Messed Up Reg

Subbliminal

Well um, i cant seem to install anything anymore because my registry is seriously messed up. Half the things in there have a message

Cannot open *name*; Error while opening key.

This is causeing lots of problems as i cannot install alot of things because nothing can be saved to the registry. Anyone know whats wrong and how to fix it.

If you've done a registry backup then restore it. If you haven't been backing up the registry and you're using XP then try a system restore. If neither of these work then you are quite possibly looking at a reinstall, although a repair may do it.

well system restore wouldnt work, its been going on for to long. I want to reinstall windows, but other people use the computer and dont want me to unless i can save our stuff off. We just bought a dvd burner so i could move everything but since the registry is messed up i cannot make dvd data disks since the software i need to install cannot save its registry info and therefore will not install. Looks like im gonna have to buy alot of regular disks then..

done correctly, yes. Visit the Microsoft Site to get the gen on effecting a repair correctly. There are many tech sites on the web where you can get all the info. you require, if need be. It is necessary to have a full retail version of XP - it can't be done with a restore disc, at least I don't think so.

Done correctly it just repairs the installation - it replaces, or repairs, any files that are knackered. It doesn't affect your installed apps., or your personal files but be aware that it must be a full retail version otherwise it simply formats the drive and installs afresh over everything - also be aware that it could well be one of your apps. that caused the problem in the first place. Visit these sites read what they have to say and you will feel more comfortable with what you are doing. When everything is up and running again you should consider making regular backups of your registry, also your important files - if you had regular backups of your files then you wouldn't be needing to take them of your drive now and you could just horse on with a reinstall. Good luck.