XP Pro - MCE05

what3v3r

i was wondering... since MCE is just an XP Pro with 3 additional .cab files afaik - how does the installer know when to install plain xp pro or MCE?

i guess its propably one line, something like mce="yes" but where? does any of you know?

Yes, during the install process XP does somenumber crunching on your key and if it fits the requirements for an MCE key it runs the installers for the MCE cabs. Problem is there's no 'corporate' version of MCE so you have to do an activation. But aside from that MCE 2005 is very cool :)

Hmm.. It only depends on the serial number? I don't think so.. Because I remember installing my Media Center 2004 with my XP Pro SP2 serial, and it didn't work.

Anyway, I also saw an article from Microsoft about Windows Tablet PC Edition before, and it says serial numbers of XP Pro and Tablet PC Edition are not interchangeable.

I will try my XP Pro serial on my Media Center 2005 later.

Problem is there's no 'corporate' version of MCE so you have to do an activation.

Well, in my case, I'm using Windows Media Center 2004 on a media center pc, and it never asked me for an activation. But when I install Windows Media Center 2004 on a non media center pc, it asks for an activation. So my thoery is, if Windows Media Center detects the special hardware that it requires, it will not ask for activation. But I'm not sure. It is just my theory, so I can be wrong.

It's to my understanding that the key you put in must correspond to the PID which is defined in setupp.ini (yes there are two p's in the filename). Although this web page is grossly outdated and appears all but abandoned, you may find some info here that will get you on the right track.

http://www.tech-hints.com/xp.html#3

It's to my understanding that the key you put in must correspond to the PID which is defined in setupp.ini  (yes there are two p's in the filename).  Although this web page is grossly outdated and appears all but abandoned, you may find some info here that will get you on the right track.

http://www.tech-hints.com/xp.html#3

I kinda understand that, thats what I did with my Windows 2000 SP4 Slipstream,

but how would it help install MCE from XP

• 4 months later...

Media Center uses OEM keys only.

It was built only for Media Center PC's without one, you will not beable to use it the way that it was intended. The reason that it has no activation is that microsoft allows an, OEM to put the information about their BIOS into the setup files. That stops the activation process. :) I hope that this helps some of you.

I tryed installing MCE with my XP Pro CD.

Nothing....INVALID F***IN SERIAL

I wanted to try out MCE so bad after I saw this tread.....

It's not just the serial - it's might also be the "PID" files (those that do most of the number crunshing) and probably the SETUPP.INI. The PID files on MCE 2005 and Tablet 2005 might accept a Pro key if you modify the SETUPP.INI. I think... :blink:

Media Center uses OEM keys only.

It was built only for Media Center PC's without one, you will not beable to use it the way that  it was intended. The reason that it has no activation is that microsoft allows an, OEM to put the information about their BIOS into the setup files. That stops the activation process.  :) I hope that this helps some of you.

One exception though: MCE/Tablet (2005 and earlier) does exist as non-OEM for companies which subscribe to MSDN. B) They do require activation btw.