Remote Destop on 2K Server and ISA

jbkriebel

I am trying to get Remote Desktop to work on a network with topology as follows:

a 2K PDC

a Proxy running ISA on 2K server. All clients are running XP SP2. Terminal services are not installed on servers, but XP Pro boxes all have the RD enabled, with the list of users added.

I cannot get RD to work either via IP or NetBios. Network has no connectivity problems. The goal is to enable users with laptops to connect via internal Access Point to their desktops. I will work out RD over the Web later. I want to get it to work internally first.

Here is the page I get when trying to open the RD connection:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.

10061 - Connection refused

Internet Security and Acceleration Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:

The server you are attempting to access has refused the connection with the gateway. This usually results from trying to connect to a service that is inactive on the server.

ISA Server: proxy.XXXXX.com

Via:

Thanks...JK

so you have some laptops and some desktops on the network.

and you want to be able to use remote desktop from the laptop to the desktop?

and your getting a page cannot be displayed? why not use the software on the laptop? start>all programs>accessories>communications>remote desktop connection.

Yes, both laptops and desktops. Laptops are being rolled out in January, and I am trying to work through the list of "demands..."

When using the RD app, not only do no computers appear in the browse list, but connections cannot be made using NetBIOS name, or IP address. I will try to connect to the laptop from the desktop.

Laptops are to connect through a NetGEAR access point, which is configured to be transparent on the local network. All pings go through....no latency issues or resolution. This RD is a PIA. Give me NT4 terminal server any day....Thanks...JK

In the browse list, the domain was listed. However, when selected, I recieved the error that "no terminal servers were available." I did not think I needed to have a TS installed. I have SBS2003, but did not plan on rolling it out yet. I have enough to worry about, plus I had an earleir issue with the upgrade previously, where install hung up with an issue with an old trust that was established, and even after removed, won't let install continue. I guess I will post that to the server forum. I could go through technet (I have an account), but don;t have the time to get wrapped up inthat...JK

Hi jbkriebel....

I have posted something similar to this before.

As far as I know RD is different from TS so you will not see a list of host’s in the browse option of the client. For this you would need a TS running. (Maybe someone can tell me otherwise ?)

What about a fresh install does that work ? Can you connect to the other machines through the network over NetBIOS \\comuptername\share

All I would say is check you have a password on the account you are using as you seem to have tried everything else.

Not much help I know, but ii would make sure the network is fine before using RD.

Hail hail

I guess the issue is that on the 2K servers as the PDC or Proxy is receiving the requests, and then refusing teh connection. I am going to try to have the systems logged off as network clients, and work through it that way. I do not want to do the upgrade to 2003 SBS, as I will have to buy new client licenses...JK

That's what I figured. I was hoping that it would just pass the request on, as long as the appropriate ports were open...I was hoping to aviod going with TS, as I will need to but licenses for computers that don't really need the need the network for more then printing...cheaper to buy local printers all but....thanks...jk