WILL THIS REG WORK ?

skinless

I want to change the computer name that appears in the network neighbourhood with out restarting the computer and by the registry way . i figured out the key which holds it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ComputerName]
"ComputerName"="skinless"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ComputerName\ActiveComputerName]
"ComputerName"="-"

the question is will this reg change my " full computer name " and can be seen with new name on fly without asking to restart ?

there are more entries to be changed + you must restart your computer:

now here is my working autoplay media studio code,

hope you can make something out of it:

function CompConf(Arg1)
 local clname = Arg1;
 local cuname = String.Upper(Arg1);
 --fax
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "serverName", clname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "shortServerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "uNCName", "\\\\"..cuname.."\\fax", REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "serverName", clname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "shortServerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "uNCName", "\\\\"..cuname.."\\fax", REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "serverName", clname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "shortServerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\Print\\Printers\\Fax\\DsSpooler", "uNCName", "\\\\"..cuname.."\\fax", REG_SZ);
 --name
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\ComputerName\\ComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Control\\ComputerName\\ActiveComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\ComputerName\\ComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Control\\ComputerName\\ActiveComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\ComputerName\\ComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Control\\ComputerName\\ActiveComputerName", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 --tcpip
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "Hostname", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "NV Hostname", clname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "Hostname", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "NV Hostname", clname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "Hostname", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Tcpip\\Parameters", "NV Hostname", clname, REG_SZ);
 --eventlog
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet001\\Services\\Eventlog", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\ControlSet002\\Services\\Eventlog", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, "SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\Eventlog", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 --wmp
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_USERS, ".DEFAULT\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows Media\\WMSDK\\General", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_CURRENT_USER, "Software\\Microsoft\\Windows Media\\WMSDK\\General", "ComputerName", cuname, REG_SZ);
 --users
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_USERS, "S-1-5-19\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ShellNoRoam", "@", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_USERS, "S-1-5-20\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ShellNoRoam", "@", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_USERS, ".DEFAULT\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\ShellNoRoam", "@", cuname, REG_SZ);
 Registry.SetValue(HKEY_USERS, ".DEFAULT\\Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\ComputerDescriptions", cuname, "A "..clname.." computer with a MINX customized system.", REG_SZ);
end

there are more entries to be changed + you must restart your computer:
hmmmmm i will try these entires but restart is something i am not looking for .... i want

it happen on fly ;)

Try the reg then Disable the network connection and then re-enable it. That should restart the networking service. It may or may not work. Worth a shot though.

uuhmmmmmm definitely worth a shot

You might as well restart the Network Connections service using the services.msc snap-in

services.msc :wacko: lemme google it n c what that is :)

But i am still looking out with a restart :}

Yes, you posted a key in your first post, where you assumed you had the answer to your own problem ... You asked a question that you could have easily answered yourself. In fact, you did so in your next post, where you ask if there was another way.

What I would have considered a better question would simply be:

I want to change the computer name that appears in the network neighbourhood with out restarting the computer. I tried simply changing the registry values listed below, but that did not work. Does anyone know of a method that would achieve this.
... WTF ? ...

I guess I should have known better than to reply to your post, or even read a post with such a hopeless title, but fret not: this is the last reply you will get from me ... If you cannot be bothered, neither can I.

What have you got against a restart?
takes hell lot of time :(

@greenmachine

Yes, you posted a key in your first post, where you assumed you had the answer to your own problem ... You asked a question that you could have easily answered yourself. In fact, you did so in your next post, where you ask if there was another way.

I am a newbie to registry so i was nervous to make any change in registry...... thats y i first posted this ...........then some how made my mind to change the registry key that i posted in the first post...didnt work :( so came the second post with a question . Dude now u tell me do i have to change the title after the second post ???

No offences .... i aint here to ignite a flame but just to gain some ryt knowledge from u.

Yeah, sure! The reference u gave will be USEFUL in future but the context in which u gave it annoyed me a bit..

If it would have been a sarcastic way it would have been definitely be appreciated but treating beginners with such BOORISH Hostility is not ryt !

I m with a view that questions do creep up ur mind one by one when ur on a quest.

I must have hurt ur HELPING ego but so did u to my LEARNING ego ....lets keep that aside dude !

I am sorry if ur offended ....but i am here to make friends not flame forums... so can we just get around try to help ppl around in forums neglecting what happened in here :)

Say what ?

Peace

skinless substitute

I c ur a very old member on this forum n yes with the no. of posts up there u must quite respected too :)

So acc to me i can look forward from something from u also when i need help ;) ...with ur kinda xperience u know such things do often in here n take no time to light up !