how2print to a copy/fax machine via netwrk win9x?

ceez

zup fellow msfn-ers!

I have 2 pc's, one has win95 and onw has win98 (upgrading is not an option :( ) that I have to connect to a ricoh copier/fax/network printer. Installing a network printer is pretty simple on 2k and xp because you can select a tcp/ip port when installing the printer. How do i accomplish this with win95/98? Is there a (free) app that can help me accomplish this? Or how would i go about it within windows?

thkz for the help,

ceez

:hello:

• 3 years later...

Check with the manufacturer if there's a network printer port installer available for win9x. If none is available then it's likely that you won't have a printer driver anyways for it?

Otherwise you could try using an hardware printer server or a router with a built-in printer server. However I wouldn't bet on using the fax/scanner functions then...

• 2 weeks later...

I think what you need is the Microsoft Internet Printing software, in particular a file called WPNPINS.EXE . It is said to give you the opportunity to specify an IP address for a printer, just like the "add printer" wizard built in to W2K.

I can't remember where I found my copy, but it was through the usual Scroogle search. I have just repeated a search and had 94 returns. Half or so of them look like trash, a half of what is left look like how to pages, so there should be quite a few places to download it from.

I haven't used it yet because the network printer that I did have in use was adaptable when I changed to a JetDirect server on a HP printer. However, I need to rebuild one PC in the next few months to obliterate some of the crap that has built up in it, and I will be trying the MS internet printing thingy then.

NW

(edited for atrocious spelling!)

Edited by North of Watford