Norton Partition Magic 8.0.5 Bootdisk

jeet

If you want to get a image of your CD with Partition Magic or else it's very simple. You need Nero (any version) or WinISO. You can create your image of the software CD. I recommend WinISO ! it know a lot of image standards : ISO, BIN, etc.

After you get your CD image you can put-it on a CD whwnever you need, if you choose winiSO you even can add some other files on your image (ex. serial numer, etc)

Important: the v8.05 version of partition magic has more bugs introduced rather than fixed, at least the dos verion, all the bugs are similar to the bugs in symatec ghost 8 corp. edition (dos version), but even worse!

So stick to use the last powerquest release v8.02 is my advice!

• 4 weeks later...

about the existence of PM 8.0.5

Partition Magic Patch?

partition magic OS partition problem

@Incroyable HULK

PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.02 is a minor upgrade to 8.0x. One of the main difference is the need of a serial to activate the product.

PQ PM 8.0 build 1242

PQ PM 8.01 build 1274

PQ PM 8.02 build 1278 or 1291

Norton PartitionMagic 8.05 Build 1371

Now the version released by Symantec is Norton PM 8.0.5.

Probably a few bugs corrections and some GUI changes from Powerquest to Symantec.

Your organization should give some money to Symantec

PartitionMagic upgrade

Well... for now I am using Acronis Disk Director Suite 9 wich is a lot better that Partition Magic... but still I wanted to add this one to my multiboot CD/DVD for those rare cases where Acronis is unable to load (really rare :P )

So I downloaded an All-In-One Norton CD (I don't think it is an official release ;))

and I just took the 2.88Mo Floppy Image of Partition Magic 8.0.5 and it seems to be working a lot better than my 8.0.1 version.

Now I want to add Ghost to my CD/DVD so I bough the newest version 9. I am really dissapointed because

1- You cannot create a floppy version of this product!

2- Booting from the CD doesn't allow to create an Image, only in Windows!!!

3- It is just too big to be integrated on a CD... it is based on WinPE

So once again, I'll take a look into the All-In-One Norton CD and extract a Ghost 2003 Floppy image?

**** Symantec

You can have ghost running far simpler.

1. Install Ghost 8.

2. Go into the installed folder, copy away these files:

gdisk.exe
GHOST.EXE
MOUSE.COM
nGhost.BAT

Contents of nGhost.bat:

SET TZ=GHO-05:30
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading...
GHOST.EXE  -forceusb

This is for my specific needs, that I need to set the timezone, and start ghost with USB storage devices support. The above nGhost.bat is so that whenever you need to start ghost, it will run with mouse support.

That's it - boot into win98/ME boot-disk with CDrom support (using our multi-boot ;) ) - and go into the folder on the CD where the ghost files (the 4 files mentioned above) are located and run nGhost.

I found that doing it this way, saves lot of effort, and space on CD too.

Ok Cool! I'll do that when I grab Ghost 2003.

A few interrogations:

1- I suppose there is no network support with this method (unless there is a switch for that too!)

2- I can put the command into Autoexec.bat and then build a floppy image of this stuff. (I prefer to run self-contained floppy images)

3- TimeZone? what are the benefit

Thanks again prathapml :thumbup

1- I suppose there is no network support with this method (unless there is a switch for that too!)
There must be..... its all the same things actually - so its just some switch, to enable ghost-casting. Just that you need some more files copied, I think.

yes, that's quite possible.

I don't know! :lol: When norton ghost boot-disk was created, it came like that, with the time-zone pre-set. (I think for the sake of properly identifying file-times). And just because it was already there, and I did not see any bad-effects of that, I continued using it.

can I take mouse.com elsewhere and build a nGhost.bat myself (is there other stuff in that .bat)
Yes, and there's nothing else in that .bat.

Try creating a norton ghost boot-disk from with the app. That's when it extracts the DOS-based files from a file within its installed folder, and writes to floppy. I hate floppy, so I use virtual floppy disks. ;)

Ghost 8 Corporate UniCast/MultiCast with a Ghost Server.

I use a mix of Universal TCP/IP Network Bootdisk + Super MS-DOS 7.10 Boot Disk saved as IMG file and installed on a PXELINUX installed on a Win2K3 server with TFTP and DHCP services configured.

Client computers should have PXE compliant NIC (that's not the case of my own notebook). :(

Off topic because we're talking about Multi-boot CD/DVDs but the image of this disk could be used in a multiboot CD.

• 2 months later...

Open WinImage.

Insert the first floppy disk into your computer. Go to Disk -> Read Disk (Ctrl+R)

If including a second floppy insert it into your drive. Go to Image -> Change format... and select 2.88 MB. Next select Image -> Inject... Browse to your floppy drive, select all of the files, and then choose Open. It will ask if you want to inject the files, choose Yes.

Let's double check that with all this tampering we haven't messed with the boot sector. Go to Image -> Boot Sector Properties... and press the Windows 98 button. If the disk is obviously DOS oriented, you could try MSDOS 6.2 if the Windows 98 does not work.

Now save the file: File -> Save. Give the image file a name and save as an IMA file by selecting "Image file (*.IMA)" in the "Save as type:" drop-down box .