HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

@tdk90

Welcome to MSFN forum.

I hightly suggest you to have a try with 2KCreate which can help you to build a 2K source CD with all hotfixes already "slipstreamed" or Integrated in the install.

If you're using SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition or MSDE, you can add MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh.

The MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh release is also included in the Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3a release.
MSXML 4.0 SP2 does not replace MSXML 3.0 because some obsolete and non-conformant features are no longer supported. You may run MSXML 4.0 and MSXML 3.0 and earlier versions concurrently.

Nethertheless:

IE6SP1: Latest version of Internet Explorer for Windows 2000.

includes MSXML Parser 3.0 which is 100% compatible with the official W3C XSLT Recommendation. Service Pack 3 (SP3) version

The Microsoft® XML Parser (MSXML) 3.0 SP5 release offers a number of security fixes and bug fixes over the previous MSXML 3.0 SP releases.

Windows 2K Security updates for use with 2KCreate (XPCreate)

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (823353)

Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6 Service Pack 1 (KB887797)

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (889293) / for Corporations (889669)

keep both OE updates and only corporate IE update

Thx for the welcome and info Bilou_Gateux.

One other question I have is, in the list of hotfixes I am going to be installing have any been replaced out of that list. It's kind of complicated to check which are replaced and which arn't.

Also I have been looking into creating a Deployment CD for Win2k, but I just gave up and decided to download everything I need to a seperate partition and just install it once the OS is installed, heh. Although I do have SP4 slipstreamed only because that was a bit easier :D

But I migh have another crack at it with 2KCREATE.

keep both OE updates and only corporate IE update

In fact...I think KB823353 is required to be installed before applying KB887797!

look here

@ Incroyable HULK:

So you're saying that...

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB885835.exe /q /o /n /z
KB886185.exe /q /o /n /z
KB887797.exe /q /o /n /z

for instance whouldn't work?

Interesting, I just ran a normal test install in VirtualPC with my usual winnt.sif (with Hyperterminal not installed) and qfecheck still reports 873339 as being installed properly. Mind you, there's not a trace of hypertrm.dll on the system.

Weird but convenient at the same time :P

(And for those of you who didn't notice, 1.0.4 of my pack is out)

I have these that aren't included on the list. Sorry if they were excluded for some reason.

You receive a "Stop: c0000135" and "winsrv was not found" error message after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

Computer stops responding when you try to install an update in Windows XP Service Pack 2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885894

Internet Explorer stops responding or crashes, and you receive an access violation in Vgx.dll, when you view a Web page in Internet Explorer 6.0

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885932

An "E_NOINTERFACE" error occurs when you call the get_CurrentPosition() method in the Windows Media Player 10 ActiveX control

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/889858

All of them pertain to XP SP2 and maybe others.

That is strange, I have been checking your site regularly and it still shows version 1.03 only. In fact I just checked again before making this post.

PS: I changed the '.03' to '.04' in the link "hxxp://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/files/RVMUpdatePack1.03Full.cab" and was able to download the file.

I have so far been integrating the hotfixes manually and I have also installing .net framework, media player 10, and media connect via SVCPACK. My question is if were to start using RyanVM's full pack then how do I install '.net framework, media player 10 & media connect" to my unattended CD via SVCPACK?

That is strange, I have been checking your site regularly and it still shows version 1.03 only. In fact I just checked again before making this post.

PS: I changed the '.03' to '.04' in the link "hxxp://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/files/RVMUpdatePack1.03Full.cab" and was able to download the file.

My bet is you've got a cached copy either on your end or from your ISP. There are ways to force a reload, but I don't remember them off the top of my head (I think it may be Ctrl+Reload)

here's something bothers me ...

if we use the switches /q /n /z for the latest XP SP2 hotfixes, it should run them silent, no reboot, and no backup.

i tried running all the latest 4 hotfixes 1-by-1 using /q /n /z ... all executed silently --=> but way too silent until i'm not sure if it's finished or still running before executing another hotfix :)

so, i checked the Task Manager to examine whether the hotfix still being processed .... what i found out that the hotfixes STILL loaded in the memory ...

then i removed the switch /q to let it shows the dialog box ... as usual, it executed normal ... and no processes running at the background ...

so, i'm curious of why when running hotfixes in silent (/q) mode forces it to be loaded in the memory until the next restart/reboot?

My bet is you've got a cached copy either on your end or from your ISP.  There are ways to force a reload, but I don't remember them off the top of my head (I think it may be Ctrl+Reload)

Now I see the updated page, although I can't figure out what the problem might have been, because I did nothing to fix it. I just went to the page today and the updated info was there and this is without me doing a forced reload. As for simply refreshing the page I had tried that unsuccessfully several times before.

By the way the key combinations for 'Refresh' and 'Forced reload' are:

Ctrl+F5 = Forced Reload

Ctrl+R = Simple Refresh