Registering File Extensions Unattended

SiMoNsAyS

Hey SimonSays, I've been trying to figure this out for some time and finally got it:

How to COMPLETELY ASSOCIATE audio files with WMP.

The current registry entries we've posted, associate FLAC, OGG, etc with WMP10 but make it difficult to cue up more than one song, basically it says to OPEN the file in wmp nothing more.

Normally with MP3 and WMA files Windows recognizes them by DEFUALT and has context menu entries such as

Play / Add to Now Playing List / Add to Playlist / etc

I want the same to be true for flac, ogg, mpc, ape, etc.

Heres How:

In Windows Explorer or the Control Panel:

Open Folder Options > File Types > New

For File Extension put in Flac for example.

Click Advanced.

For Associated File Types select Windows Media Audio File.

Click OK to finish, that's it!

I will clean up the registry files and test them in vmware so we can do this unattended.

@SiMoNsAyS

nice thread.u did a great job.but the method u mentioned in the first post is for runonceEX i think.change it for registry file.so that we can easily add it to our registry tweak file.

and i want to open .nfo file with notepad.what to change in the code.

@Cartoonite, first i must say thanks and then excuses, i didn't saw your post until today :blushing: :

1: yes

2: if you remove the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\D-Tools\shell\open\command", double click let you mount the image (if it was "M"ount, notice the alphabetical order). an alternative way can be assigning "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\D-Tools\shell\open\command" to mount the image. dunno if it's clear :unsure:

3: can be done on another way; you can build a custom .cmd command "if exist X: then REG ADD..." so if one of the units it's not mounted, the menu entry won't be added.

@DigeratiPrime really good job :D, rell me if it worked so i can add it to the 1st post :thumbup

@bmn there's only 1 problem and that's why i used the batch file... the reg can't be drive independant. the .cmd will read the %PROGRAMFILES% variable to add the entries. reg files will only accept those strings (%STRING%) if is added on hex and that would be a LOT of job.

about nfo files, easy...

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.nfo" /VE /D "ASCII" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.diz" /VE /D "ASCII" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ASCII\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "%WINDIR%\system32\shell32.dll,70" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ASCII\shell\open\command" /VE /D "notepad.exe \"%%L\"" /F
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ASCII\shell\edit\command" /VE /D "notepad.exe \"%%L\"" /F

2: if you remove the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\D-Tools\shell\open\command", double click let you mount the image (if it was "M"ount, notice the alphabetical order). an alternative way can be assigning "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\D-Tools\shell\open\command" to mount the image. dunno if it's clear :unsure:

Dunno if it's clear either. It's not to me. :D

Regardless, it doesn't look like something that would produce my desired result, even if I did understand it. I'm not sure I made my intention clear enough.

I would like to make Mount and Unmount menus like the "Open With" menu pictured here. "Open With" represents the desired location (Main menu of right-click) of "Mount" and "Unmount" (have them both as their own sub-menus), and the individual devices (0, 1, 2, 4) should be accessed the same way "WinRAR" and "Virtual PC" are in the image. Hopefully I've given a better description this time around. If it's still not clear, just let me know and I will try again.

like this?  btw I've been meaning to do this unattended also.

Yes, perfect!

I never knew exactly what that plugin did. :blushing:

I think I've seen something posted here already about getting that plugin to install unattended. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

I personally made a small modification to ACDSee classic shell extensions because the "Print with ACDSee" and "View with ACDSee" menu buttons were annoying me.

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_BMP\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_BW\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_DCX\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_DIB\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_EMF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_GIF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_IFF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_ILBM\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JFIF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JIF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPE\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPEG\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPG\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_KDC\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_LBM\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PCD\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PCX\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PIC\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PIX\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PNG\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PSD\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RGB\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RGBA\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RLE\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_SGI\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TGA\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TIF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TIFF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_WMF\shell\ACDPrint" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_BMP\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_BW\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_DCX\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_DIB\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_EMF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_GIF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_IFF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_ILBM\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JFIF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JIF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPE\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPEG\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_JPG\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_KDC\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_LBM\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PCD\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PCX\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PIC\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PIX\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PNG\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_PSD\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RGB\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RGBA\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_RLE\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_SGI\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TGA\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TIF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_TIFF\shell\ACDView" /F
REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ACDC_WMF\shell\ACDView" /F

Btw, major thanks for the ACDSee extensions! I started manually doing it myself yesterday but... I gave up at "GIF" :P

• 2 weeks later...

Textpad associations for .txt, .log, .nfo, .cfg files.. If you want to add more just grab one example (.nfo as an example here): Search and replace .nfo with .log and change the the "Nfo Document" to any description you like.

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Helios\TextPad 4\Associations" /V .txt /D "txtfile" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\.txt" /VE /D "TextPad.txt" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt" /VE /D "Text Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.txt\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCR\.txt" /VE /D "TextPad.txt" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\.txt" /V "Content Type" /D "text/plain" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt" /VE /D "Text Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.txt\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Helios\TextPad 4\Associations" /V .log /D "txtfile" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\.log" /VE /D "TextPad.log" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log" /VE /D "Log Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.log\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCR\.log" /VE /D "TextPad.log" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log" /VE /D "Log Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.log\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Helios\TextPad 4\Associations" /V .nfo /D "txtfile" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\.nfo" /VE /D "TextPad.nfo" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo" /VE /D "Nfo Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.nfo\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCR\.nfo" /VE /D "TextPad.nfo" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo" /VE /D "Nfo Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.nfo\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Helios\TextPad 4\Associations" /V .cfg /D "txtfile" /F

REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\.cfg" /VE /D "TextPad.cfg" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg" /VE /D "Cfg Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Classes\TextPad.cfg\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F

REG ADD "HKCR\.cfg" /VE /D "TextPad.cfg" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg" /VE /D "Cfg Document" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\DefaultIcon" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\",1" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec" /VE /D "[open(\"%%1\")]" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec\application" /VE /D "TextPad" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\open\ddeexec\topic" /VE /D "System" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\print\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -p \"%%1\"" /F
REG ADD "HKCR\TextPad.cfg\shell\printto\command" /VE /D "\"%PROGRAMFILES%\TextPad 4\TextPad.exe\" -s -pt \"%%1\" \"%%2\" \"%%3\" \"%%4\"" /F