recommended way to obtain M$ hotfixes

sybesma

From now on just use the following email address to request hotfixes for any currently supported Microsoft software:

comprule@microsoft.com

[do NOT use compmail@microsoft.com if you do not have a case number with you as any message w/out a case number will be rejected]

support@microsoft.com

wrhelp@microsoft.com

• 3 weeks later...

I give kudos to Petr and the Czech MS support reps for providing the 828028 patches for Win98/ME.

The MS support people I've been emailing just does NOT even know the 828028 hotfixes for Win98 and WinME exist. here's a part of the email I received from MS support a few weeks ago:

---------------------

Hello E,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Online Customer Service.

I understand that you wish to obtain the Hotfix as per KB article 828028. I realize the importance of your concern.

The Hotfix mentioned in KB article 828028 does not apply to Windows 98 SE. For Microsoft to deliver the highest quality of support possible, it is necessary to expire support for discontinued products and apply those resources to support the latest developments and technologies from Microsoft. Warranty support is no longer available for Windows 98 SE.

You may call a Microsoft Support Professional at (800) 936 5700. Their normal business hours are Monday - Friday 5:00 A.M. - 9:00 P.M. Pacific time and Saturday - Sunday 6:00 A.M. - 3:00 P.M. Pacific time.

If you would like more information about the retirement of warranty support for our retail products, please visit our Product Support Lifecycle list located at the following Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...en-us;lifecycle

E, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail.

Thank you for using Microsoft products and services.

########

Microsoft Online Customer Service Representative

----------------------

I sent my 828028 hotfix requests several times in late December 2005 and all I get are messages saying the 828028 hotfix is "Not applicable" to Windows 98 or ME. That built up my frustration to almost a boiling point.

Now you see why I was unable to get the 828028 Win98/ME hotfixes from them and Petr got the 828028 hotfixes from the local MS support reps from his area with no trouble.

ps - I'm not going to mention the name of the MS support representative(s) who responded to my 828028 hotfix requests. many of them just dont have a clue about the 828028 patches or where to get them.

Edited by erpdude8

• 4 weeks later...
From now on just use the following email address to request hotfixes for any currently supported Microsoft software:

comprule@microsoft.com

[do NOT use compmail@microsoft.com if you do not have a case number with you as any message w/out a case number will be rejected]

support@microsoft.com

wrhelp@microsoft.com

Tested the "comprule" MS email address. Does not work anymore. Compmail will still work but only with a case number beginning with SRX.

maybe this one might still work:

msupport@microsoft.com

I remember using that one back in early summer 2001 to report a bug with an old IE 5.5 SP1 security update.

Edited by erpdude8

• 4 months later...

Petr has sent me Win95 hotfixes Q175629, Q229670 & Q242934. Q229670 and Q242934 may not be needed if MS Active Accessibility 1.3 is installed under Win95 which updates the gdi.exe, gdi32.dll, user.exe & user32.dll files to version 4.01.971.

it is now past the July 11, 2006 date and it looks like MS is no longer offering anymore hotfixes for Win98 & ME.

Edited by erpdude8

• 3 weeks later...

my list of win95 hotfixes is shrinking. there are about less than ten win95 hotfixes I have left on my list. I'm waiting for Petr to send me (and maybe MDGx) some more Win95 hotfixes.

Edited by erpdude8

If I want to request for example hotfix Q923762 for Windows 2000 SP4

(for unofficial win9x kb918899 update )

and want the "German" or for example "Spanish" version of this fix do I have to write to an other e-mail address than support@microsoft.com?

Or is it enough to write them the desired language in the mail and then send it to support@microsoft.com .

Edited by winxpi

If I want to request for example hotfix Q923762 for Windows 2000 SP4

(for unofficial win9x kb918899 update )

and want the "German" or for example "Spanish" version of this fix do I have to write to an other e-mail address than support@microsoft.com?

Or is it enough to write them the desired language in the mail and then send it to support@microsoft.com .

you can request the hotfix for a different language as long as you mention the language version of Windows (ex. Windows 2000 Professional SP4 German).

note that you can also send your request to wrhelp@microsoft.com

Good to know! Thanks!

Microsoft is updating 918899 on August 22 to include the fix in 923762. I will update the 98/SE/ME/NT4 fix at that time.

This is good news.

Edited by winxpi

• 2 weeks later...
I would not bother requesting 923762. Microsoft is updating 918899 on August 22 to include the fix in 923762. I will update the 98/SE/ME/NT4 fix at that time.

the_guy

likewise. however, MS revised KB918899 for IE6SP1 for Win2000 SP4/WinXP SP1 on August 24 instead of August 22. If you install the RTMQFE edition of 918899 for IE6 SP1 the patch should update the URLMON.DLL file to version 6.0.2800.1567. You MUST install the RTMQFE edition of 918899 to get the benefit of the 923762 hotfix as it will not work with just installing the RTMGDR edition of 918899.

@erpdude8: see my post in the new updates topic. MS made a screw up in the writing of the versions of urlmon.dll.

the_guy

already notified MS about the wrong version numbers for urlmon.dll file for IE6 SP1 KB918899 patch.

I would not bother requesting 923762. Microsoft is updating 918899 on August 22 to include the fix in 923762. I will update the 98/SE/ME/NT4 fix at that time.

the_guy

speaking of KB918899, there are the KB923996 hotfixes for XP SP2 and WS2K3 SP1 that fix the problems the WinXP SP2 and Win2003 SP1 versions of KB918899 cause. unlike MS revising the KB918899 patch for IE6 SP1, MS will NOT revise the KB918899 patches for XP SP2 and WS2K3 SP1 to include KB923996.