something about wood and mdf?

Woomera

hey this maybe the most stupid question around here but im looking for the name of a machine that cut the MDF(its some kinda wood).my english is not very good and i wanna search about this machine on net but i dont know the name of it in english.so is there any woodman out there that can help out?

Hmmm toughie... :huh:

I would try something like the saws above...

or for more power....

you could try a Chain Saw. :D

However after much consideration and chatting to my local wood merchant, have been told not to advise the use of a SeeSaw ! :lol:

On the serious side though (all joking aside):

MDF (Medium density Fibreboard) is man made from fibres and dust of wood which powder like. This is then bonded under high compression which inturn creates the wood. MDF is a hazardous material when woking with it protection must be used! Any dust from cutting MDF has the simular properties as asbestos. So breathing the dust into the lungs is dangerous.

I use MDF to build Speakers and Sub boxes in cars. Its rigid and hard wearing, minimal flex in the wood creates nice deep punchy bass! But be very careful when working with it.

MadGutts is correct but you need to keep in mind that fibers from MDF are wood fibers and have similar physical properties as asbestos but has it's own carcinogenic and allergic properties. I don't know what substances are added to MDF to get it to bind other than possibly the lignin getting heated with moisture present to cause the fibers to bind. So the binders I can't comment on. Cancer from wood dust can happen. There is one rare type of nasal cancer that you can get from breathing a lot of fine wood 'flour' and dust over a long period of time. Allergic reactions to wood can be caused by your own personal allergies, wood species, how and what you come in contact with (dust or dissolved chemicals from the wood/ inhaled, ingested or contact with the skin) or how violently you react to getting a large splinter under your fingernail. Another hazard of fine wood powder is its flamambility or explosiveness, but you need the right conditions. There is a lot more to this OT topic and if you want more, go where Bashrat points.

And like MadGutts says "wear a dust mask".

• 2 weeks later...

@ MadGutts

All!!!

Also, with MDF being wood fiber that has been chopped into very small parts, I think it would be advisable to not use a router if you don't have to. Using a routher will produce a lot of fine dust. There are different grades of MDF, so one can check on that also.