Can a directory be hidden by reg key or ne script?

skinless

I want to know whether the folders can be hidden i.e, made invisible with registry tweaks ? Or by running any other scripts ( possibly without a reboot ) ?

I dont want to install any software like Folder Gaurd to do this work ;)

Need help .

later

skinless substitute

Gosh, you hate reboots - don't you.

;)

attrib +H "%systemdrive%\whatever you want to hide" /S /D
:unsure: where to add this ??? :wacko:

thats the DOS command for applying the Hidden attribute to the folder of your choice. same as hitting the check mark on the folder properties for hiding. not very secure cause all someone would have to do is hit show all hidden files and folders.

If you were on Windows ME and below i would suggest what my friend and i did at school to hide our games from the teacher... we made a folder names Tech Data but not with a space using alt+255 (we used diffrent numbers such as 216 for me and 241 for him.) had to type it in DOS though. also... 255 is the highest number you can use. and i think only 200-255 work.

*ONLY WORKS WITH WINDOWS ME AND BELOW* (maybe Windows Me.. not sure..) only throwing this out there if anyone wants/needs this info.

at dos (to make the folder)

cd\

cd progra~1

md tech(alt+255)data

exit

to access we would go back to dos and type

cd\

cd progra~1

rename tech(alt+255)data data

exit

and to lock the folder we would go back to dos and type

cd\

cd progra~1

rename data tech(alt+255)data

exit

once locked, the folder couldn't be deleted, shared, renamed, accessed in anyways unless someone has made a program to get around this.

I was once stupid and made these batch files... but that kinda defeated the purpose of having them locked lol. so these had to be typed up everytime.

another solution, but doesn't seem your very computer litterate so i wouldn't suggest doing this. *no offense*

but format the hard drive to 2 partions and then use a reg setting to change the drive to invisible. not sure about the setting though. its been a while since i've had to do that. and the drive can still be accessed using DOS and other file browsing programs... so thats not secure too.

I tried that by adding it to batch but as Biohazard said it is same hitting the checkbox in folrder's property :( what i am looking is something like TWEAK XP does while hiding or protecting a folder ( i dont remeber what it did but tweak XP 4 has a functionality for hiding or locking it )

ok... i think i got your best solution, but it doesn't prevent against deletion... and its kinda slow... also any folders you have in there can be easily opened but the files themselves can't be without the password.

example...

test.zip
 +stuff 1
     +picture1.jpg
     +picture2.jpg

when someone clicks test.zip, they see Stuff 1 *folder*, then they see Picture 1 and 2 but when they try to view the picture it asks for a password. only way i see getting rid of that is to after adding the password to the folder rename it to like test.exe or whatever and hide it in a windows folder where you can remeber. then rename it back to .zip whenever you wanna access the data.

On windows XP, make a New (Compressed) Zip by right clicking on the desktop or where ever and hitting New -> Compressed Zip....

IF that option isn't there then you have something like winzip or something else associated with .zip files... unassociate .zip files with whatever zip program you maybe using.. and then run this command at start -> Run

regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

you'll have to restart after this and i know how you HATE restarting lol.

this should turn back on windows xp's default built-in zip. now you should have the option to make the compressed folders.

once you make the folder if its nothing important MOVE the files in there. if it is important stuff, make a backup onto a cd and hide it well. just incase....

after all the files are moved in there hit file -> add a password...

that should do it..

also, I think if its a game or soemthing your hiding it would have to unextract it all to play so i see a time as being a problem. and not sure about this, but when your done with your game or whatever and move the files back into this folder you must hit add a password again to password the game or whatever again.

Edited by Bi0haZarD

once locked, the folder couldn't be deleted, shared, renamed, accessed in anyways unless someone has made a program to get around this.

Your trick needs no special program to unlock that folder.

Simply, anyone can go to a DOS prompt and type ren tech* data and they're done. :P

Your trick needs no special program to unlock that folder.

Simply, anyone can go to a DOS prompt and type ren tech* data and they're done. :P

never though of that..........

next time i'm on a windows ME or below box i'll try. I think it still comes up with the error...

but even if that does allow a work around, it provides security against most people. if you want really good protection you would have to use soemthing like Folder Guard

lol not even looking for zip man .... ;)

if u have tweak xp pro u might guess what i m looking for :)

only alternative besides downloading a program i could find. i'll try to download tweak xp pro and check that. but i'm sure it encrypts and locks the folder using the program not doing any registry modifications..

but i'm sure it encrypts and locks the folder using the program not doing any registry modifications..

Exactly thats what i want to learn making an excutable that would run a script to do the same n no reboot required :lol:.

I want that functionality of tweak xp to be exploited.

but even if that does allow a work around, it provides security against most people.

Agree most of the ppl dont get that its as spoofed name space n think it to be a genuine error !

How about this?

Set a folder to hidden. (Using Folder Options or Command Prompt)

Make sure the option 'Do not show hidden files and folders' is selected.

In Regedit go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden

Change data in value Type from 'group' to blank. Hit the F5 key (Refresh). This will remove the options 'Show hidden files and folders' and 'Do not show hidden files and folders'.

You can make a script to do all this work if you wish.

The folder can still be viewed by typing in the correct path name.