Who Has The Cleanest/Most Organized System?

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

Jeremy, I have a question about your services. What is the point of having PDScheduler running as a manual service? How can you get PerfectDisk to defrag automatically if the scheduler is not running automatically?

You can get PerfectDisk to work without PDScheduler running all the time. You just need it to start up when you want to do a defrag.

As for a clean and optimized system... I think that I've done a pretty good job for that with my laptop. Just 20 processes running at startup with only having disabled many services that I don't need.

Have a look!

Desktop

Automatic Services

Some of those services are normally set to manual, but since their dependencies are in automatic, I've set these to automatic.

Please note that if I wanted to... I could get rid of AveDesk, CursorXP, Rainlendar, and wbload (WindowBlinds), and I'd almost be as low as Jeremy (almost...)

I've tried using nLite before, and it's definately a good program to use to slim down an XP install. I'd also like to be able to use it to get my drivers installed, but I can't seem to get my chipset drivers to integrate properly, or my video drivers. This is probably because the video drivers are not standard ATI, but Compaq adapted.

Another point... I rarely boot up anymore. With a slimmed down system, I only have to reboot when I install a new program or after 5 days or so. I just use hibernate on my laptop and all is good. There are some services that I need to be running for this to work properly, but it's worth it to me to use the extra 3 MB of RAM so that I can "boot" in 2.5 secs from hibernation.

As for the bloated-ness of my windows install... It took me one try to slipstream SP1a onto my install CD. After about 25 mins of installing windows, I pop in my Office cd, and another CD that has a compilation of my other programs that I use. Everything is done in about 3 hours. Total working time to get my system that way, 3 hours for install and about 1 for the prep. Not too shabby for a fully functional mobile system that I'm only going to re-install every 8 months or so...

There comes a point when the amount of time that you spend getting your install CDs/DVDs right doesn't pay back in the time that you save installing stuff. If you're making CDs to install over an entire office with a VLK of XP n stuff, then I can understand the need, but for common home users...

Not me!

?

Zxian, well, when I reformat, it takes me about an hour and a half because of I have an 111 GB HD. If there is a way to command Windows to only reformat the used space on the HD, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! Anyway, after that, it takes 10-15 minutes for me to install my nLited Windows XP. After that...it takes me over an hour to reinstall and reconfigure everything, tweakng, etc...

Not too bad for something I do every time a new version of nLite comes out...which is roughly two weeks. LOL, sometimes I skip a version. ;)

Zxian, well, when I reformat, it takes me about an hour and a half because of I have an 111 GB HD.

A really easy way to speed this up is to partition your hard drive into smaller partitions. I've got a smaller hard drive, but my paritions are laid out as follows.

C:\ - 8GB Windows & Programs

F:\ - 14.2GB Music

G:\ - 14.2GB Stuff (whatever else)

When I need to format, it only takes about 3 minutes to format the drive and then 25 minutes to install windows.

Of course, if you need more space for programs and whatnot, make your primary partition larger.

Hope this helps.