HOTFIXES: Windows XP SP2 & Windows 2000 SP4

@vcBlackBox

A few remarks on your 2000SP4 list.

1 - KB834707 can be replaced by KB873377 with success.

Update rollup 873377 includes the cumulative security fixes in MS04-038 as well as hotfixes released since MS04-004.

See KB

2 - KB839645 is superceded by KB841356 (in both XP too), see KB.

3 - KB828026 behaviour is fixed by KB832353 (all versions up to 9, in XP too)

4 - KB814078 should be replaced by "Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP" available

here since it replaces the problematic jscript.dll 5.6.0.8513 by 5.6.0.8825.

(Not tested with XP yet, where it gave me more problems)

These are the findings on a problem myself, Bilou_Gateux and others have been working here

These replacements work, I've tested a slipstreamed 2000SP4 today with 0 critical updates and verified it with hfnetchk, only got warning of version bigger than expected. It also works within svcpack, with a few tricks devised by the grat Bilou_Gateux.

I'm replying here, so this info reaches more people who needs this info just in case you don't want to do these changes.

It works fine for Windows 2000 if reg.exe Registry Console Tool For Windows 2000 - version 2.0 is copied before in %systemroot%\system32 or somewhere in the path.

For Windows XP, i have never checked but it should works exactly the same...

I run the command from

cmdlines.txt

[Commands]
".\GDITool.cmd"

GDITool.cmd

ECHO OFF
:: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873374/en-us
:: Set Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool to completed
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\GdiDetectionTool" /v "GDITool" /t REG_DWORD /d "00000001" /f

@Bilou_Gateux

I tried this method with my Win2000 install. I used the exact syntax you suggested (copy & paste) and it doesn't work. The only thing unclear is if I had to copy reg.exe to System32 to use your method... because I didn't!

Where do you get this reg.exe version 2.0 from?

@urgan

My method to get the list of hotfixes is under simulation with a flat installation for the 3 OS. I go to Windows Update and get the list of update from there. If Microsoft themself are not giving an accurate update list, I wonder who can... :crazy:

Anyway, the goal is always the same: get all the critical updates integrated into our unattended project. I think my method is the fastest and easy for me to maintain.

I really appreciate your help & comment! Keep me updated!

I tried this method with my Win2000 install. I used the exact syntax you suggested (copy & paste) and it doesn't work. The only thing unclear is if I had to copy reg.exe to System32 to use your method... because I didn't!

@Incroyable HULK

That's easy Where can I download the Windows 2000 Resource Kit tools?

As for the updates, of course your method is valid, and easier to maintain. I just wanted to show in a more visible way (since it as in a subforum) what GreenMachine, Bilou_Gateux and me have found so far regarding 2000 updates, not that you modified the list just because we say it works better. Good work, the forum lacked this sticky long time now.

The list windowsupdate gives can be optimized and improved upon, so the updates can be applied in "one shot" whithout getting any issues. It just takes a LOT of work reading and testing. I consider it a minimal security reference, and not the "ultimate state" of a windows instalation.

If the thread doesn't grow too much, I can post here any relevant further improvement.

take care,

It is in the deploy.cab in the support/tools folder on the Windows 2000 CD... (thanx to Bilou_Gateux for pointing that out to me earlier).

You must copy it to System32 otherwise you can't add to the registry through batch files in Win2k.

Nice work on the list, btw. :thumbup

Details about REG.EXE Win2k unattended problems Topic

I have "slipstreamed" reg.exe in my 2KCreate (awesome tool from GM) source CD :

• copy a compressed version REG.EX_ in the i386 folder.
  • edit both files and add the line in the relevant section

DOSNET.INF

[Files]
d1,reg.exe

TXTSETUP.SIF

[SourceDisksFiles]
reg.exe      = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0

The file names are sorted in both files, insert the reg.exe line after redir.exe line.

I just take exemplar from a XP CD source with built-in reg.exe version 3.0

@vcBlackBox

I have downloaded AutoPatcher 2000 UltraLite to have a look inside.

It's probably the perfect solution for newbies and users installing only ENU Windows. But annoying problem, the program try to replace 3 files which are protected by WFP : scrrun.dll, msxml.dll & msxmlr.dll.

I believe that most members of msfn forum like to discover by themselves the incredible complexity of keeping a Windows box running without problems.

@IncroyableHULK

There is another method described here to install GDI+ Detection Tool