Boot from USB Flash Drive?

Incroyable HULK

Of course I know what you are talking about. my answer is..... Yes.... my BIOS support the USB device as HDD-BOOT... like I can partitioning the USB stick and I can install diff. OS on it (I tried both already). I also can take out all IDE HDD and assign my USB Stick at C: on my BIOS...Maybe, (I think), My computer BIOS will run the USB HDD or USB stick as a IDE HDD.

My motherboard model is ASUS P4P800-VM

If you understand it, why did you try to burn a (multiboot-) cd iso image on usb stick?In my post I've point out it is impossible to such thing.

Your post:

I made a multi-boot CD image (ISO file) and I want to burn it on a USB drive. Is there any problem can do it?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The possiblity is there, but how to do it without the floppy........

Nerevar

The above mentioned "Flashboot" is in a very primitive form/phase and can only create "single boot" flask sticks. A multiboot option to allow setup diff. Wndows XP/2k/2k3 is not there ... even a single boot to setup win xp in "no emul." mode is also not allowed...

So, the possiblity is NOT there!

that flashboot program is junk, I can do better without.. so far i have been able to install windows 2000 to my flash drive and boot from it, i'm working my butt off trying to get a PE working on it, but no luck so far, i got it to boot to dos and win98 and i had slackware 10.1 (no X11 mind you) but i really want a PE or ERD to work on it, that would be awesome

P.S. a 1 gig stick

Has anyone been to the 98Lite sight lately, at the bottom of the page they show

you Mini-windows98 booting from a 16mb flash-drive.

Although the flashdrive is'nt connected to a pc.

I wonder if they could offer some advice at all.

Iv'e noticed in the bios options of a lot of computer where in the order in which the

system boots the drives - eg: floppy,H/D , CD-rom there is usually also a 4th

option that says boot other devices, I wonder what other devices could be booted?

98Lite.com

The 98Lite sight also claims to boot OS's from flash-drives.

We can take your program or concept from the desktop phase to a dedicated compact flash drive or similar storage that is ready for customer distribution in just a couple of weeks. 80% of our projects fit on a 32MB flash drive, many smaller!

Our experience includes: Web kiosks running IE, Opera and Pheonix, Multimedia Set-top-Box - multimedia, streaming TV and Web enabled, Data logging, MP3 jukebox. We offer BIOS customisation, and OS protection and encryption to prevent reverse-engineering

The key here of course would be bios customisation.

This sight here looks as though they have operating systems booting from your

everyday usb flash-drive too!

OS on a flash-drive

• 1 month later...

Just to keep information consistent, here is a similarly realted thread, where I posted a link to my small tutorial on how to make USB bootable.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=26612&st=70

Paulo, I see this is your first post, welcome on the board, but take your time looking around and searching before posting

(that link has already been posted many, many times)

jaclaz

does this information pertain to making a hard drive in a usb enclosure bootable? My BIOS supports booting from a usb device. I just have problems with figuring out how to make a boot sector for it or anything period. I would also have problems with making my CDs and DVDs bootable, thinking that I can just make a Windows XP ISO with nlite and then mount the image, then copy all its contents to the root of said CD, DVD, or hard drive.

Isn't there an easier way to go about making a drive bootable instead of using a floppy drive(which I don't have)? TIA.

@Sonarcade

You do not need a floppy drive.

If you have an external USB drive, you can use the "normal" Disk management" to partition it and format it.

If you format the partition as Primary from within windows (2k/XP) it will be already bootable for NT based systems (will look for NTLDR).

If you want to have it run another system, like Win9x/ME, you need to format it as FAT16, then use BOOTPART to recreate the bootsector and copy to the root the system files.

Could you post some more details on what you wsh to accomplish?

jaclaz

well i have 2 ways for you to enable you to boot from a usb stick 1 is free and 1 is a trial. the ist is PE builder 3.14 beta version which i havent got the link for right now but you should all know how to find i think its on the forum somewhere anyway install it and go to the directory and there is a bat file which enables you to do it and a handy little txt file to tell you how the only prob is that there is a lengthy download from microsoft in order to make it work. oh and its still in beta phase.

the 2nd one is flashboot

flashboot

this is a download (quite small) and allows you to also make a flashdrive bootable but its trial allows you to build and then run it once thats all so you will have to buy it.

if you do though there is a great program out there called 98lite and its like nlite but just for win 98 (as name suggests). the site has claimed to get 98SE down to 8mb still with explorer and run it off a flash drive for an "instant boot" once again you have to purchase but a demo is available and once again i dont have the link right now but will post it later. well i hope this has been helpful ive got so much information from this forum and its nice to give something back.

enjoy!

here ive attatched 98 lite (dont know if this is allowed but its only the demo)