did you contact Microsoft?

If no, how?

Also KB890261 is reported as needing to be installed Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer when MSN Messenger is not even installed.

I do not want to install MSN Messenger 6.2 just to get the hot fix.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Will

KB873374 -› Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool

Download -› 216 KB (September 21, 2004)

Switches: KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)

import this registry setting instead:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

How do I do the above?

Does

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

fit into here somehow (code below)?

;Windows XP
[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600
[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\SVCPACK"
[ProductCatalogsToInstall]
[SetupHotfixesToRun]
MP10Setup.exe
KB867282.exe /q /n /z
KB873333.exe /q /n /z
KB873339.exe /q /n /z
KB885250.exe /q /n /z
KB885626.exe /q /n /z
KB885835.exe /q /n /z
KB885836.exe /q /n /z
KB886185.exe /q /n /z
KB887742.exe /q /n /z
KB888113.exe /q /n /z
KB888302.exe /q /n /z
KB890047.exe /q /n /z
KB890175.exe /q /n /z
KB890830.exe /q
KB891781.exe /q /n /z
qchain.exe

Yeah, I have seen your webpage in your forum, I am so curious..

I don't have any problems that is described in Microsoft KB, but I want to get all hotfix that the list is described in your website, so how?

I use Traditional Chinese version for Windows XP SP2 and I don't want to contact Microsoft. because phoning Microsoft is so expensive. However, I am hearing loss.

Possibly a stoopid (or already asked) question, but...

Why is the list of patches in reverse chronological order? I'd love to simply copy and paste the contents of the first post into my svcpack.inf, but aren't you supposed to apply them in chronological order? If so, you have to shuffle the entire list around from top to bottom in order to get them in the right order.

Hopefully, I'm wrong, the existing list works great, and nobody needs to change a thing... but I don't think so...

- John

@Joffer

The answer to your question can already be found in this thread (in the 4th post, actually). The batch file doesn't have to be run from cmdlines.txt if you're not using it - you can run it from svcpack.inf instead.

@straffin

Heh. Yes, it is in reverse order (numerical, not chronological, though they're basically the same). I imagine that's just the way things went as items were added.

@Joffer

The answer to your question can already be found in this thread (in the 4th post, actually).  The batch file doesn't have to be run from cmdlines.txt if you're not using it - you can run it from svcpack.inf instead.

Man, I have to be blind for sure :unsure:

Is it recommended just to add the reg line instead of installing the software? What happenes if i add the software kbxxx.exe to my svcpack.inf

KB873374.exe /Q:A /R:N (HALT BOX)