Tweak for disabling those deletion warnings.

Afterdawn

Whenever you delete some special file in explorer (like a executable / read-only file), it prompts for an extra confirmation (something like "are you sure you want to bla bla...").

You get the same sort of warning when you move a read-only file.

How do I disable this behaviour?

Note: I do not mean the option under "recycle bin -> properties -> ask for confirmation". This is only the first prompt, which appears always when you try to delete any file.

I bet this isn't possible without hexediting explorer.exe i guess....i searched all sites. :huh:

• 5 months later...

> This is only the first prompt, which appears always when you try to delete any file.

It is? I tried unchecking that box, and I then don't get any confirmation. Press Delete > into recycle bin. No warning.

Are you wanting to disable all the warnings, not just the delete?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to know a way to fix that too. I don't mind the standard delete confirmation, but I don't want a goddamn confirm about deleting or moving Read-Only/EXE/System files. That's bloody annoying. "I don't care if it's Read Only, I said move the f***ing thing!!"

What version of Windows are you running on? On my XP Home, unchecking "Display delete confirmation dialog" on the Recycle Bin properties disables all warnings.

>I don't mind the standard delete confirmation

I don't know how to have the standard without the read-only, etc., warnings.

I don't think there is a way to disable these extra confirmations. I sure wish there were, they drive you crazy when your developing boot cdroms and like like.

Have to tried using regmon to see if there is a hidden registry key for this?

Well, if your on XP and I'm on XP, and you can't get rid of them and I can... There's got to be some registry tweak for this. I'll look it it some more with regmon later today.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Do you have any value under that key named "ConfirmFileDelete"? If so, what is its data?

I just thought of something...

Are you prompted for the extra comfirmations if you move/delete via the command prompt? What about adding your own Move/Delete thing thing to the Explorer toolbar/context menu that uses the command prompt to get things done?

• 1 year later...
I'd like to know a way to fix that too. I don't mind the standard delete confirmation, but I don't want a goddamn confirm about deleting or moving Read-Only/EXE/System files. That's bloody annoying. "I don't care if it's Read Only, I said move the f***ing thing!!"

I'm looking for the same tweak. It doesn't seem to exist though :}

• 1 year later...

Ok I my self have been looking for a solution to this and have yet to find one.

I have, long ago, gone into the recycle bin and unchecked the confirm deletion. I can delete most files and folders marked as read only but every now and then I get one that prompts me with the warning saying "this file is marked as read only are you sure you want to delete it?."

My biggest concern though, isn't with deleting files but with moving them. I get so sick of setting a large transfer and leaving it, only to find that it stopped 30 seconds into the transfer, because the computer felt I needed to know that I was trying to move a read only file. (what in the hell does marking a file read only do any ways????) I want files to be moved when I tell them to move. something tells me file transfer would move faster without the computer checking each file to see if its read only too. (I may be wrong though)

So if there are any solutions to this I would be greatly appreciative.

Having the option to disable this while creating and slipstreaming my install disc would be great to :D

Way to keep a 4+ year old thread alive, lol!!!!

I can't believe no one has found a way to change that setting. Gimme a sec.

edit: okay found it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\BitBucket]

"NukeOnDelete"=dword:00000000

"UseGlobalSettings"=dword:00000001

"Percent"=dword:00000000

Change nukeondelete and voila. as you can seei use globalsettings.

Just goto your own regedt of your windows of choice and export your settings. and what not.

NEXT!

Edited by TranceEnergy

• 4 months later...