Notepad Replacement

Gape

Try this one:

Notepad++

Notepad++ is a free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the M$ Windows environment.

This project, based on Scintilla edit component (a very powerful editor component) and written in C++ with pure win32 api (i.e. without MFC, that ensures the higher execution speed and smaller size of the program), is under the GPL Licence.

This project is mature. However, as you can see it’s a one-man-project, there’re still some bugs and missing features. If you have any question or suggestion about this project, please drop me a mail, I’ll love to hear from you. As well, if you have any feature request, you can always do the demand, but there’s no warranty that I’ll implement it.

It's GNU, 600K download BTW.

Cheers

Ive been using Editpad lite for several months. The "lite" version is totally free, while the Pro version is pay for.

Site: http://www.editpadpro.com/editpadlite.html

Download: http://download.jgsoft.com/editpad/SetupEditPadLite.exe

Pros

-tabbed interface

-F5 key inserts current date/time (just like regular notepad, and the format is even configurable)

-context menu option under the sendto menu

-unix/windows text formats

-can minimize to tray

-can edit file associated file extensions easily in the program itself

-in can be run using a .ini file with no registry entries

-Unicode and UTF support

-optional line numbers display for programmers

There is probably a lot more Im forgetting, but that is all I can think of off the top of my head. Im not positive but I think it does support both UTF and unicode formats. Over the months Ive been using it the only thing I miss is syntax highlighting for stuff like html coding.

Trying to find a text editor that the majority agrees on is probably going to be tough though. I tried easily over a dozen text editors before I finally found one that had the highest number of features/capabilities I wanted. I did give Notepad++ a try, and I think it would be a good choice. It does have syntax highlighting, but lacks the configurability of Editpad lite.

ok guys :thumbup

i'm not sure that notepad.exe have to be replaced with any other editors You know B)

Everybody can use what he want :rolleyes:

Also i know that all mentioned editors weekly are released with new version - due to this any of them can not be placed into the service pack.

Sorry, I know this is'nt the place but, can I rename notepad2 to notepad, makecab it and use it for an unnatended installation in XP?

You can, but you must proceed doing it in these steps, or installation will fail:

1. rename notepad2.exe to notepad.exe

2. use modifype.exe to add crc checksumdata to notepad.exe

3. makecab the file to notepad.ex_ and replace it on your cd.

Have fun with it!

So the version 2.0 will not contain any Notepad replacement.

However, there was a modified version original Notepad (which has more key-bindings) in the 1.x, I think we don't need this, too.