MY usb device doesn't being detected

roy1984

Does any USB device work?

If not then check to see if the Plug and Play service is running. Go to

Start->Run and type in "services.msc"

Scroll down until you find the Plug and Play entry. Double Click it and set the startup type to "Automatic". Restart your computer and see if this solves the problem.

Hope this helps.

If you have updated to SP2 the USB drivers may have not been updated, this is an issue with SP2.

Goto control panel, system, hardware, device manager

Look at the USB ports etc and see if any have yellow question marks on, if so right click and select update driver, the driver should update and then see what happens.

The plug and play services is started, automatic. and my usb driver is installed , i didn't see the yellow question mark on the list of my device manager. when i plug in any usb devices, the icon on tray " safety remove hardware" didn't appear

With the USB hard drive you may need to use disk administrator to create it on your system as a logical drive and then assign it a drive letter.

I have seen this before with some USB drives I have worked with.

It would help to know if he is running SP2 or SP1, but his asus board should have the USB driver on CD, and XP should find that.

I'm wondering if he isn't using the front USB ports, and has the + & - data wires crossed