Please could someone offer some guidance?

hp01jpc

Hello,

Utter newb here, apologies in advance for that. I have been surfing around these forums for a few days now and my head is starting to hurt. I am getting a little confused with regard to how to integrate SATA drivers into my unattended XP install. There seems to be a number of methods to do this, and I am looking for the easiest one.

It seems that on one hand, you can do it manually, which entails getting the specific driver for your SATA controller, putting it into your CD's directory structure and then amending various configuration and batch files to allow windows set-up to 'see' the driver you need.

After more searching around, I found another method - downloading big driver packs and using pre-written batch files to do most of the work for you. This was appealing. However, I have tried to accomplish my task using this method and have not had success.

These are the steps I took...

1. Copy contents of XP pro to hard disk.

2. Copy XP SP2 to hard disk.

3. Streamline SP2 into XP installation using nLite.

4. Integrate hotfix updates (downloaded from RyanVM's webpage).

5. Select unattended install within nLite and enter my key code etc.

Now I have a new directory on my hard disk which contains everything I want my CD to contain minus the SATA drivers. I understand that having used nLite's unattended setup thingy, I can no longer press F6 to copy the SATA files over - so I have to get the SATA stuff on there.

1. I downloaded the driverpack base and all three driverpacks on bashrats page (http://www.btsunattended.net/EN/DriverPacks/index.htm).

2. Placed the driver packs inside the BTS_DriverPacks_Base_Vxxx\DriverPacks directory.

3. I followed the instructions for method 2.

After the cmd file had created the directory method_2_ROOT, i copied the contents to the root directory of the folder containing my windows files as I spoke of above. I ran the RUN_ME file and pressed keys to proceed when prompted. Now I come to the bit I think I may have done wrong. I only want the SATA drivers, not the sound or lan ones. So, again I (tried) to follow the instructions in the FAQ file to the letter. I removed the two driverpack '7z' files from the OEM directory I didn't want. This was done AFTER I ran the RUN_ME file in the root directory copied over earlier.

Now I edited the presetup.cmd file in the I386 folder. First of all I removed all the lines with REM in front of them. And removed the lines pertaining to the lan and sound drivers. Then I re-ran nLite and created the ISO from the folder I had been working in. I burnt the disk and rebooted. No crashes or anything, but my SATA drive wasn't listed as a possible install destination and I didn't catch anything on the bottom of the screen mentioning SATA when windows was loading the drivers.

Have I missed something glaringly obvious? Or maybe I'm going about this in the wrong way. I have tried to follow all the instuctions to the letter, so I was hoping this would work.

Can anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance

James

edit: Just tried again, without removing all the lines with REM in front of them... just the two lines with the paths to the LAN and Sound folders. Still no joy.

Hi James

I understand your frustration as Ive been going through the same.

I strongly recommend trying this method by raskren: Unattended install, SATA drivers, and NO Floppy , I finally got it to work!

Ive tried alll the methods and the one that worked for me was the one above. Dont get me wrong, the other methods are good but for whatever reason they didnt work for me but the one above did.

My problem turned out to be in the [sourceDisksFiles] section in my txtsetup.txt. See my other post for more info on this. SI3112 SATA unattended help

hopfully this helps.

TWILL