Notepad Replacement

Gape

how is life as a mod
Thanks for asking.

It's actually time consuming, I'm trying to read all new posts [and there are lots] make sure people don't put in war3z links, pron, profanity, insults, flames etc.

But on the bright side, I get to know most of the MSFN members who frequent 9x forums, and my PM box capacity just quadrupled. ;)

PFE is ok i just prefer metapad because it doesnt have as much stuff i dont need.

how is life as a mod

'awergh,'

I completely agree with you on the MetaPad and PFE is TOO much. Besides the Font style and size are very restrictive in PFE.

I went back and re-ran the UnOfficialWin98SE_SP2.1a and unchecked every item and then checked MetaPad for install. Voila!! MetaPad is back again, and I plan on saving the full list of files in a protected area just incase some other program replaces it again.

Just an IDEA 4U 2 try,

Greetings Jaqie,

My only reason for posting was to let others know of how to regain the one, "MetaPad," that came with the last version of 'UnOfficialWin98SE_SP2.1A'.

My favorite is 'EditPad' by JGSOFT website http://www.EditPadLite.com and is FREE. Will open any size file and any number of files using TABS like FireFox.

I would also like to apologize for the posting I did in the Introduce yourself threading. At that time I had so much on my mind that I was not thinking straight. If there are any specifics you wish to address let me know and we may discuss this. You may send me a PM if you would prefer.

And still have a need to get back to that project of updating my system so I can attempt the "98SE2XP" again as it did not work correctly the first time.

I do send you my APOLOGY and wish you all of the happyness over the coming Holidays,

While it may not fit your bill, I thought a quick flyby post denoting how much I love notepad++ would be in order for anyone searching for an alt. notepad.

I also love Notepad++ and use it everyday, but... it's not a "notepad" replacement.

It has too many menu and sub menus to be a notepad. Some poeple think that notpad is to write code and the more developer function there are the best is the "notepad". No a notepad is a note handler. It's for text.

Not for editing programs.

IMO the most important is that notepad launch fast and offer a maximum space for visibility and have easy, one-click commands.

I have to say Notepad2 is great i didn't like the 2 so i removed them all

with resource hacker.Now i have a Notepad.exe

Pfe.exe is great too but its for advance users

i only use it as a notepad the other stuff is out of my league.

Now i'm debating on the both because they are both advanced and i only use it as

a notepad.exe to make reg files etc...

I guess there will never be no basic notepad.exe

here is the old one that was fixed by someone on the forum

http://www.mdgx.com/files/NPUPDW98.EXE

it just needs it icon change to the one from WinXP

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

I've used nearly all the 'notepad-replacements' suggested above, and my personal favorite is EditPlus. It's not free, but it somehow 'clicked' with me.

So, my suggestion is to just download them all, try them one-by-one, and settle with the one that suits you best.

There's no "one-size-fits-all" solution here.

I tried NotepadEx, and I think I like it. I'm very sensitive to change, though, so it'll take some getting used to.

I disabled the status bar, the automatic wrapping, and automatic indentation. Then it works exactly like Notepad. One small complaint, though: just like the original Notepad, when you try to save a file with an extension that isn't registered, it'll always append .txt