Basic things for UI

OK .. first of all, i am a newbie and this is my first time doing something like this, and sorry about my english ... now ... :D

I have read as much as i could ... i have gathered a lot of info about Unattended install ... and i succeded in one thing .. i have implemented the sata drivers and it worked fine :D , although that`s not got to do with unattended installation but still ... :thumbup

now i want to make installation of XP Pro SP2 with my choice of programs which should be installed ( without messenger, games .. etc ) and with Office 2003 and some registry editing ... allinone ... on dvd of course

As far as i have understood, all i need here ...

1.For Full Unattended instalation, concerning instalation without additional app, like winrar,zonealarm etc, which are gonna be on the dvd but later btw, all i need is to edit WINNT.SIF ... right?

2. But if i want to install some apps and edit some registry settings, i must also put additional batch and txt files ... right?

If i want to install an app with UI, i must create a batch file for that app, so it could run and to put the destination directory in winnt.sif .. right?

And there are some additional commands like to force it not to restart etc, which are also put in winnt.sif ... right?

For example .. I want to install xpsp2 full automated, withoud any games, messenger, without stopping for regional options and user accounts .. in that case ... all i need is to edit WINNT.SIF ... "putin some of my wishes" and that`s all... in that case, i don`t need a batch file, right ???

Right?

P.S. - I have read .. but its all mixed up in my head .. so ... it would be very appreciated if anyone could explain me some basic things ... like what is ".sif" used for ... and batch ... and ...

Thanx in advance ...

:hello:

1.For Full Unattended instalation, concerning instalation without additional app, like winrar,zonealarm etc, which are gonna be on the dvd but later btw, all i need is to edit WINNT.SIF ... right?
to answer the question, yeah pretty much that is all u would have to do, just create ur own winnt.sif
2. But if i want to install some apps and edit some registry settings, i must also put additional batch and txt files ... right?

If i want to install an app with UI, i must create a batch file for that app, so it could run and to put the destination directory in winnt.sif .. right?

And there are some additional commands like to force it not to restart etc, which are also put in winnt.sif ... right?

to answer this question u must first decide how u r going to build ur install, r u going to use batch files or are u going to use the runonceex or what? i started out using batch files but switched to using the runonceex & then included some batch files to clean up the look of the install. most people put all the apps into a single batch but not all. it takes more time to setup it up the other ways but they might look better in the end. ur desicsion here. there are some commands that allow it not to restart but it varies from program to program on that, ck out the application switches for more help there. if it is windows u don't want to restart, then simply take the restart command out of the batch file.

OK .. i`ve gotta few more questions ... :)

1. Favorites ... Will it work if i put all my favorites from define user in "\XP\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Favorites\", the favorites are in 5 dirs, so will the setup copy all dirs in "All Users" and will those favourites apear in IE when installation finishes ?????

2. Drivers ... Is it correct if i put the path like this ??

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\000_SATA\SI3112r"

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\001_chipset\

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\002_sound\

.... Or i have to put like this ??

OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\000_SATA\SI3112r;Drivers\001_chipset\... ;Drivers\002_sound\...."

How do I install nforce2 chipset drivers ... the drivers are in ".exe" format and requires the restart ... the same question stands for ATI display drivers and control panel ... What should I do ? .... I have read that this should be put in [GuiRunOnce] ... and how do i do that ?

Will the drivers for chipset and gpu install correctly if the computer doesn`t restart ??

3. Registry Tweaks ... I have made a file E:\XP\$OEM$\cmdlines.txt and put in

<<[COMMANDS]

"REGEDIT /S regtweaks.reg">>

and have put in the same directory "regtweaks.reg", which i also have attached in here so you can see if i`ve made any mistakes ...

Does the sign " ; " and name of a reg tweak has to stand in mentioned ".reg" file ??

ECHO.

ECHO Applying Registry Tweaks...

REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\regtweaks.reg

"REGEDIT ".... - is this just the title or name of dir

What else i have to do so these regtweaks would apply during installation ???

4. Batch file .. I simply enter the commands like this above, and that`s it ... and of course make one line empty between the commands ... right ?

So ... according to the pdf manual ... I make the files and put their paths in batch file and that`s it ...

what about cmdlines.txt .. when i use that ??

I have read here in forums that there are other methods of installing apps ... are they easier that with the batch file ???

And if anyone can explain me what are the connection between: cmdlines.txt, batch and winnt.sif ... i btw know their usage, but i do not know how are they connected between ...

I`ve figured out many things, but i am asking some ( maybe dumb ) questions, but i am just trying to be sure of what i am doing ... with less possible mistakes as i can ... so ... sorry if i am a LITTLE boring :)))

Thanx in advance

regtweaks.reg