HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

KB883523 will be in my next release :D

Cool... I really dont need that patch myself.. Buy, I wish microsoft would stop being so secretive/protective of their non-official (or whatever you want to call them) hot fixes. Like the one that is still not on windows update but was luckily a big enough problem for people to notice and thus be posted all over the net. By "the one" i mean the one that updated tcpip.sys to solve the VPN client connection problems.

KB883523 will be in my next release :D

Cool... I really dont need that patch myself.. Buy, I wish microsoft would stop being so secretive/protective of their non-official (or whatever you want to call them) hot fixes. Like the one that is still not on windows update but was luckily a big enough problem for people to notice and thus be posted all over the net. By "the one" i mean the one that updated tcpip.sys to solve the VPN client connection problems.

well, it's not on WU simply because it doesn't fix any SECURITY flaws. It's a programmatic flaw. If you look at all the updates that Microsoft has in SP2, you won't find a good majority of them on WU. Alot of them were just workarounds for something to work, same is the case with the TCPIP.SYS patch. It's not security, and thus not EVERYONE needs it, so it's NOT on WU.

Pretty clear logic ot me. If you have the problem, you should hopefully know what ot search for to resolve said problem.

I just wish there weren't so many SP2 patches... lol. But that's Microsoft for ya. Fix one thing, break 4 others.

How come on the first page, there are only two updates for SP2? I thought Microsoft released more patches than that after SP2?

There are more, the starter just hasn't gotten around to adding them yet.

(kind of ironic given why this thread was started :rolleyes:)

How come on the first page, there are only two updates for SP2? I thought Microsoft released more patches than that after SP2?

There are more, the starter just hasn't gotten around to adding them yet.

(kind of ironic given why this thread was started :rolleyes:)

lol, have you consider doing it yourself?

well, it's not on WU simply because it doesn't fix any SECURITY flaws. It's a programmatic flaw. If you look at all the updates that Microsoft has in SP2, you won't find a good majority of them on WU. Alot of them were just workarounds for something to work, same is the case with the TCPIP.SYS patch. It's not security, and thus not EVERYONE needs it, so it's NOT on WU.

Pretty clear logic ot me. If you have the problem, you should hopefully know what ot search for to resolve said problem.

I just wish there weren't so many SP2 patches... lol. But that's Microsoft for ya. Fix one thing, break 4 others.

True.. sorta..

TCPIP.SYS update to resolve VPN problem was a security risk to me, it prevented a customer of mine from usign their vpn all together.

Update for Highmat CD burning support is on windows update though.. I dont see that as a security risk? :lol:

Still, I would like to see their no public released updates a little more aceessable. Heck, even finding the tech article for one can be a chore to begin with. Then I have to call them and get a password to download the bugger.. :no:

Let me say it again:

My method to get the list of hotfixes is under simulation with a flat installation for the 3 OS. I go to Windows Update and get the list of update from there. If Microsoft themself are not giving an accurate update list, I wonder who can...

Anyway, the goal is always the same: get all the critical updates integrated into our unattended project. I think my method is the fastest and easy for me to maintain.

Today, for Windows XP SP2, there is only KB834707 listed as a critical update. I added the KB885626 patche because it will appear as a critical update for people having a Prescott D-0 Core CPU.

That's it!

If you feel like there should be a non-critical list of post-SP2 updates, I can add them to the bottom of my list and give the credit to the writer... please use a similar format to my post.

Not a chance. First off, no time. Second, I don't care about other OSes other than XP SP2. Sorry, I just don't.

Let me say it again:

My method to get the list of hotfixes is under simulation with a flat installation for the 3 OS. I go to Windows Update and get the list of update from there. If Microsoft themself are not giving an accurate update list, I wonder who can... 

Anyway, the goal is always the same: get all the critical updates integrated into our unattended project. I think my method is the fastest and easy for me to maintain.

Today, for Windows XP SP2, there is only KB834707 listed as a critical update. I added the KB885626 patche because it will appear as a critical update for people having a Prescott D-0 Core CPU.

That's it!

If you feel like there should be a non-critical list of post-SP2 updates, I can add them to the bottom of my list and give the credit to the writer... please use a similar format to my post.

Fair enough, just giving you a hard time :)

Not a chance. First off, no time. Second, I don't care about other OSes other than XP SP2. Sorry, I just don't.

Let me say it again:

That's it!

Fair enough, just giving you a hard time :)

me too, I only care about XP SP2