recommended way to obtain M$ hotfixes

sybesma

USE THIS INFORMATION VERY, VERY JUDICIOUSLY AND ONLY WHEN YOU ARE HAVING GREAT DIFFICULTY OBTAINING A HOTFIX.

DON'T USE PERSONAL E-MAIL ADDRESSES ON THE FIRST COUPLE FAILED ATTEMPTS. PLEASE USE ONLY AFTER YOU'VE BEEN DENIED THREE TIMES.

Cool Microsoft people that send the hotfixes:

Bala (manager is Lahar Tahbildar)

Corey coreysq@microsoft.com (manager is ???)

Erik erikwi@microsoft.com (manager is Randy)

Kathy a-kathye@microsoft.com (manager is Shawn Brewer)

Ranjana (manager is Hemanth Kumar)

Selva (manager is Hemanth Kumar)

E-mail address for managers is: managers@microsoft.com

Other e-mail addresses used by Microsoft to send fixes:

comprule@microsoft.com

support@microsoft.com

wrhelp@microsoft

Microsoft people that don't send the hotfixes and give you a line of bull:

Abhiranjan *** (THIS GUY WILL WASTE YOUR TIME) *** (manager is Dennis Mathen)

Ajay (manager is Anurag Yadav)

Sandeep (manager is Prabhu Narayanan)

Subramonian (manager is Ranjith Chakkambadh)

Uday (manager is Prabhu Narayanan)

I used the following way.

1. Go to the following address.

http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance

2. Click on "Microsoft Windows Update" link.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=6527

I could obtain the hotfix from manager.

hmm that method might work HSI but it's better to do what Sybesma said back when he started this topic in emailing MS.

BTW, MDGx was sent the English version of the Q320798 kernel32.dll Win98 patch.

Guess you can request a patch in almost any language if MS has it in the language that is specified.

Well, so far all hotfixes in Unofficial pack have been translated to dutch now. So you don't have to worry if a hotfix is not available in languages other than English

cool hp38guser. Be sure not to translate certain files that are not language dependent like the riched20.dll file. That file I know is "language neutral" as noted in its file properties.

Well, so far all hotfixes in Unofficial pack have been translated to dutch now. So you don't have to worry if a hotfix is not available in languages other than English

unfortunately some English files can't be used for the translation to Asian Languages (like Korean, Japanese and so on...)

• 1 month later...
guess this forum thread can also be useful when requesting patches for obsolete Win95

and the now unsupported WinNT4.

nope. I take this back. tried asking for three different Win95 hotfixes from microsoft support and have been told that they've ceased ALL support for Win95. guess they don't have any existing Win95 hotfixes anymore. so, this thread can NOT be used to request any Win95 hotfix nowadays. it's way too late for this. if anyone is still using Win95 (hopefully not), it would be best to upgrade to Win98 or higher.

however, the tips described earlier on obtaining hotfixes might still work when asking for NT4 hotfixes.

• 4 weeks later...

unfortunately some English files can't be used for the translation to Asian Languages (like Korean, Japanese and so on...)

that's too bad. then you'll just have to ask for the hotfixes for the specific language, such as Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc. don't be surprised if MS tells you that a hotfix you requested isn't available in certain languages.

I'll try to ask as many Win98/WinME hotfixes I can request, hp38guser. Perhaps you and others should try emailing Microsoft support so I don't have to feel like I'm the only one doing this and getting results.

Instead of emailing MS support at:

wrhelp@microsoft.com

send your hotfix request here to this MS support email address:

support@microsoft.com

You may have to wait a few days (or maybe up to a week) for Microsoft to respond to your emails. The "wrhelp" address now takes too long.

You better hurry requesting Windows 98 Hotfixes. Half-way 2006 Microsoft will cut down on support for this OS.

Where is the Microsoft ESDI_506.PDR Hotfix for enabling large drive support ? Who must I ask for it ?

This is the most critical bug affecting Win98 SE and Win ME and Microsoft does nothing at all about it though the problem is known to them since quite a long time and potentially threatens millions of end users worldwide who currently upgrade their hard disks on 98 or ME systems with huge data losses. The OS allows you to format those disks to their real size (at least Win ME does) and if you are unaware of the 48bit LBA adressing bug like most people are you''ll lose much if not all your data as soon as the OS will try to write on the disks beyond the 128 GB mark, regardless of partitioning.

Years ago, Microsoft proudly announced when they introduced FAT32 that the 9x familly of OSes was supporting partitions of up to 2 TB in size (and therefore Hard Drives up to something like 40 TB).

Microsoft has corrected this bug in Windows 2000 in which it was present as well several years ago with SP3 but not in Windows ME which is no older than Windows 2000.

A certain Rudolph R. Loew has apparently successfully written a patch ON HIS OWN for addressing this bug. It has apparently been tested positively on drives of up to 400 GB.

Can I suggest Microsoft to take contact with Mr Loew to buy his patch and issue it in emergency to their customers who need it as they seem unable to solve the problem themselves despite their billions and expertise ?

Or has maybe someone the address of a good lawyer so that I and others can successfully sue Microsoft for the sudden and huge data losses they have or will suffer solely for the reasons underlined above until Microsoft support officially ceases for the 98SE and Me OSes ?

FORGET IT, eidenk! There's NO esdi_506.pdr fix that wil support very large HDs for Win9xME systems beyond 137 gigs. so get over it!

Read topic on 137 Gb limit - esdi_506.pdr and other limits:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=46752

If you want to use a 400 Gb HD, use Win2000 or XP and use NTFS file system as NTFS handles 100Gb & higher capacity HDs very well, unlike FAT32 which is crappy for drives bigger than 100 gigs.

Note that some existing hotfixes (such as Q230791,Q265528 & Q329128) may no longer be available due to unforseen problems these hotfixes cause.

• 3 weeks later...
Can I suggest Microsoft to take contact with Mr Loew to buy his patch and issue it  in emergency to their customers who need it as they seem unable to solve the problem themselves despite their billions and expertise ?

Or has maybe someone the address of a good lawyer so that I and others can successfully sue Microsoft for the sudden and huge data losses they have or will suffer solely for the reasons underlined above until Microsoft support officially ceases for the 98SE and Me OSes ?

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME, MONEY & ENERGY TRYING TO ACTUALLY SUE MICROSOFT!

...OR YOU'LL END UP WITH EVEN MORE MISERY!!!

--------

The problem with Win9xME systems not supporting very large HDs beyond 137Gb is both a SOFTWARE AND A HARDWARE PROBLEM! In order for the 400Gb HD to work on a PC, you'll need a PC made in 2004 or later, and a BIOS from 2004 or later and most likely a more recent version of Windows. So just patching the HD problem with a hotfix is just isn't good enough.

The problem with Win9xME systems not supporting very large HDs beyond 137Gb is both a SOFTWARE AND A HARDWARE PROBLEM!  In order for the 400Gb HD to work on a PC, you'll need a PC made in 2004 or later, and a BIOS from 2004 or later and most likely a more recent version of Windows.  So just patching the HD problem with a hotfix is just isn't good enough.

It's not hardware problem, you can use 137GB+ disks with any IDE controller since its's invention more than 10 years ago. It's really just software problem, please read my post in 137GB limit - ESDI_506.PDR and other limits thread. BIOS is also software :-)

Award BIOS on my GA-6OXE-1 motherboard with i815EP chipset supports 137GB+ and it was produced in the first half of 2001.

ESDI_506.PDR patch is all you need for your box made in 2001+ to let Windows 98 SE fully support 137GB+ disks - but just in case you don't have specific IDE controller drivers like Intel Application Accelerator for your board, in that case you need nothing. There will be some cosmetic errors with some tools, and partition size limited to 136GB if you want to use DEFRAG and Windows SCANDISK (It's memory allocation problem). But you can use any other tools e.g. from Symantec.

Petr