HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

Well, at least we were right about KB873377 and KB834707 not appearing anymore. My bet is KB889293 is still showing up simply due to how new KB889669 is. Give it a few days (or more realistically, a few weeks knowing how fast Microsoft works :P).

And I don't suppose there's any other war59312's out there with access to the full post-SP2 hotfix library? There appears to be some juicy updates in there (like a memory leak in uxtheme.dll, a fix for ntoskrnl.exe, and some others) which aren't available without contacting MS.

To add in the First Page for Windows XP SP2 (others are OK, I have the same):

KB885523

=> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Critical Update: (This update resolves a compatibility issue with a non-Microsoft software application installed on your computer. This application prevents successful installation of Windows XP Service Packs, critical security updates and other system file updates. This update should be applied to your system to enable safe installation of these updates now and in the future)

KB885894

=> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

This update helps resolve an issue where Windows Installer running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 stops responding when you install an update.

Only For EN-US WinXP-SP2 (IE6-SP2 fix): KB885932, KB888240

:hello:

:no:

Help

I am trying to create an unassisted install CD for Windows 2000 SP4. By searching the forums I learned how to slipstream the Service Pack into the install. I also learned how to integrate the IE 6, Media Player, DirectX and Java VM. I am trying to incorperate the Post SP Hotfixes into the install so I do not have to spend the next hour using windows updates. Does anyone know of any utilities like Ryan's utility that will work with Windows 2000. I have tried; Microsoft's way, XPCreate and am not able to integrate the hotfixes. I tried the LE version of WinINstall but it wont work with the hotfixes unless I use the full version. I even email'd Ryan to see if he had any ideas. He suggested I search the MSFN and I have tried everything I could find. I would appreciate any help.

:huh:

Your best bet is to use the tried and true batch file or svcpack.inf method.

http://unattended.msfn.org/xp/installhotfixes_old.htm

(yes, the procedure for Win2K should be the same as WinXP)

And there's no reason someone couldn't make a Win2K post-SP4 update pack like I made for XP SP2, I just don't have the motivation to do so. (Though maybe over Christmas break in a few weeks if I'm feeling REALLY bored). The bigger issue is that Win2K SP4 doesn't have a lot of newer components integrated into it (like IE6 SP1), so you wouldn't be able to integrate all the hotfixes without a fair amount of hackery.

If I could get some info about how you made the pack I would be more than willing to make one for Post SP4.  Did you use WinInstall?

Basically, all my update pack is is cabbed files and an INF with the registry entries normally created by the hotfix installer. If you wanted to make a Win2K pack, I'd say to just follow the template of the SP2 pack's INF.

@notaustin and RyanVM

I'm interested to collaborate to the creation of such a pack for Windows 2000 SP4 to use with these others two methods:

Currently, i create a 2KCreate CD with Service Pack 4 and Internet Explorer 6 SP1 slipstreamed + IE6/OE6/VGX updates + all hotFixes type 1 and need to create a pack to install MSXML3 SP5, Windows Script 5.6 and set various HotFixes infos in registry (basically the infos from the slipstreamed IE6/OE6/VGX updates & GDI+ detection Tool & ADODB.stream Object).

Maybe can we start a new thread to share our knowledge.

@Bilou_Gateux, I have inf files to accomplish the registry fixes in W2K. To integrate the msxml, add the dll to the txtsetup.sif and the other 2 files to locate the file into the system32 folder. Once installation is complete, register the dll. Have you had success with integrating directx9? BTW, the update pack for w2k will be around 100meg. Let me know if I can help out too.

I haven't tried to integrate DirectX 9c for one reason.

My graphics card support only DirectX 8.1b which is only needed for DVD playback (i'm not a gamer :rolleyes: )

and i haven't start the to integrate DirectX 8.1b to my install (to busy :} ) although i would like to do that.

Some other recommended updates i don't add because i really don't need them :

.NET Framework (don't use it except for playing with nLite)

Journal viewer (i haven't got a tabletPC)

Windows Media Player 9 (use other players)

MDAC (only used when i need to install MSDE2000)

Basically, all my update pack is is cabbed files and an INF with the registry entries normally created by the hotfix installer. If you wanted to make a Win2K pack, I'd say to just follow the template of the SP2 pack's INF.

I was not able to fine a template on your site. The closest I found was how to manually install the XP SP2 Post Hotfixes. Could you post a link to your template or send me a message with the template. If it is the manual installation instructions how do use the steps to make a Windows 2000 SP4 Hotfix pack?

Forgive me if I offend you but I have only been working on this project for about 6 weeks and do not fully understand your steps from looking at the manuall instructions. I am not asking you to create the pack. I am just asking for the steps you used to create yours because it works so awesome.

I was not able to fine a template on your site. The closest I found was how to manually install the XP SP2 Post Hotfixes. Could you post a link to your template or send me a message with the template. If it is the manual installation instructions how do use the steps to make a Windows 2000 SP4 Hotfix pack?

Forgive me if I offend you but I have only been working on this project for about 6 weeks and do not fully understand your steps from looking at the manuall instructions. I am not asking you to create the pack. I am just asking for the steps you used to create yours because it works so awesome.

Use the INF as a template.

EDIT: Let's take the off-topic discussion elsewhere, guys.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Would that be the "DOSNET.INF" or the "SYSOC.INF".  If it is the SYSOC.inf file, Which one should I use.  The one for Home or Pro?  What is a good tool to create a CAB file?

First off - I repeat, take the discussion to a new thread.

Second - neither. RVMUpPck.inf is the main one.